BCAD Notices Mailed

34,106 Views | 231 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by histag10
George Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Zero chance my house would sell for anything close to what they have now appraised it for. In fact, zero chance it would sell for what they appraised it for last year, and now it is 25% more! Oh, but wait -- we're all supposed to vote for the school bond …."

Your valuation is one part of determining your property taxes. The other is the tax rate set by the taxing entity. Have your taxes paid for schools increased proportionally?
davido
AG
highpriorityag said:

Because our appraisal district is out of touch with reality, the market has changed!!

Exactly this. They're still living in 3% moneyland.
FILO505
AG
Happy to run comps for you. I'm in the midst of doing it for mine, as my home went from $286k to $359k according to them.

I didn't realize that painting my living room and getting new cushions for my patio furniture could be so lucrative
13B
Does anyone know the tax rate in Brazos County?
techno-ag
AG
Too high.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
George Costanza
JURISDICTION M&O TOTAL RATE
G1 Brazos County $0.368986 $0.409700
woodiewood
histag10 said:

welp.....

only a 7% increase this year.

43% increase in 2 years, and 106% increase since 2019 when we purchased the property.

Our house is a modular home on a pier and beam foundation. for some reason, our tax docs now say its a mobile home on a mobile pad with mobile hookup, and yet they have increased its value by leaps and bounds....
If you ever plan on selling it, I would get the tax information changes as a buyer may have issues with getting certain mortgage terms if the lender sees the "mobile" or "manufactured home" stated on the property tax records. What does you home insurance state? That could also be an issue if you have a major claim.
histag10
AG
Home insurance lists as pier and beam foundation as permanent foundation. Does not classify it as manufactured. Deed does not classify it as manufactured. If you get under the house, it does not have a chassis. Builder also classifies it as modular. Had roof replaced last year with no issue. Our insurance has the builder and model of our home.
classicdoug
AG
Mine's still listed as N/A.... They're probably trying to figure out how much they can hit me for before they bankrupt me.
EBrazosAg
AG
Two houses. Built same year. Within 600 yd. Same style. Same builder. Same condition. One mine and one parents. One up 15%. Other down 2%.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
EBrazosAg said:

Two houses. Built same year. Within 600 yd. Same style. Same builder. Same condition. One mine and one parents. One up 15%. Other down 2%.

And next year the 15% house will go down 2% and the 2% house will get the 15% increase.

It's a shell game they play. Or maybe it's leapfrog.

And one year the dwelling goes up, and one year it's the land value.

Dumb.
TXCityGirl
Reload84
These values are crazy and the Appraisal District has truly become entrenched as a bureaucratic entity totally detached from reality. Citizens and businesses are clamoring for a way to fight back agains escalating tax bills, insurance hikes, etc. Small businesses are in the bulls eye. I will be shocked to see if they lower values when the economy goes into a defined downturn and real estate prices are depressed.
AgsMyDude
AG
Of course they won't
JP76
Prior to 2020 bcad values were consistently 10-20% lower than market for as far back as I can remember. I was told they paid an outside consultant to come in and they determined their numbers were undervalued. First they started with lot/land because those are very hard to get comps on in already built out neighborhoods so very hard to fight. I remember they were raising lots 10,20,30k and dropping the actual improvements. Then covid came and bcs existing housing went up 40-50% so they now had the comps to hammer on improvements.
jenjc
AG
Make sure to do your research on companies who say they'll protest and if they don't get a drop you don't pay. About 5 yrs ago we signed on with such a company. We didn't have to pay them, because they did nothing to protest. An increase of course. I don't remember their name and I think they're out of biz now. Go figure.
JR Ewing
AG
KatieR said:

I was on the ARB (appraisal review board) for Brazos County for 3 years... I had to step down because it was during the busiest time of year for me ( I am a REALTOR) but I am very passionate about property taxes and the fear of taxing homeowners out of homeownership. I can answer any questions you have.
Katie,

Where can consumers get comparable sales for our neighborhood? I have my exact house three streets over, which is 7 years newer, and it's been on the market for 4 months at $40K less than my appraised value. Brazos County Appraisal district is out of touch with reality and pricing people out of their homes via taxation.
FILO505
AG
I'm a realtor here in town. I'm happy to help. The more people that protest, the better. No catch. Just happy to run comps. One of the easiest things I can do for folks
techno-ag
AG
JR Ewing said:

KatieR said:

I was on the ARB (appraisal review board) for Brazos County for 3 years... I had to step down because it was during the busiest time of year for me ( I am a REALTOR) but I am very passionate about property taxes and the fear of taxing homeowners out of homeownership. I can answer any questions you have.
Katie,

Where can consumers get comparable sales for our neighborhood? I have my exact house three streets over, which is 7 years newer, and it's been on the market for 4 months at $40K less than my appraised value. Brazos County Appraisal district is out of touch with reality and pricing people out of their homes via taxation.

Newer homes in theory should be worth less because they've had less time to appreciate. This is why sometimes in big developments you see the new home going for less than the older ones that come up for sale. However inflation the last four years has kind of upended some things.
b0ridi
techno-ag said:

JR Ewing said:

KatieR said:

Katie,

Newer homes in theory should be worth less because they've had less time to appreciate. This is why sometimes in big developments you see the new home going for less than the older ones that come up for sale. However inflation the last four years has kind of upended some things.
I could see older homes being appraised for more because the county's appraisals dont always (dont ever?) make sense... but I've never heard someone say they want to pay more for a house just because it's older.
techno-ag
AG
b0ridi said:

techno-ag said:

JR Ewing said:

KatieR said:

Katie,

I could see older homes being appraised for more because the county's appraisals dont always (dont ever?) make sense... but I've never heard someone say they want to pay more for a house just because it's older.
Struck me as odd too when we were first home shopping and the one or two older homes in the development were for sale at a higher price than the brand new ones. But that's appreciation for you. I imagine it's easier to sell after all the homes are built so no one can make an easy comparison like that.
histag10
AG
I've never heard that chalked up to appreciation. It's always been explained to me that older homes generally have less issues than brand new homes (unknown issues), and the issues they have are known. You negotiate those issues into the sale. With a new home, you find out later and have to fight to builder over them.

There is value in convenience

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.