Outdoors
Sponsored by

Situation With Neighbor Behind Me

12,163 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by agwrestler
Mondemonium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The obvious answer is to talk to them. Hopefully they give you a cell phone and then you can just text them when there is an issue.

Also, you and your wife can meet the child and work with the parents so you can form a bond/trust so he will be more likely to listen to you. At least you can learn his name.
cupofjoe04
AG
I grew up with a disabled aunt who lived with us. She is physically and mentally disabled, so I've always had a soft spot for people in those situations.

I sincerely, with all of my heart, wish there was something I could do to ease the stress of people raising autistic children/adults. It is real, and seriously hurts many many good marriages. Last year, we moved from Colorado to Texas to work at another church here. Part of the reason I took the position was their strong support of and ministry to special needs families. We have dedicated an incredible amount of resources to supporting special needs individuals and families, and have quite a few scalable options. Even just giving the parents 90 minutes week to be normal people, knowing their kids are in a safe, understanding, and compassionate place is HUGE.

My area often sees young adults with special needs, in their 20's and 30's, who are trying to be as normal as they can, often on their own for the first time. That comes with quite the learning curve for us all, as everyone is unique. It is very difficult, as sometimes they are more like middle schoolers than 30 year olds, and can really change the dynamics of a room (especially when single girls are there). However, we have built a strong culture of patience, care, and understanding, and I'm so proud to see all of our young adults welcome anyone into the group. They help to hold the standards, and proceed with grace. It's amazing to see how it helps people to have a group of people that will treat them just like anyone else, and love them unconditionally.

OP- I hope you are able to have good conversations with the neighbor, and find a solution that protects you both. I feel for you. It's hard. But it really does take a village to support families of all kinds.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I grew up with a disabled aunt who lived with us. She is physically and mentally disabled, so I've always had a soft spot for people in those situations.

I sincerely, with all of my heart, wish there was something I could do to ease the stress of people raising autistic children/adults. It is real, and seriously hurts many many good marriages. Last year, we moved from Colorado to Texas to work at another church here. Part of the reason I took the position was their strong support of and ministry to special needs families. We have dedicated an incredible amount of resources to supporting special needs individuals and families, and have quite a few scalable haoptions. Even just giving the parents 90 minutes week to be normal people, knowing their kids are in a safe, understanding, and compassionate place is HUGE.

My area often sees young adults with special needs, in their 20's and 30's, who are trying to be as normal as they can, often on their own for the first time. That comes with quite the learning curve for us all, as everyone is unique. It is very difficult, as sometimes they are more like middle schoolers than 30 year olds, and can really change the dynamics of a room (especially when single girls are there). However, we have built a strong culture of patience, care, and understanding, and I'm so proud to see all of our young adults welcome anyone into the group. They help to hold the standards, and proceed with grace. It's amazing to see how it helps people to have a group of people that will treat them just like anyone else, and love them unconditionally.

OP- I hope you are able to have good conversations with the neighbor, and find a solution that protects you both. I feel for you. It's hard. But it really does take a village to support families of all kinds.

I'm very proud of your church's special needs outreach - not all churches are willing. Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church in Dallas has a wonderful outreach program for special needs folks. https://www.phpc.org/ministry/epiphany
StockHorseAg
AG
I figured I'd update this thread.

I went over to talk to them and it turns out that the house is a group home for young adults with developmental issues. The ladies who run it were nice and seemed happy that we introduced ourselves. I haven't seen them throw sticks over the fence for awhile now so hopefully they put a stop to it.
AJ02
AG
Glad to hear the good update.

I was going to say if it was a child throwing rocks, at a minimum maybe a conversation with the parents would have them pick up any large rocks from their yard. Sticks would be a different situation. But if there are no rocks available to throw, then that at least helps somewhat. But knowing that these are adults, probably no way to prevent them from finding rocks elsewhere while out and about to bring back and throw in your yard.

Were they just kinda tossing them up and over, so they land within a few feet of the fence? Or were they hurling them with some force that could fly further and cause some pretty significant injuries? If the former, wondering if there's some sort of netting you can install on your side of the fence to catch them somehow.
agwrestler
AG
JeremiahJohnson said:

fullback44 said:

Cut a small hole in the fence .. set a foot trap on your side of the fence for sqirls or coons .. when he sticks his hand through the hole and the trap gets him.. he will start screaming

You now have a reason to confront his guardian about everything
This is an amazing idea. Please do this.

With video game camera!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.