Transporting a van from SLC to San Antonio

1,053 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Charismatic Megafauna
Josepi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy! Hoping someone can offer some advice here.

One of my best friends (Ag class of '98) passed away a few weeks ago unexpectedly. Before he died, he had ordered an Airstream Interstate (I didn't even know what that was...it's basically a fancy Mercedes Sprinter Van) out of a dealership in Salt Lake City. Why Salt Lake City? I don't know. The plan was to use it for a family trip to Canada this summer.

Anyways, the vehicle is ready, and his widow reached out to me to see if I knew a good way to get it to San Antonio. The dealership they bought it through recommended uship.com and shipley.com.

Any ideas or recommendations?
HouseDivided06
AG
OK so I have done this a couple times now. I have realized that when I was searching for my last 2 trucks that opening the search up nationwide increased my chances of finding exactly what I want with lower miles and then just pay to have it shipped. First time, the dealership arranged it for me, and it was $725 to ship it from Phoenix to Dallas. This last time, the dealership quoted me $1,500 to have it shipped from Coral Gables, FL to Dallas, so I said I would get quotes and do it myself.

So how it works is if you request some quotes online, your phone and email will BLOW UP with texts, calls, and emails. You will see quotes from $600-$1,900, but all of these brokers use the same carriers and those quotes are NOT actual quotes, but indications. What happens is once you choose a broker to work with, they take your information and post it on a dashboard for all the carriers and drivers to see. Depending on how quickly you want it or if price is more of an issue will dictate how much they post the job for. If they want it picked up immediately, they start high because someone will see it and snatch it up. If cost is more of an issue, they will start low and slowly start to increase the price until someone decides they will take it. I needed my truck relatively quickly, so I told my broker to get me a deal within a day. He started at $700 and eventually ended up at $1,100. Also, if you decide to engage with multiple brokers and have more than one post your information on the dashboard, it apparently isn't good because it scares away some of the carriers and drivers to see the same information with multiple brokers as they don't want to bid and then not get it.

So anyways, that's my experience. It is a beating and given the chance over again, I would likely just let the dealership handle it for the $1,500 because the phone calls and emails I STILL get are annoying as hell. Plus they may tell you it is expected to arrive on X date, but they can never guarantee it. Mine was supposed to be picked up from the dealership on a Saturday and be in Dallas about noon on Monday. Didn't get it until 11:00 PM on Tuesday because the driver had delays at previous stops and then blew a tire at one point. I ended up using Empire Auto Shipping but I didn't love the guy. Felt a little sleazy to me. Best of luck!
Snipes
AG
I had to ship my f-150 and camper from Colorado back to Texas a couple years ago. I ended up using Sam Koby at American Car Transporters and process was painless. I did talk to few other companies that were a bit sleezy but nothing like that from Sam. I'm sure he can arrange something for the sprinter van.

Sam Kooby
American Car Transporters, Inc.

Direct Phone: 561-771-6964
Email: sam.kooby@americancartransporters.com
a07nathanb
AG
Not sure widows situation or what her plans are for the van but if she's not planning on keeping she might just ask the dealership to sell it on consignment for her. Would save shipping cost if she ultimately plans on getting rid of it. Sorry to get off topic but just thought she might not have thought of that in the fog of war she's been in
erudite
Can that van tow a ~3000 lbs vehicle? I am headed to Idaho Falls end of month to drive a vehicle down to TX that was out of service for a bit, if you can trust a younger lad to drive that thing I'll drive it down to San-Antonio with a stop in DFW.

Edit: dfw stop not needed since I can just drive that truck home.
Rexter
Fly and drive?
CanyonAg77
AG
Rexter said:

Fly and drive?

That's always my first thought. Some old retired guy with nothing better to do, buy him a plane ticket
CuriousAg
I am about to be off for a week and a half in between jobs. Was thinking about fly fishing in Colorado. Would be happy to drive it back if they allow a couple stops on the way back. I am free 9th-15th.

Based in Dallas
f2foxes2001
AG
Just go drive it back yourself. Consider it a favor to your buddy's widow.
erudite
Let me know how it works out since I am planning to drive soon.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I've used uship a few times but didn't deal with the brokers, i waited for actual owner/operator hotshot drivers to reach out and both times ended up with guys coming my way (houston) empty and had great experiences. The last guy i believe was coming from slc to corpus and picked my truck up in albuquerque . I can look up his info and you can reach out directly to him if you'd like. But yeah the naggimg you get when you request a uship quote is annoying and I've heard lots of broker horror stories

Looks like my shipper was bookdeltatransportation and my driver's number was +19569290305 if you want to try reaching out directly
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.