Brazos County Commisioner races [Staff Warning 5/25/2024]

54,411 Views | 335 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Hittag1492
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
woodometer said:

Old Army63 said:

Woodometer were you watching the same interview.

Nettles gives examples about working with staff and other commissioners to review the budget.

Then Aldrich gives the pinocchio answer about I'm not wanting to implement other taxes just "explore"
Why do we need more taxes if we have a surplus?

Wake up TXAGS!
Old Army, All working with staff and other commissioners does is continue the long history of tax and spend that our County Judge has been doing for too many years. The money coming in from appraisals keeps going up and they keep proposing tax rates that remain the same and then try to tell us that they didnt raise our taxes. Aldrich actually demonstrated that he will do what it takes to keep the tax raising under control. Your friend had an opportunity the other night to tell us what he would do and he said he would get along. We have had too much getting along with our money. Thats why I voted for Aldrich.
Thanks for the calm and reasoned commentary on here.
oldag76
AG
Well, I saw Nettles new TV commercial on KBTX this morning. Told me all I need to know about character and integrity.
Old Army63
Well if you support Aldrich are you supporting his "exploring" a new special road tax? How about his recommendation that the County Create a Drainage District? Google Drainage District, go ahead, you'll see for your self its an open checkbook to raise our property taxes. Don't be fooled by two times, its time for a change my friend, otherwise get ready to pay more if you keep Aldrich.
maroon barchetta
Old Army63
[Post your opinion again without being insulting and it will stay on the thread. -Staff]
maroon barchetta
[Post your opinion again without being insulting and it will stay on the thread. -Staff]
etj77845
To clarify and not derail:

According to the Texas Water Code Chapter 56 https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/WA/htm/WA.56.htm, the commissioner's court cannot unilaterally create a district. The 'resident freehold taxpayers' apparently are the ones to initiate the process. Not unlike the provisions for creating an Emergency Services District.

Reload84
Dots are Connected by The Eagle

Thanks to The Eagle for the story over the weekend about political contributions in the Brazos County Precinct 1 Runoff. Quite revealing.

Like the Deep State in DC the local political elite apparently does not want checks and balances in local government. (Steve Aldrich represents the resistance they don't like as an advocate for taxpayers.)

Notably, most of these contributors don't even live in Precinct 1! Many are from Bryan government and include the County Judge and other Commissioners, including the defeated Nancy Berry who ponied up some big bucks.

We now know who's pulling the strings trying to amass power in local politics and eliminate any resistance to the tax-and-spend power players. Big money at play here like we've never seen in a local race.

They're banking on voters not paying attention. My support goes to Steve Aldrich who has taken tangible and documented actions to ask questions to prevent tax hikes during his term. The other candidate only offers political promises about what he would do if elected. Don't know about you but I'm constantly disappointed by those who are elected who do not follow through and ultimately become part of the problem. The amount we pay in taxes hangs in the balance during this runoff election.

Our votes will be important in this race. Sadly, turnout is historically low in local elections and a few folks end up making the difference in which way things go. I remember a recent College Station City Council race that was decided by only 5 votes!

If you live in Precinct 1 make sure you take a few minutes to vote on Tuesday.

maroon barchetta
legalbird
I am lazy and confused.

Which one of these guys wants reserves and wants more tax dollars?

Which one will truly help reduce taxes?
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
There's never going to be a straight answer on this front. They're ultimately going to have someone in their ear/pocket that will dictate their behaviors. My opinion is the safer bet this time around is Aldrich but this needs to be his last round of "service". There are too many self-described "elites" backing Nettles which is nothing but multiple red flags in my opinion. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out after all of the discussions on this thread.
maroon barchetta
Yep
deh40
AG
legalbird said:

I am lazy and confused.

Which one of these guys wants reserves and wants more tax dollars?

Which one will truly help reduce taxes?
Nettles is backed by Court members Peters, Berry and Konderla. All voted for higher taxes resulting in hoarding more reserves.
deh40
AG
Kind of ironic that Nettles accuses Aldrich of being a career politician like it's a negative, but then you look at his endorsements and donors and it's a huge collection of career politicians.
George Costanza
Everyone hates "career politicians" … except their own. Everyone hates taxes, but don't want "government services" that benefit them reduced. Everyone hates "mudslinging"… unless it's their candidate doing it.

The hypocrisy and/or naivety in politics is sad, entertaining and frustrating all at the same time.
Old Army63
I agree with several comments here that no one here is likely to change their mind. But here are some things to ponder.

Aldrich voted for 5 of 7 budgets on Commissioners court with Peters & Nancy. Seems like he has more in common with them than Nettles taking some money to get his message out?

Aldrich while saying the County is hoarding cash is on record asking about authority to impose a Special Road Tax and aggressively pursue a drainage district. Both would generate more revenue. Why does the County need that?

Aldrich's voting history shows he voted again and again to cause us to pay more in property taxes, but you've somehow convinced yourself that Nettles is the one likely to raise taxes?

Look at Nettles Campaign Finance Report, his biggest donors weren't the commissioners. They were business owners and PCT 1 residents.

How much did Ford & Konderla spend in their race for Commissioner? Is Nettles expenditures in line after adjusting for inflation?

Career politicians on both sides have weighed in. Considerably more for Nettles, but what is the difference?

Do your own research, Nettles put documents and videos on his facebook site allowing voters to see for them self. Aldrich put up one graph, which also shows that he voted for some of the highest county taxes in the period of time. During Covid, when we could least afford it.

On one hand you have Aldrich who has stood up twice for the taxpayers but has a long history of voting against the taxpayers interest. On the other Nettles who has no voting history, but pretty impressive record of military service, Service to the State by turning around TABC and has documented his claims and said call me. He even responded to questions from this thread when people contacted him directly. Which I think is impressive, since I'm sure he is busy.

Just some things to consider.

Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Old Army63 said:

Aldrich voted for 5 of 7 budgets on Commissioners court with Peters & Nancy. Seems like he has more in common with them than Nettles taking some money to get his message out?

Aldrich's voting history shows he voted again and again to cause us to pay more in property taxes, but you've somehow convinced yourself that Nettles is the one likely to raise taxes?

If Aldrich had more recent votes in common with Peters and Berry, they would be supporting Aldrich.

It's very simple. Peters and Berry want Aldrich off the Court because he does not vote with them every time. They are supporting Nettles because he will.
turfman80
AG
As someone in Precinct 3 without a vote, I will now be subjected to this outcome.
ChampsAg
I would love to know how many of you would look the people in the eye and say what you have said on here. Calling out people's character and integrity like you are any better.

I know quite a few of these officials that you put down constantly. I have gone to church with them, had our kids on the same teams, done community service with them, etc... In the end, we are all human trying to make the best decisions we can. Whether it be for our families, our community, our state or our country.

None of us knew what the outcome of these elections would be, but judging by these posts, many of you had a really bad night.

But no matter what, my wife and kids still gave me a kiss before going to bed. We said our prayers for our community, state and nation. And we will wake up tomorrow and make the most of the day that God has blessed us with.

Thank you and good night.
CS78
It amazes me that everyone wants lower taxes. But they rarely vote for lower taxes.
Hittag1492
AG
ChampsAg said:

I would love to know how many of you would look the people in the eye and say what you have said on here. Calling out people's character and integrity like you are any better.

I know quite a few of these officials that you put down constantly. I have gone to church with them, had our kids on the same teams, done community service with them, etc... In the end, we are all human trying to make the best decisions we can. Whether it be for our families, our community, our state or our country.

None of us knew what the outcome of these elections would be, but judging by these posts, many of you had a really bad night.

But no matter what, my wife and kids still gave me a kiss before going to bed. We said our prayers for our community, state and nation. And we will wake up tomorrow and make the most of the day that God has blessed us with.

Thank you and good night.

The most likely outcome is that all of them will raise taxes- I hope we all know that. I don,t see any of them being able to be able to actually cut spending, which is the only real way to start to cut taxes. Some may raise them less maybe? Hard to say. Overall, we don't have any real good choices. No forward thinkers and nobody that really thinks with the people truly in mind. Is what it is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.