Outdoors
Sponsored by

Recommendations for best cellular game cam

1,540 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by unclefish
ag94whoop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go
CowtownJD
Last year I bought 2 of the Tactacam Reveal SK Cellular cams. Man they worked great. Solar panels kept them charged up.

I'd recommend em.
AgDad121619
AG
Tactacam reveal - very reliable and have worked wherever I have put them (you get a choice of att or Verizon with each camera so you can choose best coverage for your area)
TX_Hunter
AG
Another reveal fan here. Recently retired my coverts as they have fallen behind. Whatever you do, avoid spy point. Lots of quality issues.
tamc93
AG
Have 4 Tactacam Reveals - no issues and customer support has been good.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Moutltrie Edge works well for me.
Gig 'em! '90
Justified
Avoid MUDDY. the price point is appealing. But all four stopped working within 2 years
MrWonderful
AG
I have a bunch of tactacams, buy the external solar panel with the built in battery and you'll be set, assuming your cows / squirrels don't unplug your wire.

I will say the new stealth cam 360 has me intrigued. Could be really helpful in areas that are travel corridors or for feeder shy bucks just cruising by
confucius_ag
AG
From my experience stay far away from Spy Point
"Me not know, me not tell, me push button and run like hell."
Deerdude
I went with Reveal from recommendations here. Running 6 and really impressed with reception. Three are within a stones throw if Rio Grande and two run on stock antennas and one added an antenna extension on an 8' T Post. Down in Zapata county it's a long way to a US tower and about 200' elevation change from cameras up to Us 83.
SanAntonio
AG
Tactam Reveal Pro is the way to go
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think tactacam is the most reliable option out there. I run Cuddeback and the mesh system makes them a great option if you have camera locations in close proximity. I can run 2 feeders off of one cell cam + plan because each camera talks to another.

I've had to replace to home cameras over the last 4 years or so but all under warranty. Only issues I have had are due to poor service but I'm putting cameras in places where you have to stand on one foot to get 1 bar.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
I have 6 reveal tactacams for a reason
Aggie_2463
AG
Been running covert code blacks for a decade feels like
AgRyan04
What options do you have if there is no cell signal in the area?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Define area? I have cameras setup in locations with zero cell
signal but they talk to another camera that's in an area, probably 800 yards away, that has service. If you have that capability, the cuddeback would work.
LukeDuke
AG
I have 5 tactacam currently.

Used covert and spy-point before, but tactacam has been the best overall.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
My tactacams work where my phone doesn't. Now I'm not saying they will work where your phone has zero service, but if there's barely any signal and not enough to talk to text, my tactacams usually work
Deerdude
My setup is interesting and I can't explain. Where my cameras are on Rio Grande River, my cell phone gets picked up by Mexican phone tower, prompting a message that I'm in international roaming.
The cameras don't indicate that anything is out of the ordinary, or that I incur additional charges.
AgRyan04
ttha_aggie_09 said:

signal but they talk to another camera that's in an area, probably 800 yards away, that has service. If you have that capability, the cuddeback would work.

We just bought a small cabin in Colorado....we've been up there multiple times prior to buying and not been able to make any phone calls but it sounds like we need to walk the whole property and maybe down the road and see if there is a magic spot that might get one tiny bar. Definitely haven't explored an 800 yard radius

If that doesn't exist is there a booster we can utilize to assist?
Aggieterri
AG
Do the Tactacam Reveal SK Cellular cams alert you when it has seen something. Looking to set one up as a pig lookout and notify me when it sees movement.
Mr Aggieterri
Deerdude
Yea they pretty sensitive I guess. I have mine set up at about 5 sensitivity out of 10 and timer set at 3 minute delay. Was scrutinizing a picture it sent me last week and best I could tell a lizard set it off.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
All of mine are SK's. I got picture this within a minute of photo being captured - if that's what you're asking.

If you're asking if it can detect a pig versus a deer, I personally haven't seen any camera do that well but several cameras have claimed they can.
tamc93
AG
Yes fairly sensitive an instantaneous for me.

When it is windy, plenty of waving grass/trees unless i turn down the sensitivity and increase the delay timer.

Another benefit it is you can share the cameras with other in your family/group.
AgDad121619
AG
AgRyan04 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

We just bought a small cabin in Colorado....we've been up there multiple times prior to buying and not been able to make any phone calls but it sounds like we need to walk the whole property and maybe down the road and see if there is a magic spot that might get one tiny bar. Definitely haven't explored an 800 yard radius

No guarantees but I have typically got two bars on cameras in areas that my phone has none. Much better luck with the ATT card than Verizon but you have both available with purchase of camera
AgRyan04
Thanks!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Verizon can actually have better service in CO than ATT. Whatever carrier is more reliable is what kind of plan I would get.

Regarding booster/antenna, I know you can rig you own up but I have also seen kits that are plug n play.
Agape91
AG
Wish I had checked here before buying spy point. Previous property owner used them and did not mention problems so I thought if it ain't broke ...I like that I get 100 free pics per month so I could tinker with them but not happy with detection sensitivity, picture processing time or battery life. I have only had them a couple months but, so far, could not recommend.
Deerdude
I had old 3G cameras can't remember brand that were bulletproof and flawless but phone companies decided to drop 3G and left me high and dry.
Followed a few of these threads here, and feel like I made the right decision.
One thought I have to add here is that I bought two with the included solar panel on top. They are not worth the cost IMO. I've ended up having to add a panel to each to maintain.
ConfidentAg
AG
Tactacam + Solar panel.

My phone doesn't even have service here.
ConfidentAg
AG
AgRyan04 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

What part of CO?
ShinerDunk93
AG
confucius_ag said:

From my experience stay far away from Spy Point
Generally I approve this message.

I have some of the little SpyPoint cameras. I don't love them and they have issues, but I pick them up at Academy when they are a good deal. Like right now for 2 cameras plus SD cards for $99.

https://www.academy.com/p/spypoint-lm2-usa-cellular-trail-camera-w-micro-sd-cards-

They work for me since I really on use them to verify animals in the area. I don't really trust them and they have sensitivity and reliability problems.

TexAgs: as long as we have each other, we will never run out of problems.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community
AgRyan04
Just outside Estes Park between there and Lyons
AgEng06
AG
Another vote for Tactacam Reveal. I have 3 of the SK versions with the solar panel and they work great.
ConfidentAg
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Just outside Estes Park between there and Lyons

Nice! Just moved to the area and the thought has been in the back of my mind to sell my land in texas and buy a place up here to put a cabin at. Either around Estes park or the red feather area
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.