Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone else getting screwed on car and home insurance?

74,848 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by K Bo
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTmLoKi said:

Had a similar experience. Casey was good and then went AWOL. I was finally able to get a call back, but it was Chris who said Casey had been moved into a new spot and would be happy to take care of me. I was on the phone with him for 45 minutes shopping rates that were more comparable and then after everything was confirmed and ready to go is when he told me there was a fee for him finding me the new policies. I'm telling everyone to stay away from Goosehead at this point.

That's truly outrageous.

They get a commission! That's what the commission is for - the gall.

TX04Aggie
AG
Had a good experience with goosehead down in pearland area. Yes I had to pay the fee, but they were able to find me a 2% deductible under $3k which was seemingly near impossible with all the 3% and 4% my old broker up in Dallas was offering. So I took the deal.
Ags-R-Better
It's renewal time for me. Been with Goosehead for a few years, anyone having luck with anyone else in Harris County? Adding a 2nd teen driver so…yea.

Thanks.
94chem
Ags-R-Better said:

It's renewal time for me. Been with Goosehead for a few years, anyone having luck with anyone else in Harris County? Adding a 2nd teen driver so…yea.

Thanks.
Just switched 5 cars and primary home to AllState. Saved around $6000/year.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Booma94
AG
I got a non-renewal notice from Farmer's last week because Fort Bend county is now deemed to be "high risk" so I began calling around to find new coverage. I called a number of companies, then referred back to this thread as a guideline and ended up calling Eric Jones at Goosehead.

Best decision i made. Eric was quick to respond and helped find a policy that fit my needs at the lowest price I could find anywhere. If you're looking for new homeowner's insurance for any reason, I cannot recommend Eric enough.
Alan Stanwyck
AG
Booma94 said:

I got a non-renewal notice from Farmer's last week because Fort Bend county is now deemed to be "high risk" so I began calling around to find new coverage. I called a number of companies, then referred back to this thread as a guideline and ended up calling Eric Jones at Goosehead.

Best decision i made. Eric was quick to respond and helped find a policy that fit my needs at the lowest price I could find anywhere. If you're looking for new homeowner's insurance for any reason, I cannot recommend Eric enough.
Ha! Must not have read the posts above. Good luck on your renewal something tells me you will be shopping again next year!!
Booma94
AG
Alan Stanwyck said:

Booma94 said:

Ha! Must not have read the posts above. Good luck on your renewal something tells me you will be shopping again next year!!
Well, considering the quote and service I got were both the best I got after several days of searching, I'll worry about next year, next year. For this year I was very pleased.
Alan Stanwyck
AG
That's their MO. They will buy your business the first year. It's not an uncommon tactic so long as you know but the service will be sub par and your renewal will not be shopped and handled like a high school graduate. I get you don't care now but be ready. Goosehead is a joke of an agency.
Ryan the Temp
AG
USAA raised my homeowners insurance rates by almost 33%. I can't imagine how bad it will be next year after I had to fail a storm claim last week.
AW96
AG
All this talk of higher rates made me curious as we have a renewal coming up at the end of June. Our homeowner's is increasing 65%!! We haven't had a claim the past two years, but did have about $20-25K total claim during the winter freeze of 2021. Our auto is increasing 40% and we've never had a claim with them in the 4 years we've been with them. This is Safeco and we switched to them in 2020 when Allstate kept increasing rates. The kicker is we have 2 teens who don't have their licenses yet, but the 17 year old is eager to get his. (Oldest needs to get license, but doesn't want to drive- high functioning autism.) We can't absorb these rate increases at the rate it's going for just us 2 on 2 cars. I shudder to think what it will cost to add 1 or both of them. They would have to help pay, but need a job. Nobody wants to give job to kid without license so it's a vicious cycle. I miss the old days when a teen could easily get a job if they wanted it at a grocery store, fast food, etc…
94chem
Alan Stanwyck said:

That's their MO. They will buy your business the first year. It's not an uncommon tactic so long as you know but the service will be sub par and your renewal will not be shopped and handled like a high school graduate. I get you don't care now but be ready. Goosehead is a joke of an agency.
Goosehead changed. They were personal available, affordable, and responsive.

About 2 -3 years ago, they began to show all the marks of being bought by a venture capital firm. Impossible to reach on the phone, agents unresponsive, no shopping of policies.

I know that I directed people on this board to use them. I don't regret that, because they were a different company.

I can no longer recommend their services. I am retaining several policies with them, but they are not the catch-all for all 8+ of my policies that they were several years ago.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
cajunaggie08
AG
94chem said:

Alan Stanwyck said:

Goosehead changed. They were personal available, affordable, and responsive.

About 2 -3 years ago, they began to show all the marks of being bought by a venture capital firm. Impossible to reach on the phone, agents unresponsive, no shopping of policies.

I know that I directed people on this board to use them. I don't regret that, because they were a different company.

I can no longer recommend their services. I am retaining several policies with them, but they are not the catch-all for all 8+ of my policies that they were several years ago.
I'm in the same boat. I still have policies with them, but they never once shopped my policies without me calling and telling them it was renewal time. Then last year they charged me for shopping and switching policies. I didnt bother to call this year as the renewal rate I got with my policies at Mercury that Goosehead signed me up for last year were within an acceptable amount of increase for me.
Serotonin
Serotonin
AG
Quote:

Had a friend who used them and had a disastrous interaction last year where they used extremely aggressive tactics with him and gave him a run around.

I've never used them but heard from him that they've gone rapidly downhill.
Bassmaster
AG
If you switch, don't forget to turn off autopay. I had to sign up for autopay with Travelers last year for a discount, but I had forgotten about it. I cancelled the renewal on Friday to go with another insurer and just logged into my bank account to find that Travelers withdrew 6k from my bank account yesterday anyway. They informed me that it will take a week for them to refund it. Such b/s, but my fault for not double checking. Won't make that mistake again.
Aggie71013
AG
Just a reminder that insurance is a pool of risk. Just because you haven't filed a claim doesn't mean the pool isn't more expensive than it used to be and your rates will rise.

Increased claims. Inflation increases building materials, labor, and car prices / collision repair raise everyone's rates.
94chem
Aggie71013 said:

Just a reminder that insurance is a pool of risk. Just because you haven't filed a claim doesn't mean the pool isn't more expensive than it used to be and your rates will rise.

Increased claims. Inflation increases building materials, labor, and car prices / collision repair raise everyone's rates.

Who knew...
94chem,
Aggie71013
AG
The number of replies in this thread saying I never had a claim so how could it possibly go up.
94chem
Aggie71013 said:

The number of replies in this thread saying I never had a claim so how could it possibly go up.

I had a neighbor once who was upset that his tax appraisal came in so low. He felt disrespected by Harris County.
94chem,
AW96
AG
Yes, I understand it's a shared risk pool. I often have to remind my extended family of that fact. It was more of a venting than anything else. It's been a rough year for us and then crazy inflation and these crazy cost increases are making it even harder to recover. Looks like I need to call Liere soon to shop rates.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I had been with Liere since 2012. This year, everyone of their carriers, but one, refused to cover me. And offered to do-so at an insane amount. I had to unfortunately look elsewhere.
jaggiemaggie
AG
71 jock said:

Good luck getting Eric or Goosehead to respond to you come renewal time. I would strongly advise anyone to NOT use them. Embarrassingly bad.

This 1000%. I got an automated email on May 14th saying the policy on mh rental was not being cancelled… my coverage ended May 13th.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Aggie71013 said:

The increase in claims & payouts is such bs. They would rather pay then actually fight a claim. our company insurance paid someone who caused the wreck, was completely in the wrong and still wrote them a $20k check. Then they cut a check to a guy who I sideswiped at 5mph for $60k for medical issues. I had pictures and video of the vehicles and guys walking around the cars laughing & joking abut how minor it was and them saying everything was ok.
atmtws
AG
Other half got t-boned a month ago in Clear Lake. Woman ran a stop sign and hit him behind the cab on the passengers side. It rolled the truck (Colorado) onto the drivers side, slid into the curb of the median, popped back up onto all 4 tires and spun him back around 180 facing oncoming traffic (luckily there was no traffic). EMS took him to hospital, got an MRI on head/neck. No injuries other than whiplash thank god. He made sure to get her insurance info right away.

Called State Farm to start the claim. Explained the series of events and damage. As soon as we told them the woman was ticketed for running a stop sign he almost immediately responded saying they were totaling the truck. We were shocked. They weren't even asking for pics, or even going to send out an agent to look at it. Truck was most likely totaled regardless, but it's just shocking they wouldn't even look at it or ask for pics, being it was the other drivers fault. They knew they weren't on the hook. Makes me wonder how often this scenario happens but with vehicles that aren't truly totaled, causing everyone's rates to increase.

However, they did wire the payoff within a few days and he had a new truck within a week. Thankfully I talked him into a half ton, feeling it's a safer option vs a smaller truck/SUV. Finally got the EMS and ER bill in this week. $13K combined ($2k for ambulance, rest is ER). Absolutely insane.
eric76
AG
DavidAg02 said:

Just got a "policy update" from my insurance company that says when my policy renews in March, my annual car premium is going up $500 and my annual house premium is going up $300! I have never made a single claim on either policy since I joined this company.

I called my agent and his response was that most of Houston, because of Harvey and the other flooding events, is now considered an area of increased risk, and that premiums are going up as a result. I will be searching around for a new insurance provider, but he told me that all insurance companies are going to be this way for the Houston area.

Anyone else seeing their premiums go up significantly?
My car insurance for the next six months was going to cost $792.50 and that's with a $1,000 deductible.

I switched to another company and got six months with $500 deductible and significantly higher than normal liability limits for about $435.

I was going to drop it to liability only. From the previous insurance company, liability only would have been nearly $300.
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
Sea Speed
AG
I seemed to sign up for auto draft for my auto insurance and never saw a renewal notice and safeco raised my rates by about 100% and I didn't catch it for 2 months. Glad I did because progressive cut that by about 50%. Woof.
K Bo
AG
Years ago was with Safeco and they went way up on renewal. I shopped around and ended up saving about 50% going to Prog as a new customer, but once that year was up they went way up, too. Shopped around again and ended up back at Safeco, at a higher rate than they previously quoted but less than Prog's renewal offer. All that to say, and I hope I'm wrong, but I'd expect Prog to try to give it to you on next renewal.

ETA: for my latest round of renewals Goosehead was still able to find me the lowest rates at the coverages I wanted, still up 60% yoy, though. I personally shopped, talked to Liere, and talked to Gallagher.
Sea Speed
AG
Yep I fully expect it to shoot up again but the savings is good for the time being.
K Bo
AG
of course, and enjoy it while you can!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.