COCS Utilities- water bill?!

2,123 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by MiMi
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else get a huge water bill this month or just me? I have solar + batteries so I'm used to a very low COCS bill but my water is really high this month. Here is my usage graph for water usage:

I went from $90 in mostly various taxes & fees to over $200 this month. No busted sprinklers or anything and have a Rachio sprinkler system so it adjusts for weather and over-watering. It just seems like my water usage is WAY off for a cool April. Anyone else?

Due to solar/batteries my electric was a whole $33.44 this month but my total bill is $220?

I already submitted an online request to audit it but seems crazy.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
I assume you've checked to see if (a) there's a leak somewhere, or (b) it was a bad meter reading? I had both of these recently (in Bryan).
KidDoc
AG
FlyRod said:

I assume you've checked to see if (a) there's a leak somewhere, or (b) it was a bad meter reading? I had both of these recently (in Bryan).
I check for leaks monthly. I submitted their online form for a meter reading audit.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MsDoubleD81
AG
My sewer charge was more than my water bill. I have a Rachio too that I love!
MiMi
S
About a year and half ago, my water use and charges significantly increased. We checked everywhere and could not figure out why. Finally, we discovered our older children's bathroom toilet was constantly 'running.' They never thought it was significant enough to tell me and I avoided their bathroom as much as possible. As soon as we fixed the issue, the water use plummeted.
FlyRod
I had an old corroded steel water line in my front yard leaking for quite a while and my water bill actually decreased. Weird stuff.
aneisch
AG
I highly recommend the Flume2 water monitor!
trouble
AG
Were you watering less because of it?
waterchick
KidDoc, is the online form at CSU.cstx.gov, or is it the request for an energy audit? Or irrigation checkup? I recently had a toilet leak that showed up on my meter but didn't show when I dropped some food coloring in the tank. Dropped a dye tablet in and there it was.

MsDouble81: sewer charges are calculated based on water use, but they reflect the cost of treatment. Water costs are "drill a well, put it in a pipe, disinfect." Wastewater costs are "collect, pump uphill where needed, remove non-flushables, separate, aerate, clarify, disinfect with ultraviolet light…" wastewater treatment is more complex than drinking water (specifically for this area), thus $W < $WW.
waterchick
Also: nice to see the appreciation for the Rachio irrigation controller and shout out for the Flume. I have a Rachio controller also.
ratfacemcdougal
Check the trickle meter ?
woodiewood
With all the water turned off, check your water meter at the street to see if it is still turning. If so, you have a leak somewhere.
KidDoc
AG
woodiewood said:

With all the water turned off, check your water meter at the street to see if it is still turning. If so, you have a leak somewhere.
Thanks for this, but I watched it for an hour while doing yard work and it didn't budge so luckily not a chronic leak looks like.

I'm guessing either an error by COCS or an underground irrigation leak.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Water tower mural repainting fee?
KidDoc
AG
MoreCushing4thePushing said:

Water tower mural repainting fee?
No kidding.

Not sure I've noticed tiered water billing here but they increase the price depending on your use. Which is fine I get it but still annoying.
woodiewood
KidDoc said:

woodiewood said:

Thanks for this, but I watched it for an hour while doing yard work and it didn't budge so luckily not a chronic leak looks like.

Would not the irrigation system be running through your meter or is it metered separtely?
KidDoc
AG
woodiewood said:

KidDoc said:

woodiewood said:

Would not the irrigation system be running through your meter or is it metered separtely?
It is through the meter but I'm guessing it only leaks when running
waterchick
KidDoc, tiered water rates have been in place since 2008.
KidDoc
AG
waterchick said:

KidDoc, tiered water rates have been in place since 2008.

Thanks! I never noticed due to never having a huge bill! I think I found the leaky spot just have to hire someone to come fix it.
waterchick
Great! The tiered rates didn't show on the bill before but the new billing system shows that. Feel free to reach out if you need more assistance.
KidDoc
AG
Irrigation team came by and they couldn't find a leak. No broken heads, no pool auto fill. Anyone know the next step if the water usage remains very high?
MiMi
S
KidDoc said:

Irrigation team came by and they couldn't find a leak. No broken heads, no pool auto fill. Anyone know the next step if the water usage remains very high?

You can contact CSU. They can send someone out to make sure there isn't a leak on the city's side.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.