Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BJJ

124,951 Views | 1169 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Sweep4-2
Sweep4-2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was a while back, probably late 2013 or so. Maybe early 2014….just can't remember. It was still a really new school at that point, but great training.

I checked out the Kama BJJ website, looks like a great place with tons of experience. How's the style of BJJ there? Always like to see how different schools focus on different aspects of BJJ.
LacyMilaniRealtor
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

It was a while back, probably late 2013 or so. Maybe early 2014….just can't remember. It was still a really new school at that point, but great training.

I checked out the Kama BJJ website, looks like a great place with tons of experience. How's the style of BJJ there? Always like to see how different schools focus on different aspects of BJJ.

Pressure, pressure, pressure. Dave and Ryan's Jiu Jitsu is straight from Rickson's invisible JJ. A lot of defensive JJ. Standing defense. Come in next time you are in town.
#1 team champions dfw commercial realty with over 30 years combined experience in the metroplex
https://www.Championsdfw.com
bigcat22
AG
LacyMilaniRealtor said:

When did you train there? I started there ( Southlake GB) in 2018 then left for Kama Jiu Jitsu in Flower Mound in 2019.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your thoughts on GB Southlake? I'm looking to resume training and that's the closest gym to me, and Professor Alejandro looks to be very accomplished, but there's several options around Keller/Southlake so any insight would be helpful.
LacyMilaniRealtor
AG
bigcat22 said:

LacyMilaniRealtor said:

When did you train there? I started there ( Southlake GB) in 2018 then left for Kama Jiu Jitsu in Flower Mound in 2019.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your thoughts on GB Southlake? I'm looking to resume training and that's the closest gym to me, and Professor Alejandro looks to be very accomplished, but there's several options around Keller/Southlake so any insight would be helpful.

Sure thing. Some things happened with Professor Alejandro that rubbed me the wrong way. Canceling class times, because there weren't a lot of folks training. I have/had no interest in competing and it was pushed on me a lot to compete. Different JJ. GB Southlake is very competition based. Hold this position for points, that kind of thing. Kama is just different. Folks compete at KJJ, but it isn't pushed on you at all. We look to end fights, going for subs. Putting pressure on our opponents at all times. Not worried about points. I couldn't be happier at KJJ. Best decision that I have made for my JJ. It is a drive from Southlake, but it is worth it. Drop in for a class. Message Professor Ryan Young, he would be happy to help you out. He's a good dude.
#1 team champions dfw commercial realty with over 30 years combined experience in the metroplex
Apache
AG
Quote:

We look to end fights, going for subs. Putting pressure on our opponents at all times. Not worried about points.
This is the way
bigcat22
AG
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!
Sweep4-2
I'm not sure about dropping by….that pressure, pressure, pressure part seems rough for an old guy like me!!

Kidding….always good to train with other styles of BJJ. I'm on the smaller side (5'11" 175) of the 'big' side of the mat (170+) for competition training and spend a lot of time avoiding getting smashed.

LacyMilaniRealtor
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

I'm not sure about dropping by….that pressure, pressure, pressure part seems rough for an old guy like me!!

Kidding….always good to train with other styles of BJJ. I'm on the smaller side (5'11" 175) of the 'big' side of the mat (170+) for competition training and spend a lot of time avoiding getting smashed.

I hear ya . We have some big guys that train with us. I am 6'3 185 myself, but one of my training partners is 6'5 285 and is starting to learn how to apply his pressure effectively. Cracking a rib in our gym is not a rare occurrence, I am afraid.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Cracking a rib in our gym is not a rare occurrence
WTF are y'all doing to crack ribs?
LacyMilaniRealtor
AG
Cross side pressure (side control)
O.G.
Apache said:

Quote:

Cracking a rib in our gym is not a rare occurrence
WTF are y'all doing to crack ribs?

Nubes landing on my ribs. Havent had a cracked one so far, but I can definitely see how it happens.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Dislocated a lower rib swinging/rotating my lower body while under north-south (guy was BIG). I tore the costal cartilage that connected it to my sternum. That rib still pokes out.
Apache
AG
I can see it, especially in take downs. I'm a big dude (235) and roll with people of all sizes. I bring the pressure but I'm not trying to bring THAT much in training! I dial it back significantly when rolling with lighter people & often play off my back so as not rely on size as a crutch.
Sweep4-2
Yeah, big guys present challenges. But the thing about size is that lots of big guys don't use their size as well as small guys do (because they rarely have to). There's often more space (thankfully) to exploit. Up to a certain level anyway.

One of my training partners and friends is 5'6" and weighs/fought at 145/125 and has some of the toughest side control there is. His being a black belt and former UFC fighter definitely help. But he grapples much heavier than he weighs.
O.G.
Apache said:

I can see it, especially in take downs. I'm a big dude (235) and roll with people of all sizes. I bring the pressure but I'm not trying to bring THAT much in training! I dial it back significantly when rolling with lighter people & often play off my back so as not rely on size as a crutch.
Most of the bigger guys in my class are aware of it. One is specific about not wanting to "muscle through" issues, but to learn the technique.

The dude that I've had the most issues with lately, MIGHT go 155lbs. He's very fast, but also new. Doesn't quite get the "slow down during practice" thing just yet.
Sweep4-2
I need to get back to training BJJ regularly, I've missed more than I've trained this year. Combo of a few little injuries, adding a new sport (running) and work/life stuff that needs time/attention - and just being a little burned out with BJJ at the moment.

My conditioning is still there, but rolling is up and down. Roll great one round. Roll garbage the next.

But that's the way it goes. Getting back to regular training will be good.
Texas A&M
I'm guessing it is somewhere in the previous pages, but is there an age that you would say is too old to start this?

My schedule has opened up lately, and I'm brainstorming some new physical activities to get involved in. I'm in the middle-age age bracket, and I probably have about the normal amount of middle aged nagging items (ex. bad foot that caused me to have to quit playing pick-up basketball games). I would say that I'm relatively active, but I'm getting a little bored in my routine.

And if I do decide to do this, any advice for picking a place that would be a good fit for an older beginner?

Thanks...
O.G.
Texas A&M said:

I'm guessing it is somewhere in the previous pages, but is there an age that you would say is too old to start this?

My schedule has opened up lately, and I'm brainstorming some new physical activities to get involved in. I'm in the middle-age age bracket, and I probably have about the normal amount of middle aged nagging items (ex. bad foot that caused me to have to quit playing pick-up basketball games). I would say that I'm relatively active, but I'm getting a little bored in my routine.

And if I do decide to do this, any advice for picking a place that would be a good fit for an older beginner?

Thanks...
Absolutely not.

I'll be 50 in a couple of weeks. Started BJJ almost a year and a half ago.

Started Muay Thai when I was 45.

While also currently training for a marathon and I lift 2-3 times a week.

All with a full time job and ....I'm a newly minted grandfather.

Hit it. Full Send

As far as picking a place goes, try several until you seem to vibe well there. I train at a Gracie Humaita (Royler Gracie's lineage) gym, but Gracie is a big name and there are many branches to that tree and its not the only option out there.

Find one you like and keep showing up.
Apache
AG
Quote:

is there an age that you would say is too old to start this?
Depends upon the individual. Maybe 65-70? Maybe not.
I started when I was 46, almost 3 years ago. Our gym regulars consist 2-3 guys in their 60's, a few in their 50's and a dozen or more in their 40's - the rest in their 30's & 40's.
We get a ton of middle age guys trying it out for a 4-6 week trial period, probably due to the podcast reach of guys like Rogan, Jocko, etc. A few have stuck.

I train 2-3 times per week & have met guys/gals from all walks of life I wouldn't have otherwise known. We do happy hours, get togethers for UFC events etc. The benefits are far more than just physical. It is like therapy when I have a bad day.

Highly recommend!!

BigLeftMiss08
AG
Been contemplating trying this as well and my one fear is my reconstructed elbow (think Tommy John surgery on steroids). I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a concern and ultimately a deterrent in the past so anyone that does BJJ and has advice, experience and/or an opinion on my concern please feel free to speak up. Appreciate it!
O.G.
BigLeftMiss08 said:

Been contemplating trying this as well and my one fear is my reconstructed elbow (think Tommy John surgery on steroids). I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a concern and ultimately a deterrent in the past so anyone that does BJJ and has advice, experience and/or an opinion on my concern please feel free to speak up. Appreciate it!
Tell the dude that you are rolling with to take it easy on your elbow, put it in a compression sleeve and make SURE that your partner understands. After a few weeks, pretty much everyone will know.

Been rolling with a broken finger for the past 6 or so weeks, everyone respects each others injuries. At least at my gym.
The Dirty Sock
Yeah, just let the partner know. 99.9% won't be diqs and avoid even trying an arm bar on a broken wing.
63Left
Agree 100% with OG and Apache. I started at 49 and will hit 55 in December and I never see myself quitting. As to physical issues, you make your game fit your abilities. If it helps select a gym, I went into this making sure the gym wasn't a gladiator academy of all 20 year old MMA wannabes who would break me in half, so you'll figure that vibe out by visiting. At the end, you'll wind up like everyone on this thread who's been training - wishing you started sooner.
Sweep4-2
Never too old to start BJJ. Highly recommend giving it a try! It's a great sport with great people.

Started my BJJ training at 36 and have been training regularly for 15 years now (51 now), I'm one of the older guys on the mats at my school. With middle age, you have to train differently than if you were 21....but it's still a fun sport and great physical activity. Heck, I know a couple 60+ year old black belts who compete regularly and still thrash almost anyone at purple belt and below.

Lots of good advice already from folks on the thread re choosing a school, staying healthy, etc. so not really anything specific to add. But keep us posted on how your search for a school goes and if you have any questions we can help with. Lots of variety of experience, location, schools, etc. and always happy to share.
Texas A&M
Thanks for all the good feedback. There seem to be quite a few choices for places within 20-25 minutes from our house, but there are two that I'll probably check out. Some really basic questions.....

- When deciding between places, do just visit with them and watch a class.. or do some places let you try out a beginner's class?
- One of them has both BJJ and NoGi JJ (not sure the proper way to call it out) for all levels, but the other other one only has NoGi for advanced levels. The ability to do a variety is appealing. From what I've seen, beginners can do both versions, but any thoughts on this?

Thanks again....
The Dirty Sock
BJJ is slower pace than NoGi. You learn pace control in BJJ which is essential in NoGi. Also given the speed in nogi it helps to know a little control so you're not accidentally kneeing or giving an elbow to someone in the face.
Sweep4-2
Trial classes differ widely between schools. But I would encourage participating versus just watching (if that's an option anyway).

Also, most schools will try and get you to sign up right after the trial class. I'd resist the urge to immediately sign up (so you can visit multiple schools before deciding).

Gi and nogi are both fun in their own way. But a nogi class full of beginners will be much harder on the body. Tends to be a younger crowd and a more physical style. I'd probably roll in a gi when starting and then start cross training nogi after you get comfortable with things and your body is more used to BJJ.
O.G.
I would also add, roll with the upper belts as much as you can. At least in my gym they are extremely helpful in answering questions. Attend open mats if you can and work on stuff that you are struggling with.
Go slowly and work on the technique.

I am approaching 1.5years of this now and we have a brand new white belt that has started showing up. He's young and you can not convince him (yet) that he needs to slow down and work on the form/technique more than he needs to look cool. 30-45 seconds in and he panting hard......I'm sitting there like, Jesus, I hope I didn't act like this guy when I first came in. (new guy will get himself hurt or one of purple or brown belts will set him straight eventually)

As much as I love to spar, and I do, getting the form down is more important.
bigcat22
AG
Anyone else following ADCC? What Gordon Ryan is doing is just amazing. Shame this isn't being carried on a real sports network.
Sweep4-2
People can debate his personality, marketing, etc but there is no debating his place in history and his competition record. He's amazing.
Scotty Appleton
Gordon just destroyed Andre.

There are levels and if Gordon is 10. The next level starts at 7-8 right now. He is that dominant.

Great ADCC. Fun watching Kade win. Tye should have been in the absolute final. I have been watching them since they were 7-8 years old and rolling with them since they were 14. They are great.

Oh shat. Now Gordon just offered Pena money to go right now.

Pena was a poon for not doing the 3rd place match and then Tye beat him. Poetry.

AggieChemE09
AG
Scotty Appleton said:

Gordon just destroyed Andre.

There are levels and if Gordon is 10. The next level starts at 7-8 right now. He is that dominant.

Great ADCC. Fun watching Kade win. Tye should have been in the absolute final. I have been watching them since they were 7-8 years old and rolling with them since they were 14. They are great.

Oh shat. Now Gordon just offered Pena money to go right now.

Pena was a poon for not doing the 3rd place match and then Tye beat him. Poetry.

couldn't agree more
Apache
AG
Quote:

He was on Rogan recently & explained why he was so ahead of everyone else:

1. Danaher: his coach is there 365/24/7 & is obsessed with martial arts. No other coach has that level of fanaticism. You could call it OCD... apparently Danaher doesn't have a life. Dude wears rashguards every day.

2. Gordon trains every day.... no rest days. Simply put he works harder & puts in more time than anyone else.

3. His videos/instructionals have enabled him to make enough income so he doesn't have to waste time teaching or traveling & doing seminars. Other top-level guys spend weeks of the year on the road teaching so they can make a decent living & that takes time away from training.

He's won 60+ straight matches, maybe 70 after ADCC. Even Roger Gracie lost every once in a while.
I used to think Gordon & Roger were 1A & 1B. No way.... Gordon is light years above everyone all-time.
O.G.
Apache said:

Quote:

He was on Rogan recently & explained why he was so ahead of everyone else:

1. Danaher: his coach is there 365/24/7 & is obsessed with martial arts. No other coach has that level of fanaticism. You could call it OCD... apparently Danaher doesn't have a life. Dude wears rashguards every day.

2. Gordon trains every day.... no rest days. Simply put he works harder & puts in more time than anyone else.

3. His videos/instructionals have enabled him to make enough income so he doesn't have to waste time teaching or traveling & doing seminars. Other top-level guys spend weeks of the year on the road teaching so they can make a decent living & that takes time away from training.

He's won 60+ straight matches, maybe 70 after ADCC. Even Roger Gracie lost every once in a while.
I used to think Gordon & Roger were 1A & 1B. No way.... Gordon is light years above everyone all-time.

Yep. Been sitting here listening to it while working. Rogan called him an Outlier with reference to the Gladwell book.
Sweep4-2
Time is undefeated, so Ryan will either retire on top, or will lose to some young gun eventually.....but neither seems likely anytime soon.

Anyway...Several weeks ago I was burned out, rolling poorly, training infrequently, etc. and just not feeling 'it'. So have been putting BJJ on the back burner and running a ton and doing more family stuff.

Went in tonight tired, dehydrated and out of practice. We did four 7-minute rounds, and my 'group/rotation' included me and four other guys my size (two brown belts, two black belts). I expected a rough time.

But the opposite happened...I rolled great, felt comfortable and could have gone 30 more minutes with no problems. Sometimes a little break is helpful, just to reset the brain.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.