Outdoors
Sponsored by

Scouting America

4,055 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by texasaggie2015
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's what my Scouts do to honor America.

Every meeting begins and ends with a flag ceremony. The parade the flags, do the pledge of allegiance, recite the Scout oath and law. They learn about the history and parts of the flag.

During our Pack campouts, we usually do a flag retirement ceremony. I usually have the older Cub Scouts lead it.

Every year for Memorial Day we go to a local cemetery and place flags on the graves of veterans. We join with hundreds of other Scouts in the area.

At Christmas, we all meet up and place wreaths on the graves of veterans as well.

This past year the Cub Scouts also made cards and we sent them to a ship deployed for Christmas.

My experience is what 99% of Scouts experience. Good on you for finding the one outlier to judge everyone by.
Ol Jock 99
Pro Sandy
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Indian princesses?
Is that still a thing? We did Indian Guides growing up. My grandma still has a picture of my brother and I in our head bands full of feathers wearing our beads. I was Spotted Dog. My kids will find it one day and have to cancel me!
mhnatt
OnlyForNow
AG
I was loud wind…
Apache
AG
Quote:

My experience is what 99% of Scouts experience. Good on you for finding the one outlier to judge everyone by.
Even here in uberliberal Austin, where I was a Pack Leader & am currently an Assistant Scout Master we have done nothing like that.
Our Troop leans towards slightly less athletic & a little more nerdy than the average group of Middle/High School boys. But we also have football players, wrestlers, & lacrosse players in the mix... it is a good blend.

What BSA/Scouts America does at a national level has very little impact on the direction our troop takes outside of a procedural level. That's up to our Troop leadership. We do high adventure camps every year, we camp 1x per month & do some pretty cool stuff in general.

Don't let outlier events shape your judgement on the entire organization. (Though this is the fault of sensationalist news media about EVERYTHING and everyone should know better by now)

busdriver88
AG
Troop committee chair. We brought the girls in three years ago, and it is fine. Same program, same expectations of all the kids. We are bringing this amazing program to everyone that wants it now. We work hard to teach these young folks about leadership, responsibility, etc. If you are worried about a name change, I guess I don't understand your thought process. But I would venture to guess that you are sitting on the sidelines judging without really knowing what is going on, or doing anything to help.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
Ol Jock 99
AG
100%

I do wish the AP had picked a different picture, but I'm not surprised either. As Apache noted...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pro Sandy said:

OnlyForNow said:

Indian princesses?
Is that still a thing? We did Indian Guides growing up. My grandma still has a picture of my brother and I in our head bands full of feathers wearing our beads. I was Spotted Dog. My kids will find it one day and have to cancel me!

They rebranded it "Y Princesses" and "Y Guides" many years ago. Did it with my daughters and it was great, but like most things, it boils down to the parents leading the group. I'm sure the same holds here.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

lol.

But point being go take a photo of a scout troop today and compare it to a picture from the 80s. Not a lot of kids today upholding the 'physically strong' part in the scout oath.

We were blessed at our kid's school by Scouts being a fairly diverse group. The "Cool Kids" in most cases were active Scouts who got their Eagle rank. These kids were captains of the football and basketball team and great college athletes in many cases. There were other artsy type kids who would wear black and DJ and play computer games but then prove very able and bought-in during Northern Tier, Philmont, and other more challenging environments. From what my sons' told me, they would not mix or mingle in school but worked well together in the Scouts environment.

We were lucky in that regard. The community north of Chicago where we lived was great for the Cub Scouts but the Boy Scouts level was considered pretty dorky. Definitely less physical fitness on display.

AgDad121619
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Serious question… I want to get my daughter more involved in the outdoors. What other realistic options are there other than scouts?
Take her yourself - include her in all of your activities but let her lead and decide how long to pursue it. Invite her friends along so she has a peer group to do it
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Serious question… I want to get my daughter more involved in the outdoors. What other realistic options are there other than scouts?
Texas Parks and Wildlife has lots of options.

Kids Stuff TPW
Apache
AG
Quote:

From what my sons' told me, they would not mix or mingle in school but worked well together in the Scouts environment.
Same with my son. He mixes with kids he otherwise wouldn't associate with.
I have to say it's the same thing with the parents in the troop... not all my cup of tea for sure.
That said, I have made some nice friendships & it has been beneficial on many levels.
I get help with my computer problems, I get to go kill a snake in their yard... that sort of thing.
Athanasius
AG
Better options, in my mind, now- Trail Life

Start a Troop | Trail Life USA - Adventure > Character > Leadership

... or Troops of Saint George

Troops of Saint George | Virtus. Honor. Fraternitas.

suburban cowboy
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I learned at a young age that if I have nothing nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all.

I'm going to follow that advice here.

This is the advice that got us where we are.

**** that. Call out woke culture and bull**** whenever possible, and be proud to be the loudest one in the room, no matter the cost.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to children.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Senator Blutarski said:

Scouts is a great educational program. But your experience will be determined by the quality of men involved in helping guide your troop and it's leaders.

Wasnt a scout, dont have a kid scouting so no opinions to share.

But this post? This rings true for every single aspect of our society. We all need to strive to be the quality men involved in ______ and not the click bait outrage consumers.

If everyone took this post to heart our world would be a better place.
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't think whining on this thread is going to make any difference other than start slap fights with other posters which is why I made that comment.

But maybe you're right and I wasn't raised right and I'm a part of the reason the world is screwed.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.