Outdoors
Sponsored by

Situation With Neighbor Behind Me

12,162 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by agwrestler
StockHorseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know the OB loves an interesting neighbor situation so here is mine.

We moved into our house back in the beginning of November and love everything about it. About two weeks after we move in my wife calls me over to the window in our daughter's room and points to the backyard of our neighbor behind us. Well there is this kid (about 12-15) out there walking along the fence throwing rocks/sticks over the fence into the side neighbor's yard. It's pretty clear that he has some sort of mental disability based on the way he was walking around and the type of sounds he was making. I didn't really care/think too much at the time because he wasn't throwing them into my yard an nor did it look like he has in the past.

Fast forward to last week. My wife was out pushing my 8 month old daughter in her swing in our backyard when all of a sudden sticks start coming over the back fence. My wife says something but they still keep getting lobbed over. My wife decides just to go on inside since she'd already tried to get him to stop and it's clear he has a mental disability.

Now I know I should go over there and talk to the neighbor since it is a safety issue but haven't yet since I've been busy after work lately. My plan is to go over there and tell them that their son is throwing sticks into our backyard and has come close to hitting my wife and daughter and that I would appreciate it if he would stop. I just figured I'd share this here since it does make me laugh a little bit because it's not something I would expect to have to deal with. We also have a neighborhood cat problem but I am dealing with that in a different way.

maroon barchetta
He can't throw stuff over the fence if there is no fence.
bam02
Sea Speed
AG
maroon barchetta said:

He can't throw stuff over the fence if there is no fence.

He cant throw things over the fence if there is no kid, either.
fullback44
AG
Cut a small hole in the fence .. set a foot trap on your side of the fence for sqirls or coons .. when he sticks his hand through the hole and the trap gets him.. he will start screaming

You now have a reason to confront his guardian about everything
JeremiahJohnson
AG
fullback44 said:

Cut a small hole in the fence .. set a foot trap on your side of the fence for sqirls or coons .. when he sticks his hand through the hole and the trap gets him.. he will start screaming

This is an amazing idea. Please do this.
ought1ag
AG
lol are we neighbors? Got a kid that does the same thing, except its typically brick chunks, foil balls and food scraps. I have yet to confront anyone b/c as soon as I walk outside they run inside. I just drop it all back over the fence and it never comes back. I assume he is just trying to hide evidence from his parents and when they find it back in the yard they have a talk then we are good for 3-4 months then repeat.

PS - I am not sure my neighbors speak English (another reason I have never tried to follow up)

let us know how it turns out

bam02
AG
You might need to drop a playboy and a vape pen over the fence and step up his sentence.
Watchful Ag
AG
I'd like to say that I'd view this situation similarly to how my boys leave their stuff all over our house ... It's a pain to constantly stay on top of them and to keep things clean, but one day it'll all be gone and I'll think back to the chaos and just smile.

That said, if yall are really in danger of getting hit by bricks and sticks, I would definitely have a neighborly chat
Ogre09
AG
SSS
87Flyfisher
AG
The standard OB remedies for resolving any conflict are:
1) Tear down the fence
2) Propane Cannon
3) Shoot'em in the nuts
Aggie1205
AG
In addition to speaking to the parents, maybe bring them some sort of toy or backyard activity for the boy to do instead? Doesn't have to be something you break the bank on. Maybe in addition to a disability he is just bored.
RO519
AG
You're on the right track with going over and knocking on the door. Getting to know your neighbors isn't a bad thing and can be the starting point of your conversation.

If that doesn't work, the foot trap idea above is solid advice
aggiedent
AG
I'm confused. Are we sss….ing the kid and having a word with the neighbor about the cat……or did I get it wrong.
JAW3336
AG
Aggie1205 said:

In addition to speaking to the parents, maybe bring them some sort of toy or backyard activity for the boy to do instead? Doesn't have to be something you break the bank on. Maybe in addition to a disability he is just bored.
Great suggestion, maybe some sidewalk chalk? Cheap and can be hours of entertainment.
Shoefly!
AG
JeremiahJohnson said:

fullback44 said:

What if he decides to stick something else through the hole?
StinkyPinky
AG
Go talk to parents. My guess is he's autistic by the description and doesn't really know better.
chickencoupe16
AG
Shoefly! said:

JeremiahJohnson said:

fullback44 said:

What if he decides to stick something else through the hole?

Then he'll really scream
Apache
AG
A hole with a foot trap on the other side is far too cruel & you should be embarrassed for even thinking of that.
Now, something like Chinese handcuffs.... that's just hilarious.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
A slightly larger finger trap at glory hole height even better.
JAW3336
AG
JeremiahJohnson said:

A slightly larger finger trap at glory hole height even better.
Or a smaller one. No need top brag.
ME92
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Talk to the parents but don't bring any toy.

The kid is his parents' responsibility. They need to provide appropriate supervision and entertainment.

If you give him anything, be prepared to be blamed when he hurts himself with it or pick it up out of your yard after he throws it at your wife and child.
Ag_07
AG
The only solution here is the time old tradition of SSS

Shoot
Shovel
Shh

I kid I kid
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Lawn Darts. We had two sets as kids and most of us survived.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
bowhuntr
In the time it took you to write that post…you could have talked to the parents and maybe gained some perspective on the situation.
StockHorseAg
AG
Thank you for your insightful post. You must not have read the last paragraph.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Why would you give his projectiles back? Next time turn the hose on him
trip98
AG
maybe ask some of the other neighbors that have been there longer than you about it first. See if they have some insight what is going on. At least it might give you some more perspective and info before you go talk to neighbors.

maybe they've already tried that and it doesn't change. Maybe they know what issues the kids have and there's not much parents can do.
fullback44
AG
Apache said:

A hole with a foot trap on the other side is far too cruel & you should be embarrassed for even thinking of that.
Now, something like Chinese handcuffs.... that's just hilarious.

you have to be careful what exactly you would catch with this tracp
fullback44
AG
i have a better idea, no foot traps, you may actually catch a coon, who wants a coon in the trap.

Take 2 sticks about 9 feet tall, just about 2 foot taller than the fence. Put the sticks about 10 feet from the fence. and put a string between the 2 sticks. When you get home in the evening, hang bubble gum and snickers bars on the string between the sticks...

sit on the back porch and wait..

when he crosses the fence to get the candy, you have him. Take him to his guardian and contact them about his recent actions
bowhuntr
StockHorseAg said:

Thank you for your insightful post. You must not have read the last paragraph.

I mean, you wrote this in the middle of the afternoon, but whatever.
Build It
AG
Life is hard enough for those folks. Leave them be. Your kid will be fine and only suffering some inconvenience. They are suffering a lot more.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
How do you know he's suffering? Kid could be having the time of his life. Just because he might be mentally challenged doesn't mean he's suffering.
maroon barchetta
The parents. He's talking about the parents.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
That doesn't change it. Why are the parents suffering? That's not always the case.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.