Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,552,412 Views | 13970 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by FTAC2011
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BoDog said:

AgLA06 said:

BoDog said:

Serotonin said:

One thing that FTAC has really opened my eyes to is resale value.

Microbrands have very little or no resale value, so you spend $1.1k (or whatever after tax) and should just consider that money gone for good.

Whereas if you buy a gently used Tudor or Omega then you can sell that in a year or two if you want to do something else and get a lot of your money back.
Your not getting your money back on a Tudor or Omega. Your not going to take a bath... but you are not breaking even.
That's a broad incorrect statement. 10 years ago, sure. Today, not necessarily

It depends on the line. Black Bays and GMTs tend to hold their value quite well. The new sub Rolex twin will most likely as well. Same applies to Omega and speedies. To be honest, Omega watches were starting to see some actual appreciation since Covid.

Do they appreciate like 5,6, or 7 figure watch brands that are often seen as investments that will gain value, not currently. But to say Tudor or Omega the brand doesn't hold it's value, that's not correct. Especially compared to microbrands as was the specific question.

I think the average person that doesn't know watches will look at an older model with an asking price half a new model and wrongly assume it didn't hold its value. When reality is it was originally sold much cheaper than the new inflated watch prices. And held its value quite well.
FTAC or not, it isnt happening. Just reached out to my brother who happens to trade often with FTAC (and has a watch collection worth north of $150k) and he says the same thing. I challenge any of you to buy a seamaster or black bay and sell it a month later then come talk to me.

Sounds like FTAC2011 needs to come in and set you straight.
Serviam
BoDog said:

AgLA06 said:

BoDog said:

Serotonin said:

Microbrands have very little or no resale value, so you spend $1.1k (or whatever after tax) and should just consider that money gone for good.

Whereas if you buy a gently used Tudor or Omega then you can sell that in a year or two if you want to do something else and get a lot of your money back.
Your not getting your money back on a Tudor or Omega. Your not going to take a bath... but you are not breaking even.

It depends on the line. Black Bays and GMTs tend to hold their value quite well. The new sub Rolex twin will most likely as well. Same applies to Omega and speedies. To be honest, Omega watches were starting to see some actual appreciation since Covid.

Do they appreciate like 5,6, or 7 figure watch brands that are often seen as investments that will gain value, not currently. But to say Tudor or Omega the brand doesn't hold it's value, that's not correct. Especially compared to microbrands as was the specific question.

I think the average person that doesn't know watches will look at an older model with an asking price half a new model and wrongly assume it didn't hold its value. When reality is it was originally sold much cheaper than the new inflated watch prices. And held its value quite well.
FTAC or not, it isnt happening. Just reached out to my brother who happens to trade often with FTAC (and has a watch collection worth north of $150k) and he says the same thing. I challenge any of you to buy a seamaster or black bay and sell it a month later then come talk to me.

You're talking about too short of a timeline, who buys a watch to sell it a month later? Go look up a 10 year old planet ocean, and see what it is selling for now and what it was selling for then. Yes, you've probably still lost purchasing power due to inflation, but not considering you've worn a watch for 10 years.!
BoDog
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

BoDog said:

AgLA06 said:

BoDog said:

Serotonin said:

Sounds like FTAC2011 needs to come in and set you straight.
Bro, he or any other reseller is in the biz to make money-not break even. Think about that.
BoDog
AG
If he or anyone else would guarantee to buy back at cost a sea master in 12 months, I will buy one on Monday.

You buy a Tudor and sell it in 10 years, I promise you will take a bath.
FTAC2011
AG
I guess I'll chime in here. There's a market price for everything. If I sell someone a watch, and they try to sell it back to me shortly after, they probably won't get their money back. Not because I'm ripping people off, but because I have a business and I have to be smart about my purchases and sales in order to keep running my business while also creating loyal customers.

I run my business off of pricing tiers:

1. Wholesale/Stock pricing - what I'm willing to pay for any watch at any time. I most likely can make some money when I'm offering stock pricing. It's the only way I can continue to build my business and the value I bring is I will 100% buy your watch, no headaches. I buy popular and unpopular watches. I buy from people trying to offload or get some money for other toys, etc.

2. Call pricing - this is the price I pay other dealers I have built relationships with on the watches they have stocked. I don't get the watches as cheap, but I can get them quick and I can sell them for extremely good prices. This is often the price I pay for the watches I source for my fellow ags here. I also sell my watches I stock for this price.

3. My Retail pricing - this is the price I charge for the watches I buy when I am sourcing them and don't have them in stock. It's always a fair price and better than you can find almost anywhere. If you find a better deal, my feelings don't get hurt, but hopefully I provide value beyond just getting people good deals (hand delivery most of the time, sizing the watch for you on the spot, helping with servicing in the future, helping with any polishing needs, helping with accessories, answering questions, and paying strong for your trade ins)

4. Store retail pricing - this is the price you pay from stores most of the time or watches you see online. They have many overhead costs and have to put that into their margin.

TLDR- if you buy a used watch from me, you may lose some on trade in, but will probably get most, if not all, of your money back out of it (depending on the model) if you sell to another end user.
FTAC2011
AG
Also, I forgot to add one of the most important factors which is market fluctuations. Many of you purchased watches from me which I paid MORE for when you sold them back to me

And in a market downturn you can lose your ass. I sold an ap royal oak for 80k which is now worth about 30k. But that's not my fault it's just market timing
First Page Refresh
Page 400 of 400

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.