Outdoors
Sponsored by

The shooting of

2,442 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by TarponChaser
BartInLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The female governor of South Dakota and rumored Trump VP, Noem, has bragged about shooting her family pet. it's just the internet but here are the first 3 different sources when I googled the temperament of GSPs.

German Shorthaired Pointers are social and playful dogs. German shorthaired pointers are a loyal and loving breed in the class of dogs known as the sporting group. They make a great addition to any family, even if you have kids and other pets. WebMD

The German breeders who developed GSPs wanted companionable family pets, as well as hunting dogsand they succeeded. The GSP is a very affectionate, loving companion that mostly likes children and other dogs

She will bark to announce visitors or strangers, and may show reserve around them, but is not an aggressive dog. She is the consummate people pleaser and will try especially hard to make you happy when you reward her with praise, play, or food.

I find it hard to believe the governor's 14 month old tried to bite her unless it was normal play. My guess is the dog was killed only for doing what comes naturally - eating chickens. I could have it wrong but this story seems fishy to me.
AgLA06
AG
What in the world are you talking about?

I'm assuming there's some context in your head you didn't lead with?
AJ02
AG
I'm guessing it's about Noem shooting a family dog.

Yeah, by and large certain breeds are known for being "great family dogs". But nature has ways of spitting out a turd every once in a while. Especially if the dogs are not well-bred.
MouthBQ98
AG
The more that it has been dug into, the more the biting/attacking remark is thought to be less than accurate as well, an after the fact justification.
TarponChaser
MouthBQ98 said:

The more that it has been dug into, the more the biting/attacking remark is thought to be less than accurate as well, an after the fact justification.
There have been a few GSP trainers who've commented saying the behavior was perfectly normal for a GSP of that age and that the pup had been poorly trained or trained not at all.
StockHorseAg
AG
If it was a Pitbull, everybody on here would be congratulating her for doing the right thing(me included). But, since it is a beloved hunting dog breed everybody is upset.

An old manager of mine once shot his own dog (Australian Shepard) for attacking a calf with a pack of wild dogs that came onto his place even though that dog was well trained. I think he did the right thing.
TarponChaser
StockHorseAg said:

If it was a Pitbull, everybody on here would be congratulating her for doing the right thing(me included). But, since it is a beloved hunting dog breed everybody is upset.

An old manager of mine once shot his own dog (Australian Shepard) for attacking a calf with a pack of wild dogs that came onto his place even though that dog was well trained. I think he did the right thing.

Based on all the information out there the two situations aren't remotely similar.

And comparing pit bulls to GSPs is an apples & oranges situation. I don't have a problem with shooting a dog if it's required but based on all the facts as stated this doesn't remotely rise to that level.
AG
I've found myself wondering lately if she made the whole story up thinking it would have the opposite effect that it has had.

Now she's looking for a way to make the story less harsh, which is probably easier than admitting you made it up.
CS78
Have a relative that just had to get rid of a GSP of the same age. It snapped and attacked the other family dog for no reason and wouldn't stop. Almost killed an Australian shepherd. Any large dog, regardless of breed, has the potential to be a danger.

All the drama coming out of this is nothing more than a sign of how nutless and out of touch the majority of the population is.
TarponChaser
CS78 said:

Have a relative that just had to get rid of a GSP of the same age. It snapped and attacked the other family dog for no reason and wouldn't stop. Almost killed an Australian shepherd. Any large dog, regardless of breed, has the potential to be a danger.

All the drama coming out of this is nothing more than a sign of how nutless and out of touch the majority of the population is.
A lot more nuanced than that.

There's a large percentage who would understand putting down an aggressive dog. A smaller subset of that which would understand doing it yourself via gunshot rather than taking it to a vet. And others who would probably refer to their dog as a "fur baby" who wouldn't get it at all.

Killing an aggressive dog sometimes has to be done. I'm just saying that given all the info Noem put out and the surrounding facts it doesn't sound at all like her actions were warranted and sounds like she was either incapable or unwilling to train the dog properly.

But nuance is lost and tribalism rules the day so a ton of folks reflexively reject any criticism regardless of whether or not it's warranted.
jrb2019
AG
Agreed. I too question how accurate this story is. Not to shift over to politics, but she also talks about a time that she met Kim Jong Ill (or Un…whatever). When questioned about it, she didn't come clean, but said that story was subsequently removed. Quite frankly, she looked like an idiot. Easier to continue to defend the dog story than to come out and say the book is a work of fiction.
Belton Ag
AG
I can't believe that story made it all the way through the publishing process without somebody saying "Guys, it would be dumb AF to put this story in the book."
SteveBott
AG
Per reports the dog killing did not make her first book and the normal folks axed it. She liked it so much she put it in her second book with new numnuts running her show.
AggieMPH2005
Putting an aggressive animal down is sometimes necessary, bragging about it to make yourself look tough isn't.
IMnAg79
AG
SSS
JSKolache
AG
IMnAg79 said:

SSS
She forgot 3rd S
TarponChaser
AggieMPH2005 said:

Putting an aggressive animal down is sometimes necessary, bragging about it to make yourself look tough isn't.

Agree 100%.

And the information she's put out on this don't make the dog sound aggressive but a poorly trained puppy. I have zero issue with putting down an aggressive animal or doing it yourself if necessary but from what I've seen here the punishment didn't match the "crime."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.