Outdoors
Sponsored by

Boat underwater in flood - where to take it for assessment ?

2,075 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Deerdude
halfastros81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My boat was trapped under the deck over my boat slip during last week's flooding event in Walker County . The entire boat was submerged for probably 6 hours. It's
An older Kenner hull(2001) with a 2011 150
merc. Pretty sure all electrical is toast and probably the outboard as well. Fully insured but perhaps a total loss. I really like the hull and layout tho and have no reason at this time to believe the hull was damaged.

Anyone have recommendations on where to take it for a repair estimate within say 75 miles of Huntsville .
Deerdude
I lost a 5 yo wake boat in 10/18 flood on lake LBJ. Dealer came out to adjust and quoted $40K damage on electronics alone. Ended up totaling boat.
It was trapped under deck for about same time but was full of water and silt. When water receded the weight snapped the lift cables and it sunk in my slip.
halfastros81
AG
I'm worried about cables snapping as well although the boat drained out. The winch motors and mechanism are toast as well. I may replace lift structure with slings before this is all over as well.
Deerdude
Yea I don't know which is better. Almost lost another boat on lake Marble Falls, when upstream flooding caused them to open floodgates at LBJ dam. Boat in slings had floated out of them from about 3-4' ride. Boat wedged sideways on jetski ramp and dock.

Slings a little harder to get onto but maybe better on hull once lifted.
Deerdude
Water level for reference
Kenneth_2003
AG
You say the wiring might be toast... How much in the way of electronics are on it? If it's just wires with blade connectors and not circuits/chips/boards clean and dry everything and you should be good to go. You could get Even boards can be salvaged if they weren't powered when they got wet causing shorting.

As you said you like the hull layout, so you could potentially jsut be looking at redoing carpeting and possibly motor work.
trip98
AG
is that pontoon boat literally sitting up there being held up by the railing on top of that dock?

hard to tell the depth perception from the picture but it looks like it's barely on the railing but perfectly balanced

crazy!!
Deerdude
Yea it is. I had waded to that house to help elderly owners get to high ground. So looked out and that pontoon floating by, I captured it and tied it off to rail. Too late I realized it was aground on rail.
Zero damage to pontoon or rail. Lifted off with excavator on barge.
Fenrir
I bet you're really good at Jenga.
Deerdude
LOL
halfastros81
AG
Primary electrical is as follows: outboard ignition, live well pumps, bilge pumps, nav lights , power for sonar/gps, power trim and tilt. Separate electrical charger and batteries for wireless controlled trolling motor.

The entire center console was squashed tho when it floated into the bottom of the overhead deck. It actually was squashed by the rotating winch pipe where the winch cable wraps up but I don't think it matters what squashed it.

No carpet here, self bailing bay boat …all fiberglass.

I think steering may all be good except will have to be remounted on a new console. 100% hydraulic steering.

MouthBQ98
AG
I'd say the hull will be fine. The electronics are ruined. The outboard might be salvageable with rapid recovery work to get it disassembled as much as is easily done, drained, oil filled and drained, all electrical components dried in in a low humidity environment with a blower. It might be fine, it might never be quite right again, but I have seen engines recovered from even days under salt water completely restored. The cost of doing so should be factored against replacement under insurance.
CorpsTerd04
AG
It is toast call your insurance company they will tell you where to take it.
halfastros81
AG
Nope. State Farm said take it where I want and get a repair estimate and let them know

I'd just like to take to a reputable outfit right off the bat. I know someone that does good fiberglass work in Montgomery but they don't do the outboard , trolling motor , electrical , center console type work. I know if I pick the wrong shop it could turn into a nightmare.
CorpsTerd04
AG
Oh state farm never mind
Deerdude
My Harley spent several hours underwater in same flood and they saved it. Completely replaced computer, harness, and seats, but it made it. I'd bet they can save that motor .
halfastros81
AG
Ya'll may be right about the motor. The cowling didn't come off and it was max 18" underwater .
SGrem
Fuel tank drain and clean or replace. Including fuel lines.
halfastros81
AG
Absolutely .
Whaler
AG
Deerdude said:

Slings a little harder to get onto but maybe better on hull once lifted.

I think most boat manufacturers recommend cradles instead of slings. Slings put pressure on the hull sides, sort of squeezing the boat, which the boat may not be stressed for. A lot of people use slings without issue, which is fine -- slings are certainly less expensive and don't require as much water depth. So, slings do have advantages. And, it may not damage your particular boat. But when I asked about my Boston Whaler and my MasterCraft, both recommended boat cradles over slings, citing side pressure on the boat as a bad thing for the boat. If it were me, I'd ask your boat manufacturer before using a sling. YMMV.
Deerdude
Yea I wondered about that, but figured that if the connect points of along to lift were wider than width of Gunwales that it would probably be fine.
I have a cradle under mine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.