Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

204,616 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by HarleySpoon
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ejection is a dangerous and painful event. MFP talked about "giving an airplane back to the taxpayers", i.e. ejecting, and I was glad she had that mindset.

I think you have to have already committed to it as a possible course of action, before you climb in the cockpit. Human nature is to try and fix things, to save the aircraft, and to not get hurt during the ejection sequence.

One really has to overcome a bunch of their human nature, in a very short time, to successfully eject.
AgLA06
AG
I imagine that's even more of a critical weakness for high confidence alpha fighter pilots who don't see admitting failure as an option.

If their mindset was eject first over fly it out of danger, they probably wouldn't be pilots.
PA24
AG
Can you see the cloud maker?
CharlieBrown17
AG
My take on a lot of the observations in the last half page or so

Pulling the nose up would partially be reacting to the ground and partially trying to max perform in the vertical axis. Approach speed is always 1.x stall speed in a given configuration, the .x changes with plane. So knowing that, if you're low trying to avoid the ground trading any extra speed to attempt a climb closer to stall speed makes sense.

I'm surprised they never went for the ejection handle but not surprised it didn't happen when the mishap instructor noticed the unsafe condition. If you're flying a jet that doesn't normally spool down towards idle on approach then there's no reason to think you aren't going to be able to get the engines spun up and get away from the ground. If the mishap instructor had been aware the throttles were at idle that long then he wouldn't have been in the spot he was in anyway. I imagine he thought the mishap student had just brought the throttles back and it would be a quick spin up to full burner but it wasn't.

Both of those paragraphs combine to explain why dropping the nose also wouldn't have saved them. They didn't have the altitude to trade for airspeed to pull out of the sink rate because the engines weren't producing power. They needed to stay airborne as long as possible to get the engines producing power. Don't think dropping the nose would've done that. He maaaaay have had enough altitude to dump the nose to get fast enough to pull flaps in to a higher lift/lower drag setting but that's not a normal maneuver and may not even been taught in the 38.
It's a last ditch move in my jet taught in case you lose a second engine on a departure or arrival. Even being taught that technique I'd wager it wouldn't come to my mind in a similar situation to this mishap.
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

I'm guessing that if anyone was dropped into that exact scenario at that exact moment, basically no one would choose ejection as the first choice.
Without a doubt…can't imagine nor understand how the IP remained unaware the plane was at idle for 18 seconds! That was the fatal mistake.
CanyonAg77
AG
BoerneGator said:

Quote:

I'm guessing that if anyone was dropped into that exact scenario at that exact moment, basically no one would choose ejection as the first choice.
Without a doubt…can't imagine nor understand how the IP remained unaware the plane was at idle for 18 seconds! That was the fatal mistake.
The video linked above gives a pretty good explanation. Basically, both student and IP were rushed, overwhelmed, and behind the curve. Poor visibility added to their task saturation.

Anyone here who has flown T-38s, can you hear the engines through your helmets and ear protection? Somewhere I read that 80% throttle is normal for this approach, and the student pulled them to idle. In a piston engine, that would be a huge difference in sound. I don't know about the jet.

Although, the video did mention that when you get task saturated, auditory clues are one of the things your brain shuts out first.
hillcountryag86
AG
It's really stunning all the mistakes, misses, overlooks, etc., both these pilots did. And after the fact, I'm shaking my head and at first thought, "... how dumb of these guys! They should not be flying."

But then, Lemoine strongly pointed out it can happen to anyone.

And it was easy for me to armchair this with lots of time to read about it. Those two had mere seconds in an unforgiving airplane.
CanyonAg77
AG
Pilots are the world's worst in blaming the victim. I think there is a level of fear, knowing a small screwup can kill you.

So when someone does die, the rest of the community wants to find some way that the guy messed up, and to reassure yourself that you'd never be that stupid/careless/distracted/behind the plane.

When the truth is, all of us are more than capable, and probably have made far larger mistakes, but gotten away with them because we weren't flying a 60-year-old, high performance aircraft.
hillcountryag86
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Pilots are the world's worst in blaming the victim. I think there is a level of fear, knowing a small screwup can kill you.

So when someone does die, the rest of the community wants to find some way that the guy messed up, and to reassure yourself that you'd never be that stupid/careless/distracted/behind the plane.

When the truth is, all of us are more than capable, and probably have made far larger mistakes, but gotten away with them because we weren't flying a 60-year-old, high performance aircraft.
I took away that Lemoine's presentation reflected everything you just wrote, Canyon. And I think he genuinely wanted to focus on helping prevent this from happening again. And I think he showed great sympathy for both pilots.
lb3
AG
Pilots are *******s about accidents.

I know I've been over critical of John Denver in his accident. When I was a teen I did lots of stupid stuff in planes which may or may not have included a touch-n-go in a subdivision or 'canyon' flying below the banks of the Brazos River.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Really seems like the attitude is shifting more from blame to learn. At least for the young guys, the only recent mishap I've read/been in a class where it was discussed that was armchaired hard was the E-11 in Afghanistan.

But they also royally ****ed that up.
Jetpilot86
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

As a 36 year, 13000 hour pilot, I'm gonna disagree. No, the IP didn't save the day and "should" have, but task saturation can be subtle and very real. Been there, done that and sometimes, regrettably, the last line of defense is "but for the grace of God go I." Been there too. The best tools against that in my experience, are training, experience, judgement, and the humility to not blame the victim, but figure out what went wrong with "them" so you hopefully won't repeat it by learning from their "mistakes". While I have all Civillian time, I've nudged "the line" enough times when I was younger and dumber that I know where that line is all to well, now that I'm older. It's just not fun when you are the one being analyzed, be you dead, or alive.

The truth is that the age of airplane doesn't matter, nor does the performance, I've lost friends in both Piper Cubs and C130's. You can do dumb things and get away with it, and if it's not your day, it's not going to be your day no matter how much Chuck Yeager you have in you. The training, experience, and judgement can move things in your favor, just as the opposite is as likely to make it easy for it not to be your day. All you can do is your best to keep the grim reaper at bay until you make it, or you don't.
CanyonAg77
AG
Always a great day when your daughter stops by in her cool ride

Even better when she does an unrestricted climb out
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Thanks for the pic! Was about to ask.

Aside: I can't quite read the name painted on that aircraft. It makes wonder if your favorite pilot has a given nickname/callsign and if you can share it.

Same for CharlieBrown17
CanyonAg77
AG
They aren't really assigned to one Jet, and I don't really know what the procedure is for getting your name on one. She did get her name on a T-6 during her FAIP tour.

Nicknames come and go, I am aware of at least 4 she has had. Each squadron gives you their own, at least in her case. Don't know what the current one is. My favorite was when she had waist length hair that she braided for each flight in B school. They called her Rap, for Rapunzel
CanyonAg77
AG
My favorite nickname for someone other than my favorite pilot, was for a guy who, during UPT, was known for bringing home to his sparsely furnished apartment, plus-sized white women

He was called "Ahab"
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I can't quite read the name painted on that aircraft.
LT COL CHRIS "THUD" BEHRENS
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I can't quite read the name painted on that aircraft.
LT COL CHRIS "THUD" BEHRENS
wonder if he and Ahab were ever wingmen. Seems logical.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Call signs are more of a fighter thing.

I call a large majority of my squadron by their first name unless it's a serious conversation.
CanyonAg77
AG
One of the local plane spotter types got a video of the takeoff and climb out.

Too much fun to watch your kid do this.

Dumbdumb
CanyonAg77 what day did they come in? This last Sunday I was in the air in a Cessna 182 and asked to overfly midfield at KAMA to show my passengers. I was vectored to facilitate "COOL1, COOL2, and COOL3" to come in and make their breaks and land. I was then cleared at or above 6K to overfly and got to watch all three of them land underneath us as we overflew the airport. All 3 were F16's. My passengers were in awe being able to overfly that and see them come in and land while in the air above them.

edit to add I was post # 1K on this thread!!!
CanyonAg77
AG
This was Monday afternoon.

Are you sure you saw Vipers? This arrival got lots of attention, we even had the fire department drive down to TAC Air so they could watch.

Everyone was telling us that F-16s are rare in Amarillo.

F-18s are common, and of course, T-38s from Vance and Sheppard are near daily arrivals.

I'm also surprised that no one in the aviation spotters group caught the flight you saw. One did catch a flight of 3 T-38s on Sunday

bco2003
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

One of the local plane spotter types got a video of the takeoff and climb out.

Too much fun to watch your kid do this.

Very cool. What was she in town for, besides to see her family?
CanyonAg77
AG
As it turned out, a comedy of errors.

Flew commercial on Sunday to Utah from South Carolina to pick up a jet that had just been upgraded. Had to watch as TSA agents played with the CO2 cartridges on her life vest.

Delayed 2-3 hours at Hill AFB, as the avionics weren't working.

Finally arrived AMA for fuel stop and to say hello.

Too late to make it home to Shaw, so checked on bases at Columbus MS and Little Rock Arkansas for overnight stops. They don't like to stop where there is no USAF Security Force to guard the plane.

Both bases are redoing their runways, so neither was long enough for an F-16. Had to settle for Barksdale AFB, Shreveport.

Took off from AMA.

Got a text about an hour later that she was at Sheppard AFB, in Wichita Falls, about 200 miles away. Jet failed to pressurize.

On Tuesday, got a text that the canopy seal was busted, she turned the jet over to Sheppard AFB security, and Shaw AFB would be sending their own team to Sheppard to fix the jet.

Finally got home on Tuesday night (commercial) at 11:30 her time.
Dumbdumb
It is possible it could have been T38's. They were moving much faster than I was haha! I crossed over KAMA around 2:45 in the afternoon headed south.
CanyonAg77
AG
The guy posted his shot around 3:45, and a flight of 3 is unusual. Two or four is more common. Seems too big a coincidence that he didn't shoot any vipers, but did shoot a flight of 3 t-38s the same day
CharlieBrown17
AG
Cool is a T-38 call sign out of Del Rio (pretty sure on location).
Dumbdumb
That is actually pretty "cool" to know haha! Makes one wonder why they would be way up here passing thru.
CharlieBrown17
AG
If it was a Sunday they were probably coming back from the Colorado area.

Part of the pilot training syllabus is a cross country trip. Usually leave Friday, return Sunday.
Goose
AG
Somehow I'd never heard this crazy-ass story. Almost 65 days in a Cessna 172.

https://hackaday.com/2021/10/25/the-longest-ever-flight-was-over-64-days-in-a-cessna-172/?fbclid=IwAR1xGsVn2WfKjcSgItvSCH7I1XTn8z_N5Yyc63aTRHle1AaJAIOWX8AXx68
TxAg20
AG
Goose said:

Somehow I'd never heard this crazy-ass story. Almost 65 days in a Cessna 172.

https://hackaday.com/2021/10/25/the-longest-ever-flight-was-over-64-days-in-a-cessna-172/?fbclid=IwAR1xGsVn2WfKjcSgItvSCH7I1XTn8z_N5Yyc63aTRHle1AaJAIOWX8AXx68

I guess that's one way to get those 1,500 hours for ATP.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I seriously feel like Beavis and Butt-Head watching that video. "huh huh....vipers are cool. HAHA YEAH YEAH Vipers are bad ass!"
CharlieBrown17
AG
Shot a Cat II to mins today.

That was an interesting damn experience
CaptnCarl
AG
We're listening….

What were the mins? Do you have a HUD?
CharlieBrown17
AG
We have a HUD

350 meters RVR and 99 off the RA for the decision height.

We got the approach lights at 150 feet and the roll bar at 105 or so and decided to land then.

Quote that sums it to me is the guy sitting in the jump seat that said "****ing A guys I wouldn't drive in this and we just landed".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.