Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Carnivore Diet Tips, Experiences, Etc.

1,914 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Todd 02
nickstro66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am considering trying out the carnivore diet and was looking for advice from those who have done it. I am currently recovering from my second microdiscectomy surgery, so I'm not allowed to workout besides PT just yet.

What has been y'alls experiences with it?
Jbob04
AG
I've done it and it works great. Easy to do and you stay full all day. I've modified my diet a bit after strict carnivore. I'm still primarily carnivore but I have fruit (berries) and raw dairy with some whey protein and of course plenty of eggs in my diet.
Bigfootisreal
First week is the worst- haziness, tired, constant bathroom fun. Also, be ready to supplement with some electrolytes. LMNT are very good and will help with the fog and tiredness. Once past the 5-7 days it is a breeze- makes shopping, cooking etc. very simple and you feel much better.

I do modified only because I like alcohol, but mainly stick to meat, cheese, butter, and eggs. Add in some onions and pickles.
Todd 02
AG
I've done it several times. Here are my thoughts.

Pros:
  • Weight Loss - You're gonna lose bodyfat once you get into ketosis.
  • Satiation - As others have said, you'll feel full and satisfied.
  • Less Inflammation - Over time your body is going to just start to feel better. There's a lot of junk in processed foods that isn't nutritious (i.e. it doesn't do your body much good).
  • Less Toilet Paper - Not exactly socially acceptable to talk about, but I was really blown away at how little waste is generated when eating carnivore diet. It's like our bodies were meant to run on animal products.
  • Liberation - I have never felt more free from cravings and in control of when I eat than on carnivore. Feasting and fasting will allow you to go for long periods of time without eating. At least until your body fat percentage drops.
  • Discipline - I find that when I'm disciplined about my diet, it translates to other areas of my life.
  • Energy - I sleep better and feel more rested when on carnivore. I don't feel lethargic at the end of the day like I do on Standard American Diet (SAD).
  • Euphoria - Some carnivores claim to have a sense of euphoria or lack of brain cloudiness. I don't necessarily experience this regularly, but there is a bit of a sense of euphoria and mind clarity when I'm on an extended fast.
  • Muscle Mass - All the extra protein will help you build muscle in conjunction with some resistance training.
  • ETA: Bloat Free - Say all but goodbye to gut fermentation. I'm rarely, if ever, bloated when I'm on strict carnivore.

Cons:
  • Keto Flu - Remember what I said about less toilet paper? Forget about it for the first couple of weeks. As your gut microbiome changes, the bugs you no longer need for digestion are gonna die off and you're gonna have to get rid of them. There is but one way to do this. (BTW...most of your excrement isn't all just wasted food that your body doesn't use. It's your dead gut microbes.).
  • Social Difficulty - There's a bit of a stigma with carnivore diet, particularly if you find yourself eating out a lot. Restaurants are set up for meals with sides. If you just want a steak, people look at you funny. Plus you still pay full price for the meal even if you don't want the sides.
  • Cost - It can be expensive if you're trying to eat steak all the time. Shop the sales. We rely a lot on ground beef. Stay away from a bunch of processed lunch meats.
  • Strength - I lost a little bit of muscle strength at first. There's a reason why bodybuilders carb load. Don't worry...it eventually comes back.
  • Collaboration - I would do carnivore 100% of the time if I were single. As a husband and father of three, it's difficult to make it work with a family if your wife and kids aren't totally on board with it. Not impossible, but you've got to have a good plan. We have such busy schedules that it's often difficult to pass up the quick fast food or freezer meal.
  • SAD Addiction - It's tough to quit the Standard American Diet. Most of the processed foods we eat are scientifically designed to be addicting. The taste. The crunch. The fact that they're non-filling. It's really tough to kick the habit. And it's really easy to binge again.

All in all, I'd recommend it. I do it about 75% of the time and am able to maintain metabolic flexibility pretty well. I can binge eat crap on the weekend and then do OMADs on carnivore the rest of the week. I can even occasionally throw in a 36- or 48-hour fast.

ETA: Sorry. That got a little longer than I thought it would. I'm just a dumb engineer and not a doctor, so do the smart thing and make sure you're using caution as you change your diet. You're literally made of what you eat. Fuel your body, don't just feed it. I'm happy to answer any questions.
nickstro66
AG
Do any of y'all take vitamins to help get what you are losing by just eating meat?
jagvocate
AG
I found much better success sticking with beef than flying around from chicken to fish to beef etc. And watch dairy …
You can sneak in a ton of cheese and milk calories if not watchful.

I only stopped because of an extended vacation … thinking back on it and the weight I lost I think I'll go back to this WOE again

Jbob04
AG
Great post!
Jbob04
AG
nickstro66 said:

Do any of y'all take vitamins to help get what you are losing by just eating meat?

Red meat has everything you need vitamin and mineral wise. We also buy ground meat with heart and liver mixed in to increase our nutrients.
Todd 02
AG
nickstro66 said:

You don't really need extra vitamins on carnivore. Red meat has most of what your body needs and at a helluva lot more bioavailable concentration than the same nutrients in plants. Makes sense if you think about it. Ruminants eat lots of plants, digest them using fermentation in their very specialized four-compartment stomachs, and store/use the nutrients from plants in their muscle. We in turn eat the already processed nutrients when consuming meat and it's ready for action the moment we consume it.

As someone said above though, you will need salt. There is a ton of salt in processed foods. When you stop eating that crap, your salt consumption will plummet. Don't buy iodized salt. Just find good natural salt. And don't believe the hype about salt and hypertension. Salt your meat and drink lots of water. You'll be fine. Or drink LMNT. It's delicious.
harge57
AG
Start your day with some salt in your water. It will help a ton with the transition and the keto flu.

Get a smoker and a sous vide. Stick with fattier meats. My go tos are:

Ribeyes
Pork butts
Skin on Chicken thighs
OasisMan
AG
i did zero carb for ~45 days a yr or so ago
i liked eating all the meat, however, i did actually find myself craving some greens (which otherwise i never do)

my fluid intake was just water or coffee

i feel like was i became deficient in salts/minerals -- i did develop some palpitations (which i had never had before or since)

i would be interested in doing it again but i would supplement w/ powders like LMNT +/- Mag, etc
i would also consider adding in a few carbs -- maybe goal <30/day, dunno

anaggieshusband
Proper Human Diet
STL_aTm
AG
I'm down ~150lbs in 10 months on carnivore. Its been nothing short of a miracle for me and my family. As much benefit as I've gotten from the weight loss, I've had equal benefit in my mental state. Within 2 weeks of starting i cleared the head fog (which i didn't even know I had) and since then my focus and energy has skyrocketed. The best way I've been able to describe it to people when they ask is that I feel like I'm running on jet fuel. Its an incredible feeling. Im stronger now than I was in college and that is something I never dreamed I could get back to

For the first time in my life I feel like I have hit the light switch off of food cravings. Do I want certain foods when Im around them? sure but its not "must have" and not even something I think about throughout the day.

My 2 big pointers:
-The more strict you are, the easier it is. When I don't have carbs or sugars, i don't crave them. Now when I go to he ranch or the beach and I go off diet, i know the following week I'm going to have cravings. I'm to the point now though that I can weigh the the side effects. Are cravings the next week worth the tacos in the morning and beers in the afternoon? But I KNOW if I get back to eating clean, the cravings will go away shortly and Ill be feeling good again. I had a cruise and beach weekend back to back recently. I ate and drank as I pleased knowing that when I got back home, i was going to hammer down again on diet/exercise. it took me about 3 weeks to recover on the scale but that's ok. I knew what I was signing up for. That kind of confidence is something I've never even come close to having before carnivore.

-stay on top of electrolytes and magnesium. The keto flu and legs cramps that can happen are NO JOKE but as long as you stay diligent they are a nothing burger.
Tex117
AG
Im glad this can work for some of yall.

If yall exercise heavily, I can't see how you can do it without carbs, but more power to you I suppose.
Todd 02
AG
Consistent exercise changes how saturated fat is used by the body

ETA: Fat is energy also and our bodies are designed to use it.
jtraggie99
AG
Todd 02 said:

That whole article is about how increasing exercise burns more fat.

And I found this comment at the end:

" Importantly, the study did not assess the impact of consuming fat, and the existing advice remains to try and replace saturated fat in the diet with unsaturated fat. "
Todd 02
AG
jtraggie99 said:

Todd 02 said:

" Importantly, the study did not assess the impact of consuming fat, and the existing advice remains to try and replace saturated fat in the diet with unsaturated fat. "

True Anomaly
AG
Todd 02 said:

jtraggie99 said:

Todd 02 said:

No….the article looked to see the differences in fat burning of unstatured fat and saturated fat with exercise.

It did NOT compare a high fat/low carb diet to a low fat/high carb diet and see how exercise burns those differently

It's misleading to say that exercise burns more fat than carbs based upon this article. And the insinuation is that you can ONLY lose weight on a high fat diet, which is 100% false
Todd 02
AG
But I didn't say any of that. I said fat is also energy and the body can and does use it as such. You said all that other stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.