universal remote for seniors/people that can't use the tiny firestick/roku remotes

986 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by KRamp90
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to locate a remote that will operate an Insignia Smart TV that is easier to handle for my elderly dad. The current remote is just too tiny and cumbersome with the circle navigation for him:

Current remote https://a.co/d/fkQNSYS has the voice button so he uses that some, but what remote exists out there that I could literally program so it can work something like an Insignia Smart TV, YouTubeTV, Prime, Netflix, etc?

Needs to be larger, with larger buttons...these I am finding do not have the up/down/left/right navigation buttons which are somewhat required for all these things to be navigable. Would also like to have it voice enabled but that sounds impossible to find.
dcaggie04
AG
Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Seniors-Elderly-2-Device-Control/dp/B0CYSNWRSC/ref=asc_df_B0CYSNWRSC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693634512904&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=405120876466192073&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028306&hvtargid=pla-2298619685276&psc=1&mcid=aa5806176f2333b2a3ee264709bc171b&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxeyxBhC7ARIsAC7dS387iKCwfri8MKGAyS80FVEjuFHo7J8ppqlvZX0p1Wk6IWEERjc8kYQaAtMHEALw_wcB
CapCity12thMan
AG
this entire process is gonna be trial and error, but yes I looked at that one as a viable option...BUT

1) does not have voice control capability (maybe not an issue)
2) interestingly they show the dimension of the remote as only being 2.95 inches long, which clearly wrong
3) Not sure how elderly would be able to work with a cover that slides down to expose other buttons. Seems like that is counter to the entire use case
FatZilla
AG
dcaggie04 said:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Seniors-Elderly-2-Device-Control/dp/B0CYSNWRSC/ref=asc_df_B0CYSNWRSC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693634512904&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=405120876466192073&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028306&hvtargid=pla-2298619685276&psc=1&mcid=aa5806176f2333b2a3ee264709bc171b&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxeyxBhC7ARIsAC7dS387iKCwfri8MKGAyS80FVEjuFHo7J8ppqlvZX0p1Wk6IWEERjc8kYQaAtMHEALw_wcB

Doubt it. Its a very limited remote. Its IR only, not RF so things like the firestick or roku sticks with no IR sensors wont work. Second, "learning 2 models and switch freely between 2 different devices", its pretty much crap as it can only learn 2 devices max.

Sofabaton or harmony remotes are the closest things to a true universal remote but those have normal size buttons.
FatZilla
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

this entire process is gonna be trial and error, but yes I looked at that one as a viable option...BUT

1) does not have voice control capability (maybe not an issue)
2) interestingly they show the dimension of the remote as only being 2.95 inches long, which clearly wrong
3) Not sure how elderly would be able to work with a cover that slides down to expose other buttons. Seems like that is counter to the entire use case

Have you thought about using like an Alexa to control the devices? Write down the basic commands for most devices like tv on/off, volume up/down, change tv source to X, launch X app?

Remotes would likely be required still for inputs a command isnt good for like scrolling through movies on Netflix for example.

Roku integration how to:
https://support.roku.com/en-ca/article/360017961074

Firestick should integrate pretty easily as Amazon owns both it and alexa.
jr15aggie
AG
dcaggie04 said:

That looks like the perfect remote... look at the Amazon pic of these old people living life and having a blast with this remote!

jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Doubt it. Its a very limited remote. Its IR only, not RF so things like the firestick or roku sticks with no IR sensors wont work. Second, "learning 2 models and switch freely between 2 different devices", its pretty much crap as it can only learn 2 devices max.

Sofabaton or harmony remotes are the closest things to a true universal remote but those have normal size buttons.

Reading the OP, it doesn't sound like they have a fire stick or anything else... it's just an Insignia smart TV so shouldn't be any need for an RF remote.

In my experience (my parents and in laws are 70+ also), the simpler the better. This looks like a good remote for that age group. Should work on modern smart TVs and it looks like it's 20 years old. Perfect.
FatZilla
AG
jr15aggie said:

Quote:

Reading the OP, it doesn't sound like they have a fire stick or anything else... it's just an Insignia smart TV so shouldn't be any need for an RF remote.

In my experience (my parents and in laws are 70+ also), the simpler the better. This looks like a good remote for that age group. Should work on modern smart TVs and it looks like it's 20 years old. Perfect.

Op title has both firestick and roku listed in it as the remotes to replace, thats what i went from.
CapCity12thMan
AG
To be clear, the firestick Roku comment was merely a comparison of size. He has an insignia smart tv that has all the apps on it he uses: YTTV, Prime vid, Netflix, Freevie, etc.

We currently have velcroed the remote to a somewhat wider and longer piece of wood just so he can at least grab it easier and rest it on things to try and hit the buttons.

He does use the voice capabilities of the insignia remote but I can't figure out where the ultimate list of commands are…is it "open espn" or "change the channel to espn" things like that. Also it doesn't appear that the voice command can do some of the deeper things like "turn closed captions on/off". He likes them off when watching sports but on for movies.

I think my question is - it would be good if the voice commands could do a lot of the YTTV navigation and options you would do, such as:

1) turn CC on/off
2) add a show to your library
3) pause/continue
4) go to Home/Library/Live

Just things like that. He uses the audio feature of the Insignia remote (which I believe is Alexa). He does NOT use his alexa in his room to navigate anything. With the remote, he has to hit the Alexa button so if eliminating that would work, we could do everything by voice.

Its just a difficult situation - he's 90 and 100% mentally sharp - helps my kids with their algebra homework (former college math professor), and not being able to write he does it all in his head. Seeing his ability to navigate technology disappearing, which is his only form of freedom is getting rough.
FatZilla
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

To be clear, the firestick Roku comment was merely a comparison of size. He has an insignia smart tv that has all the apps on it he uses: YTTV, Prime vid, Netflix, Freevie, etc.

We currently have velcroed the remote to a somewhat wider and longer piece of wood just so he can at least grab it easier and rest it on things to try and hit the buttons.

He does use the voice capabilities of the insignia remote but I can't figure out where the ultimate list of commands are…is it "open espn" or "change the channel to espn" things like that. Also it doesn't appear that the voice command can do some of the deeper things like "turn closed captions on/off". He likes them off when watching sports but in for movies.

Is everything he uses just the tv itself? No other set boxes or players? If so, any large remote should work. This one has a good set of reviews and looking at the pictures people have posted, its a good size remote.

GE Universal Remote Control, Samsung TV Remote, Universal TV Remote for Roku TV, Vizio, LG, Sony, Sharp, Apple TV, TCL, Panasonic, Smart TVs, Streaming Players, Blu-ray, DVD, 4-Device, Silver, 33709 https://a.co/d/0afrMTu
KRamp90
AG
I have a Function Remote that works well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.