BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

236,050 Views | 1118 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TyHolden
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bennigan's opened in 1981 (closed 2008 with most of the rest of the chain) and Chili's opened in 1991.
AggiePhil
AG
We used to eat at Bennigan's on duty. Monte Cristo sandwich followed by Death By Chocolate dessert. No wonder most of us wound up with diabetes.
Hornbeck
Swensen's was here early 80s
Captn_Ag05
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/16/potential-designs-midtown-park-playground-revealed/

Quote:

The Travis Bryan Midtown Park Playground is moving closer towards construction.

The project is paid for in part by a donation from the Darwood Foundation. The group, associated with Doug and Kara French, and contributions from Stylecraft, gave $2,000,000 to be used for the playground.

"We wouldn't be here today -- certainly at this time -- working on a playground without that donation. So they've just expedited that process so much for us," said Walker.
The remaining $2,500,000 will be paid for by the city.

"We're really trying to focus as much energy and dollars towards the play elements," said Walker. "We want them to be quality, of course. We want this to be a playground for generations."

techno-ag
AG
So glad to see development of that area. City of Bryan did this one right.
BCStalk
techno-ag said:

So glad to see development of that area. City of Bryan did this one right.

Too far from the bypass won't survive.
Well, okay then
AG
BlueMiles said:

The "Trackside Kolache" on 29th Street is now a chicken and waffles place.

JLB Chicken and Waffles. Excellent fried chicken. They don't cook much if any in advance so give yourself 20 minutes or so just in case. Worth it.
KidDoc
AG
Tried Varsity tonight and we were not disappointed. Great service, stuffed redfish and CFS both great and solid cocktails. Price is on the higher side but not terrible for the quality.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
AG
KidDoc said:

Tried Varsity tonight and we were not disappointed. Great service, stuffed redfish and CFS both great and solid cocktails. Price is on the higher side but not terrible for the quality.
Great sports bar?
KidDoc
AG
TyHolden said:

KidDoc said:

Great sports bar?
not really, tiny maybe 12 seat bar with 3 TV's. More of an upscale restaurant with a sports theme.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
johnnyblaze36
AG
KidDoc said:

Had a company lunch yesterday there and all of our first time. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't know anything about it going in and was just expecting some kind of sports type bar or something.

Very nice inside and the food menu has a great variety and very reasonably priced imo. All the appetizers were good (maybe the best fried pickles I've ever had), and one co-worker that got the oreo cheesecake jar said it's the best dessert he's ever had in his life. Another buddy got the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes and said it was great.

I went with the ribeye steak street tacos. They were solid as was the Mexican style corn that came with it.

The bar area is small but nice as well. Lots of fairly high end scotch and whiskeys and also a great cocktail menu although I didn't try any of them so can't comment on how good they are or not.

Will definitely be going back soon.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Rusty reporting the Stampede at the mall may have closed.
The Anchor
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

That's disappointing but not surprising. My wife and I were excited to learn a new dance hall was opening up that seemed to cater towards people out of college.

We went twice. Once around 7 and they weren't even playing music. Another time we went with another couple. We were the only 4 people there and they closed early.
maroon barchetta
The Anchor said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

That's disappointing but not surprising. My wife and I were excited to learn a new dance hall was opening up that seemed to cater towards people out of college.

We went twice. Once around 7 and they weren't even playing music. Another time we went with another couple. We were the only 4 people there and they closed early.

It's at the mall.

Terrible location.
BCStalk
maroon barchetta said:

The Anchor said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

It's at the mall.

Terrible location.

I recall Rocky's doing well until they moved out of that location or at least was always pretty packed every weekend. I don't like the layout of Stampede and its atmosphere is weird.
phillytex24
maroon barchetta said:

The Anchor said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

It's at the mall.

Terrible location.

It's a fantastic location. Rocky's was packed for years. I used to go all the time. Sadly the economy is the worst in our generation. Lots of folks just don't have the money to go out anymore like we used to.
PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

The Anchor said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

It's at the mall.

Terrible location.

Functionally it's not. No interior access, exterior access. I mean, it WAS on the bypass.
maroon barchetta
But it requires actually going to the mall. Maybe it's just me but I don't go to the mall unless it's absolutely necessary. And I avoid most stuff on Harvey.
BiochemAg97
AG
maroon barchetta said:

But it requires actually going to the mall. Maybe it's just me but I don't go to the mall unless it's absolutely necessary. And I avoid most stuff on Harvey.

Does that include Chuy's and BJs too? Does you self limiting include only those attached location, places within the parking lot, or does it extend to the adjacent strip mall too?
trouble
AG
Just go out to the bypass instead
maroon barchetta
Everything over there.

I did go to Cavender's a year or two ago.

If I go to Guitar Center I usually end up coming the back way thru the neighborhood.

That's pretty much the only business on Harvey I'll visit with the exception of Sweet Eugene's.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Murdoch's at the mall is great. You don't even have to go into the mall, but not sure why that would such a deterrent.
PS3D
Personally, I'd like to see the space be revived as something with mall access and can actually share some consistent hours with the mall, like a full-service sit-down restaurant, maybe something the community actually wants to see.
MiMi
S
PS3D said:

Personally, I'd like to see the space be revived as something with mall access and can actually share some consistent hours with the mall, like a full-service sit-down restaurant, maybe something the community actually wants to see.
Agreed. Chelsea Street Pub lasted quite a while at the mall (where Chuck E Cheese is now).
Boat Shoes
AG
MiMi said:

PS3D said:

Agreed. Chelsea Street Pub lasted quite a while at the mall (where Chuck E Cheese is now).

Bring back Casa Ole!
MiMi
S
Quote:

Bring back Casa Ole!
I haven't eaten there in many, many years. And I try to avoid the mall. Did it recently close?
Boat Shoes
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

Bring back Casa Ole!
I haven't eaten there in many, many years. And I try to avoid the mall. Did it recently close?

Lol. Looks like it is still there. For some reason I thought it had closed a while back. My apologies.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I am sure you will go eat there now since you wanted it to come back!
TyHolden
AG
Once the university buys Macys and turns it into an esports center, that place will be rocking. Honestly, that would save the mall.
TyHolden
AG
Siap….Mini So opened in the mall. Probably do well with the college kids.

JMac03
AG
Boat Shoes said:

MiMi said:

PS3D said:

Bring back Casa Ole!

They have a decent happy hour now too.
johnnyblaze36
AG
MiMi said:

PS3D said:

Chelsea Street Pub karaoke was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life in 1997 as a sophomore in college.

My buddy and I tried to perform Method Man's "Bring the Pain" in front of a bunch of blue hairs after downing 4 of their big ass Long Island iced teas. Got booed off the stage (rightfully so), got home, and said welp we're never doing that again.
maroon barchetta
TyHolden
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Would Harry's do well here?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.