How to clean small amount of flood water out of vehicle

949 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by dubi
DosTexAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My daughter's 2018 Nissan Rogue got a small amount of flood water in the carpet. The only pooling I can find is under the front seats at the lowest point in the vehicle. It's not visible but it's more than I can soak up with a towel given its location under the front seat on both sides.

How would you remedy? I thinking pull the front seats, pull up carpet and soak up what's left and get some fans on it. Any other ideas?
Texasclipper
AG
If there is pooling under the seats, you really need to pull the seats, carpeting, and padding and dry it out. The padding soaked up a bunch of water before it actually pooled. A big headache, but it likely won't dry otherwise. The dampness will just stay in there, stink, and cause corrosion issues.
dubi
AG
Texasclipper said:

If there is pooling under the seats, you really need to pull the seats, carpeting, and padding and dry it out. The padding soaked up a bunch of water before it actually pooled. A big headache, but it likely won't dry otherwise. The dampness will just stay in there, stink, and cause corrosion issues.
Correct answer and we have done this several times.

Mr Dubi disassembled the interior then put fans in the car to dry it out. He also set out the pad and carpet to dry with more fans.

We left the car open in the garage for a few days then he put it back together. Make sure to disconnect the battery before you remove seats that have embedded airbags.

Mr. Dubi
Remove as much of the interior you can. If you can pull the entire carpet out, then flip it over and let it dry in the sun, or blow fans on it until the padding is dry. If it has jute felt it really, really needs to dry. If jute doesn't dry fully, it will sour and you'll never get the smell out.

Spray with Lysol and sprinkle baking soda on the padding and the floor of the car. Also go ahead and vacuum, or even shampoo carpet while it's disassembled.

Once everything is dry and deodorized, reassemble.
Fannie Luddite
AG
What others have said but add a dehumidifier to the mix.
AggieDruggist89
AG
What everyone said.

But make your daughter do the heavy lifting and have her pay for the deodorizer.

If she's responsible for the water in the car. If not... carry on as others have said.
agnerd
AG
Shop vac and the sun are your best friends. Shop vac the carpet and seats to get them mostly dry, then try to get them out into direct sun to dry the rest of the way.

When you think it's all dry, put only the driver seat back in (no carpet), and go park it in direct sun for a day. If there's no condensation and no smell, it's dry and you can put everything back in. Had GF drive around like this for a week until it was completely dry since she didn't have other transportation.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
After all of the above, two giant tubs of DampRid and you'll be in good shape.

I sprayed a mixture of vinegar and peroxide on the carpet padding to neutralize odors when my mom's Genesis got a teensy bit of water in it from Harvey. Pulled seats and carpet and let it sit in the sun.

TSW2012
AG
shop vac, damp rid, Carmax

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TSW2012 said:

shop vac, damp rid, Carmax

GT_Aggie2015
AG
Parker says to burn it down!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

Parker says to burn it down!

Before you do that, try to

dubi
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.