Outdoors
Sponsored by

High Tech Poachers

3,660 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by dudeabides
87Flyfisher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/VDwUyqJFcxbfoYsh/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Jefferson County is NE of Wichita Falls. l

On February 25, 2024, at approximately 01:30 hours, Jefferson County Game Warden Tucker Clem, witnessed a truck slow rolling a county road in Jefferson County with no headlights on. Warden Clem conducted a traffic stop on the vehicle. During his investigation, he discovered that the truck had a vehicle-mounted thermal on top of the roof that was being operated on the county road. On the truck's dash was an iPad displaying a live feed thermal video of the county road. There were 4 subjects in the vehicle and each one had in their possession an AR-15-style rifle with a suppressor and mounted thermal scopes. The subjects in the truck advised that they were hunting with an Outfitter out of Jefferson County.
Warden Clem issued citations for: Operating a motor vehicle without headlights, Spotlighting, and Hunting with the aid of a motor vehicle.
The 4 AR-15-style rifles, handheld thermal, truck-mountedthermal, and iPad were all seized as evidence.
Since this contact, there has been a guilty plea for spotlighting and hunting with the aid of a motor vehicle. Over $2000 in fines and costs.

#GameWarden
#ThermalWave
AgsMnn
AG
That's a new one.

Spotlighting while not using any lights.

chris1515
AG
Spotlighting without a spotlight. Hmm. I think I'd challenge that part in court. Kind of curious how that law is worded actually.
B-1 83
AG
Sounds like they're qualifying a thermal as a spotlight. Cool.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
CactusThomas
AG
I can't stand warden
BrazosDog02
AG
Never understood why hunting and spotlighting out of a truck was a law. We did that all the time. We still do it all the time from a deer blind, which is a box. But if I toss a motor and wheels on that, it's illegal?
txags92
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Never understood why hunting and spotlighting out of a truck was a law. We did that all the time. We still do it all the time from a deer blind, which is a box. But if I toss a motor and wheels on that, it's illegal?
If you are using it to shoot deer outside of legal shooting hours, then yes it is illegal, regardless of whether you are in a truck or a deer blind.
Smeghead4761
BrazosDog02 said:

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(...)
(7) discharges a firearm in a public place other than a public road or a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, Local Government Code;
(...)
(9) discharges a firearm on or across a public road;

Also, even if it's in season, wouldn't hours of darkness be outside of allowed shooting hours?
LukeDuke
AG
These guys were almost certainly hog hunting.

You can't see antlers with thermal unless they are in velvet.
BrazosDog02
AG
LukeDuke said:

These guys were almost certainly hog hunting.

You can't see antlers with thermal unless they are in velvet.

Bingo. Slow time of year, I'd rather not give a bored LEO a reason to hassle me, but to each their own I guess.
WaldoWings
CactusThomas said:

I can't stand warden

You serious, Clarke?
FIDO*98*
AG
Sounds like $2,000 in fines will be no problem for these guys
raidernarizona
Their rifles and gear are gone forever, correct?
FirefightAg
AG
^^^^

Not necessarily, seized as evidence. They can get it back through court case. It will be up to the judge for final fine totals and what if anything is confiscated. They'll just be without it until then.
txags92
AG
FirefightAg said:

^^^^

Not necessarily, seized as evidence. They can get it back through court case. It will be up to the judge for final fine totals and what if anything is confiscated. They'll just be without it until then.
If Oklahoma has laws like Texas, equipment or weapons used for illegal hunting or fishing can be confiscated as part of the criminal punishment.
MasonB
AG
We toured the Oklahoma Wildlife Department headquarters and they have a huge vault for confiscated weapons.
cheeky
AG
Should be encouraging more shooting of hogs outside city limits by any safe means.
txags92
AG
cheeky said:

Should be encouraging more shooting of hogs outside city limits by any safe means.
There in bold lies the rub. Driving down the road around properties you don't own and whose owners have not given you permission to hunt, you never know what may be behind the target you are shooting at in the dark. Is that a sounder of pigs in the background on your thermal or a bunch of kids having a campout?
Average Joe
AG
I've done the exact same thing they're doing numerous times. It's about the only way I go hog hunting.

The only difference is that I don't do it on a public road. I get with farmers and ranchers and kill them off their property.
AgsMnn
AG
What if they have permission to hunt the properties on that stretch of county road?

They use the thermal to scout and find the hogs, then get on the property before actually shooting the hogs.

txags92
AG
AgsMnn said:

What if they have permission to hunt the properties on that stretch of county road?

They use the thermal to scout and find the hogs, then get on the property before actually shooting the hogs.

If that were the case, I suspect it would have come up as part of the story.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgsMnn said:

Hunting does not begin only when you shoot. You can be actively hunting (as these guys were) without firing a shot. Just like you can be fishing without catching a fish.

You still can't hunt from the county road. Regardless of if you own or have permission to hunt the property lining the CR. Right?
cupofjoe04
AG
Double post. Sorey
CactusThomas
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

AgsMnn said:

Hunting does not begin only when you shoot. You can be actively hunting (as these guys were) without firing a shot. Just like you can be fishing without catching a fish.

You still can't hunt from the county road. Regardless of if you own or have permission to hunt the property lining the CR. Right?

Who told you that?
MouthBQ98
AG
"Act of". If you are attempting to take fish or game, you are doing the activity regardless of success or failure.

Yeah, the law is public roads/row. That means you have to be on private land or public land that can be legally hunted to be hunting. Just don't hunt from public roads, which is an extremely common tactic for poachers looking to cover ground and escape quickly.
agsalaska
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

AgsMnn said:

I'm not sure that first part is entirely correct.

When I take a left on to the co road with our property there is about a 300 yard stretch of road that borders our pasture. During deer season I take this stretch very slow because there is typically a herd of doe at the front of the pasture that inevitably attracts bucks. I usually use binoculars but have glasses them with my rifle. I have spotted bucks that I decided to hunt and eventually shoot later in the day or weekend.

You saying that's illegal

On a side note that's the most stay at home herd of deer I have ever seen. That pasture is 300 yards wide and 80 acres so it's very long with a few pasture oaks and one spot that might be considered woods. We run about 20 cows on it. Anyway there are old doe in that pasture that have never left. Lived their entire lives in that 80 acres.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
HarleySpoon
AG
87Flyfisher said:

On February 25, 2024, at approximately 01:30 hours, Jefferson County Game Warden Tucker Clem, witnessed a truck slow rolling a county road in Jefferson County with no headlights on. Warden Clem conducted a traffic stop on the

#GameWarden
#ThermalWave
I'm so confused. I thought Jefferson County was on the coastal plain and the county northeast of Wichita Falls was Montague County.
dudeabides
AG
HarleySpoon said:

87Flyfisher said:

On February 25, 2024, at approximately 01:30 hours, Jefferson County Game Warden Tucker Clem, witnessed a truck slow rolling a county road in Jefferson County with no headlights on. Warden Clem conducted a traffic stop on the

#GameWarden
#ThermalWave
I'm so confused. I thought Jefferson County was on the coastal plain and the county northeast of Wichita Falls was Montague County.
Jefferson County, Oklahoma

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.