Car getting totaled advice

924 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by jsc8116
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey y'all I have a car that might get totaled from hail damage. Who has advice on how to talk to the insurance

Can you negotiate price?
What's the process/ how much does it cost to buy the car back?
Any other advice? I've never had a car totaled
aggiecody06
You can negotiate price but must do your research and present a legit valid offers of same make and model vehicles that are for sale. Cant just say I want X amount more and hope to get it. You can retain vehicle and that price is not really negotiable the adjuster would be able to provide that $ amount to you. Pay attention to condition ratings of your vehicle and ensure they have rated the interior and exterior appropriately prior to its condition before accident
texsn95
AG
Depends on the vehicle, but in addition to the above advice, you can get an appraisal... I paid $300 for a professional appraisal for my 06 M5 that was hit in the side and totaled. Insurance offered a low-ball number of course, and the appraisal numbers were high of course, so we settled right in between the 2 and everyone was happy.
cityagboy
AG
texsn95 said:

Depends on the vehicle, but in addition to the above advice, you can get an appraisal... I paid $300 for a professional appraisal for my 06 M5 that was hit in the side and totaled. Insurance offered a low-ball number of course, and the appraisal numbers were high of course, so we settled right in between the 2 and everyone was happy.

Who did you use for that appraisal?

Thanks
texsn95
AG
Name was Jimmy Lyons. 832-326-5810. lcs-lyonsj@sbcglobal.net

Good dude. This was back in early 2020. Cypress area of Houston.
aggiecody06
If you feel the offer is too low and can't get company to budge you can utilize appraisal clause as above poster mentioned. You pay for yours, insurance highers one and they try to come to agreement. If appraisers can't reach agreement it'll go to umpire which is end all say all and that'll cost you money as well. Vast majority of time appraisers reach agreement though.
texsn95
AG
IIRC, initial offer was mid 11s, appraisal was about 17, and the agreed on number was mid 14s. Your results may vary.
ac04
the more examples you can find of same make/model/trim/year with similar miles the better. if its a fairly common car that is a really good thing.

i spent months haggling with insurance over a totaled c5z06 once, it was not fun at all.
jsc8116
AG
Former adjuster here, handled thousands, upon thousands of totals in my career...

1. Make sure to ask for the actual evaluation that the insurance company used to get the value.

2. Review the evaluation to verify the following are correct.
-mileage
-trim level
-options on vehicle
-and here is the big one...check the "condition ratings" the insurance company rated your vehicle , especially if they use the company CCC. Insurance companies love to rate the pre-loss condition of your vehicle as "average", where every comparable they have listed is rated as "dealer retail" condition, which adversely effects the value of your vehicle since they are saying every single comp listed is in better shape that your car, which is laughable, just another way for the Insurer to skim $$$ off the settlement amount. The evaluation report should be detailed to advise what condition category is warranted on the pre-loss condition of your car.

3. If you had any recent major repairs done to vehicle, send in receipts to adjuster so he can submit to evaluation service. It wont add dollar for dollar, but every bit helps.

If all else fails from above, you do have an appraisal clause in policy as others has mentioned.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.