*******The Official Houston Texans 2023: The reign of Meco thread************

576,469 Views | 8722 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Texan_Aggie
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My tax guy is already wearing a new logo polo today
The Porkchop Express
You guys are all burying the lede - gangsta Cal holding it down for the H in the hype video.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
SgtBarbarossa
BEVEL

... but at least it's a logical bevel
Ag_07
AG
I didn't even notice it until your post.
LB12Diamond
AG
Those are not that bad. The numbers design are a little nuts but besides that one, look pretty solid.

Not sure about the red helmet color. Will wait to see how they look in a game. The horn design I actually like a lot though. Reminds of the Vikings and other helmets done like that one. Always thought they were a solid look.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I don't understand why the primary blue jersey is a different template than the red jersey and white jersey. Those three should be all the same template with the horns on the jersey and the alternate jersey has its own template. Just inconsistent. Sharp look though all around.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Considering we will wear the white ones the most (9-10 times at least a year) I'm glad those ones hit.

Realistically, the home blue will only be about 4/5 games as I assume they'll do white out for 1, H-Town for 1, and then battle red for 2.
Mr.Bond
AG
Kind of surprised the H hats aren't for sale yet
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

redag06
Those numbers are awful.
cc10106
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

I don't understand why the primary blue jersey is a different template than the red jersey and white jersey. Those three should be all the same template with the horns on the jersey and the alternate jersey has its own template. Just inconsistent. Sharp look though all around.
Agreed on both points. This is a good update overall for a team that really needed one without getting too far from what they've had.

The resemblance to the Titans logo on the H-town helmet isn't nearly as noticeable for me when viewed with the rest of said uniform. As for the new color, it has history here beyond the Oilers and complements what we already have. They could have overdid it but didn't, and that color shouldn't be so exclusive to Tennessee. Think about all the MLB teams that brought back powder blue uniforms in the last few years.

The white jerseys are very sharp, and I like the change to the red helmets since they weren't going to make it the primary one. Red letters on the *blue jerseys look good as well. Love the alternate logo with the Houston blue.
Mr.Bond
AG
https://www.fanatics.com/nfl/houston-texans/houston-texans-new-era-omaha-59fifty-fitted-hat-navy/o-2438+t-14829211+p-7988120261779+z-9-4052110519?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r0c2:po-2

Nearly all sizes gone
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

West Roxbury
If it doesn't say Oilers it doesn't count.
Thinice
Any new thoughts on us staying with our current position or moving up/down?
Snake Jazz
Thinice said:

It's Nick Caserio. The most likely bet is that he will move up or down. He rarely sits still. Just depends on how the draft progresses and who is available.
IrishAg
Snake Jazz said:

Thinice said:

It's Nick Caserio. The most likely bet is that he will move up or down. He rarely sits still. Just depends on how the draft progresses and who is available.
Agree, I bet it will depend on any runs starting on defensive players in the last half of the first round. If the first round holds true to being a mainly offensive one then I bet we will probably stay close to the current spots we're in.
LB12Diamond
AG
H-Town on the back of those H fitted hats would have been sweet.

Also, since the draft starts tomorrow. I want to say I'm so glad we already have Stroud. Would have not liked taking a QB in this draft.
Snake Jazz
IrishAg said:

Snake Jazz said:

Thinice said:

Agree, I bet it will depend on any runs starting on defensive players in the last half of the first round. If the first round holds true to being a mainly offensive one then I bet we will probably stay close to the current spots we're in.
Could be. But, if the first round is mostly offense and there is a DT available in the late first who they thought would be gone, I could see him moving up to get him.

But, generally I agree. DT seems to be their biggest need and there seem to be a cluster of guys who should be available in the second round who would make sense.
Diggity
AG
thought this was interesting

IrishAg
Snake Jazz said:

IrishAg said:

Snake Jazz said:

Thinice said:

Could be. But, if the first round is mostly offense and there is a DT available in the late first who they thought would be gone, I could see him moving up to get him.

But, generally I agree. DT seems to be their biggest need and there seem to be a cluster of guys who should be available in the second round who would make sense.
I've seen Maason Smith creeping up in mock drafts recently and usually we're one of the teams linked with him. I thought he would be a great grab in the 3rd since before his ACL tear a year and a half ago he was pretty dominate, so with his rise maybe we grab him in the 2nd. And I as I type this, I just saw article on that he might make it into the 1st round now, so yeah we might make a jump into the back half of the 1st - https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-lsu-dt-maason-smith-sees-selection-in-late-round-1-as-possibility

Overall, I'm starting to think that the DT boards are very different for most teams compared to where the draft experts have people ranked.
Next Year is the Year
AG
It seems like there's some growing excitement about Metchie right now in the Texans organization. Apparently, he is finally looking like the player everyone hoped for him to be after he was drafted now that he's gotten past his knee injury and illness. If that's the case, the offense could be really fun to watch this year.
IrishAg
Next Year is the Year said:

It seems like there's some growing excitement about Metchie right now in the Texans organization. Apparently, he is finally looking like the player everyone hoped for him to be after he was drafted now that he's gotten past his knee injury and illness. If that's the case, the offense could be really fun to watch this year.
Oh wow, yeah, if he can get up to form then that is a very robust WR room right now.
Snake Jazz
Next Year is the Year said:

I certainly hope this is true, but it seems a little odd they would trade for Diggs if the organization thinks Metchie is going to resemble the player he was in college.
ds00
CJ was talking unsolicited about how good Metchie looked when they worked out in California. Bodes well if Diggs is indeed a one and done. Metchie was a second round pick so there's reason to believe he could return to form after some really difficult circumstances.
Snake Jazz
IrishAg said:

Snake Jazz said:

IrishAg said:

Snake Jazz said:

Thinice said:

I've seen Maason Smith creeping up in mock drafts recently and usually we're one of the teams linked with him. I thought he would be a great grab in the 3rd since before his ACL tear a year and a half ago he was pretty dominate, so with his rise maybe we grab him in the 2nd. And I as I type this, I just saw article on that he might make it into the 1st round now, so yeah we might make a jump into the back half of the 1st - https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-lsu-dt-maason-smith-sees-selection-in-late-round-1-as-possibility

Overall, I'm starting to think that the DT boards are very different for most teams compared to where the draft experts have people ranked.
I'm not sure which one would be best, but whoever they take at DT needs to be capable of generating an interior pass rush. I'm worried that Anderson and Hunter will beat their blockers on the outside, but opposing QBs will just step up in the pocket and dump off passes untouched.

Honestly, I would have no problem with them taking two DTs on Day 2. At least one should contribute right away, and their current DT collection is pretty weak. I'm more comfortable with their CBs than many others are...I don't think you'll draft anybody in the second or third round who is going to start this year. They need depth at safety more than a CB, in my opinion.
3B Paul 97
AG
There is some flaw in the logic given it is about a second contract with a team and not actual results. There are more teams not willing to give a second big contract to a RB.
Diggity
AG
certainly not a perfect measure, but does allow for some controlled variables.

wouldn't your point give credence to the idea that using a 1st Round pick on a RB is a bad idea though?
Max Power
AG
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/amon-ra-st-brown-agrees-to-four-year-extension-with-lions

This season will be a big deal for Collins. He was definitely looking like a top 10 WR last year, I'm guessing Caserio wanted to see him on the field with a guy like Diggs to determine what his value is. Diggs and Collins will both be UFA's after the 2024 season.

St. Brown
1515 yards (3rd) in 16 games (94.7 yards/game)
668 YAC (2nd)
10 TDs (tied for 4th)
12.7 yards/reception (43rd)
119 Receptions (tied for 2nd)
72.6% catch rate
75 first downs (3rd)

Collins
1297 yards (8th) in 15 games (86.5 yards/game)
549 YAC (9th)
8 TDs (tied for 8th)
16.2 yards/reception (7th)
80 receptions (23rd)
73.4% catch rate
53 first downs (tied for 15th)

I'll echo the points above about Metchie, hearing this year he should be back close to 100%. If he's the guy that Houston traded up in the second round for then this WR corps will be formidable: Collins, Diggs, Dell, Metchie, and Brown is a hell of a group of guys to rotate.
Ranger222
AG
What about center at 42? Could have either Powers-Johnson or Fraizer available, both of which would be good value for that selection. That would allow you to move Scruggs to LG full time (I unfortunately do not hold a lot of hope that Kenyon is going to turn it around)

At 59 you could still then go for a DT, LB (like Cooper) or CB (Max Melton, brother of Bo, is intriguing to me here)
Ryan34
AG
Ranger222 said:

What about center at 42? Could have either Powers-Johnson or Fraizer available, both of which would be good value for that selection. That would allow you to move Scruggs to LG full time (I unfortunately do not hold a lot of hope that Kenyon is going to turn it around)

At 59 you could still then go for a DT, LB (like Cooper) or CB (Max Melton, brother of Bo, is intriguing to me here)

I think they like Scruggs more at C, so OG at 42 seems more likely than C.
Ryan34
AG
If we count Denico Autry as a DT (which I think we should), then we signed like 5 or 6 DTs already. I think CB and S are bigger needs, and probably a 3rd LB. We can get a 2 down NT in the 3rd or 4th round.
3B Paul 97
AG
Diggity said:

certainly not a perfect measure, but does allow for some controlled variables.

wouldn't your point give credence to the idea that using a 1st Round pick on a RB is a bad idea though?

That is true. Some teams might also prefer to trade a former 1st round pick (at any position) for more draft capital if they feel they can replace that production with a cheaper option. With the salary cap, some positions can cost a lot for a second contract. That could be counted as a "bust" with this analysis, while it might actually work out well for the team with the old and new guys. Just seems that actual results (stats, Pro Bowls, etc) would be a better overall indicator. Not saying the analysis is entirely wrong, I would just do it differently.
Max Power
AG
Ryan34 said:

If we count Denico Autry as a DT (which I think we should), then we signed like 5 or 6 DTs already. I think CB and S are bigger needs, and probably a 3rd LB. We can get a 2 down NT in the 3rd or 4th round.
Right now my guess is that CB, S, and LB are the most likely day 2 picks with the caveat of unexpected best player available on the board that just can't be bypassed.

FWIW here are the visits the Texans have had in the pre-draft process:
  • Braelon Allen, Running Back, Wisconsin (COM)
  • Jaylon Allen, Defensive End, Memphis (LOC)
  • Terrion Arnold, Cornerback, Alabama (COM)
  • Javon Baker^, Wide Receiver, Central Florida (COM, T30)
  • Jaheim Bell, Tight End, Florida State (COM)
  • Javon Bullard, Cornerback, Georgia (T30)
  • Calen Bullock, Safety, USC (T30)
  • Keon Coleman, Wide Receiver, Florida State (COM)
  • Edgerrin Cooper, Linebacker, Texas A&M (LOC)
  • Jacob Cowing, Wide Receiver, Arizona (COM)
  • Ray Davis, Running Back, Kentucky (T30)
  • Jaylan Ford, Outside Linebacker, Texas (COM)
  • Troy Franklin, Wide Receiver, Oregon (COM)
  • Travis Glover, Offensive Tackle, Georgia State (T30)
  • Tylan Grable, Offensive Tackle, Central Florida (T30)
  • Isaac Guerendo, Running Back, Louisville (T30)
  • Michael Hall Jr., Defensive Tackle, Ohio State (T30)
  • Cam Hart^, Cornerback, Notre Dame (SR, COM)
  • Jamal Hill^, Safety, Oregon (T30, VIR)
  • Jalyx Hunt^, Defensive End, Houston Baptist (T30, LOC)
  • Bucky Irving, Running Back, Oregon (COM)
  • Adisa Isaac, Defensive End, Penn State (T30)
  • Theo Johnson, Tight End, Penn State (COM)
  • Mohamed Kamara, Defensive End, Colorado State (T30)
  • Kalen King, Cornerback, Penn State (COM)
  • Marshawn Kneeland, Defensive End, Western Michigan (T30)
  • Trey Knox, Tight End, South Carolina (PRO)
  • Kamari Lassiter, Cornerback, Georgia (COM)
  • Xavier Legette, Wide Receiver, South Carolina (T30)
  • Christian Mahogany, Offensive Guard, Boston College (T30)
  • Luke McCaffrey, Wide Receiver, Rice (LOC)
  • Kool-Aid McKinstry, Cornerback, Alabama (COM)
  • Quinyon Mitchell, Cornerback, Toledo (COM)
  • Jordan Morgan, Offensive Tackle, Arizona (WOR)
  • Malik Mustapha, Safety, Wake Forest (COM)
  • Bo Nix, Quarterback, Oregon (COM)
  • Pheldarius Payne, Defensive Tackle, Virginia Tech (VIR)
  • Mark Perry, Safety, TCU (VIR)
  • Andru Phillips, Cornerback, Kentucky (T30)
  • Ennis Rakestraw Jr.^, Cornerback, Missouri (COM, T30)
  • Spencer Rattler, Quarterback, South Carolina (T30)
  • Chop Robinson, Outside Linebacker, Penn State (COM)
  • Layden Robinson, Offensive Guard, Texas A&M (LOC)
  • Roger Rosengarten, Offensive Tackle, Washington (T30)
  • Mike Sainristil, Cornerback, Michigan (COM)
  • Will Shipley, Running Back, Clemson (COM)
  • Jaylin Simpson, Safety, Auburn (T30)
  • Ainias Smith, Wide Receiver, Texas A&M (PRO)
  • Omar Speights, Linebacker, LSU (VIR)
  • Cade Stover, Tight End, Ohio State (COM)
  • Kingsley Suamataia, Offensive Tackle, BYU (T30)
  • Brian Thomas Jr., Wide Receiver, LSU (COM)
  • Xavier Thomas, Defensive End, Clemson (T30)
  • Jamari Thrash, Wide Receiver, Louisville (COM)
  • Jordan Whittington, Wide Receiver, Texas (COM)
  • Nate Wiggins, Cornerback, Clemson (COM)
  • Payton Wilson, Linebacker, N.C. State (T30)
  • Xavier Worthy, Wide Receiver, Texas (COM)

SR Senior Bowl meeting.
EW East-West Shrine meeting.
COM Combine meeting.
INT Interested.
VINT Very Interested.
PRO Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
T30 Top 30 Private Visit. Prospect making an official Top 30 Visit.
WOR Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM Some Type of Meeting.
VIR Virtual Meeting.
% indicates more than one meeting at an event.
^ has met with team at more than one event.
# indicates meeting set up outside of the 2024 Senior Bowl or the 2024 East-West Shrine Game
mAgnoliAg
AG
Ryan34 said:

This
MelvinUdall
CB, LB, and RB are the biggest needs IMO…I agree safety needs to be addressed as well DT at some point.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Let's go full H-Town on the new jerseys and have "Be Someone" used as the last names for every player.
First Page
Page 249 of 250

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.