Give me a mind-blowing history fact

91,045 Views | 820 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by Jabin
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

BQ_90 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Side note, the National WWI Museum in Kansas City is fantastic. A bucket list item
we need another thread on best history museum to go to
I like that idea so much, I'm stealing it

https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/3463115
i was hoping for it, i was too lazy to start it
LMCane
I just saw this while working on my book.

Union General Phillip H. Sheridan stated after the war while he was a Military Governor of the former Confederacy:

"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell."
Jabin
LMCane said:

Union General Phillip H. Sheridan stated after the war while he was a Military Governor of the former Confederacy:

That statement's been known for just about forever!
Slicer97
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

grizzly 150 lbs
That seemed a little small, based on my limited experience being way to close to grizzley bears in Alaska. A quick search indicates average grown males are maybe 3 or 4 times heavier - not sure, though, on harvest weight.

Fascinating info, though.
I don't recall where I read this, but harvest weight from a grizzly is supposed to be around 40% of body weight.

For bovines, it's closer to 60%. Deer are in the neighborhood of 50%.

It'd also depend on when the bear was harvested. It'd be higher for a bear coming out of hibernation than for one going in.
UTExan
LMCane said:

The flaws in his judgement are exemplified when the Army created the M551 AR/AAV, the Sheridan vehicle which had zero useful armor, very unreliable electronics and an overly big spout out of which oversized projectiles were launched.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BQ78
AG
Yeah and a buddy and I have talked about going to West Point, dig him up and bring him to Texas for reburial so he can be in hell and Texas at the same time.
Rongagin71
AG
My favorite version, sung by a Scot who emigrated to Texas and used to entertain.
Rabid Cougar
AG
ReloadAg said:

What's a good book to read on the L&C expedition?

My personal favorite is "Lewis and Clark Amongst the Indians" by James Ronda.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Slicer97 said:

Hey Nav said:

Quote:

grizzly 150 lbs
That seemed a little small, based on my limited experience being way to close to grizzley bears in Alaska. A quick search indicates average grown males are maybe 3 or 4 times heavier - not sure, though, on harvest weight.

I don't recall where I read this, but harvest weight from a grizzly is supposed to be around 40% of body weight.

It'd also depend on when the bear was harvested. It'd be higher for a bear coming out of hibernation than for one going in.

The expedition was halted by the great bison migration as it crossed the Missouri River. Every Grizzly Bear for miles around was also there feasting on the drowned bison carcasses . These were the first bears they came across. So they were probably just coming out of hibernation.
lurker76
Slicer97 said:

Hey Nav said:

Quote:

grizzly 150 lbs

I'm not a hunter, so I don't know, but it seems the bears would be heavier going into hibernation instead of coming out. They put on as much weight as possible beforehand to allow the body to use the fat during hibernation. Is that wrong?
Hey Nav
AG
In my travels in Alaska, I never did see a Polar Bear, but I did have the pleasure to travel to Kodiak several times .I think they have the new and most modern C-130J's these days at USGG Kodiak.Good for them.

Saw a few Kodiak bears there on the island. I did do some hiking and camping back when I was a youngster.

Quote:

An average adult male measures 244 cm (8 ft 0 in) in length, and stands 133 cm (4 ft 4 in) tall at the shoulder. The largest recorded wild male weighed 751 kg (1,656 lb), and had a hind foot measurement of 46 cm (18 in).[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodiak_bear#cite_note-Wood-12][12][/url] A large male Kodiak bear stands up to 1.5 m (4.9 ft) tall at the shoulder when it is standing on all four legs. When standing fully upright on its hind legs, a large male could reach a height of 3 m (9.8 ft).[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodiak_bear#cite_note-factsheet-3][3][/url] The largest verified size for a captive Kodiak bear was for a specimen that lived at the Dakota Zoo in Bismarck, North Dakota. Nicknamed "Clyde", he weighed 966 kg (2,130 lb) when he died in June 1987 at the age of 22. According to zoo director Terry Lincoln, Clyde probably weighed close to 1,089 kg (2,400 lb) a year earlier. He still had a fat layer of 9 in (23 cm) when he died.

So, Clyde the bear might have weighed 2400 pounds. That's my contribution of an awesome fact.

Will do my best to not hijack this thread anymore.
USAFAg
AG
Nah, just adding to the discussion of the gut-blowing fact!

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
p_bubel

A. J. Goddard was a Klondike Gold Rush era sternwheeler owned by Seattle businessman Albert J. Goddard and built for transport of men and supplies on the Upper Yukon River in Canada.

She was assembled from pieces which were manufactured in San Francisco, shipped up to Skagway, Alaska, hauled over the Coast Mountains by horse and men, and finally assembled at Lake Bennett. She made one trip to Dawson during the gold rush, was sold and sank in a storm on Lake Laberge in 1901. Her wreck was discovered in 2008 by Doug Davidge and was designated as a Yukon Historic Site.

The story of the steamboats of the Yukon River and their remains is an interesting one.
Rongagin71
AG
For some time, like decades, the Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo
has laid claim to being the busiest in the world.
Slicer97
AG
lurker76 said:

Slicer97 said:

Hey Nav said:

Quote:

grizzly 150 lbs

I'm not a hunter, so I don't know, but it seems the bears would be heavier going into hibernation instead of coming out. They put on as much weight as possible beforehand to allow the body to use the fat during hibernation. Is that wrong?
Yeah, they'd be heavier going in, but a lot of that weight would be fat. Fat, bone, and innards don't count as part of the yeild.
Jabin
Slicer97 said:

lurker76 said:

Slicer97 said:

Hey Nav said:

Quote:

grizzly 150 lbs

Yeah, they'd be heavier going in, but a lot of that weight would be fat. Fat, bone, and innards don't count as part of the yeild.
I think fat would have counted as yield to mountain men and the L&C crew. Everything I've read is that such men craved fat. They'd eat lard straight if they could get it.

Also, innards definitely count as yield. It's interesting that we've gotten so comfortable as a society that we no longer eat innards. My grandparents, who were definitely not poor but grew up in rural Texas, ate just about everything off the critter and even seemed to prefer many of the innards to the meat itself. They even ate pickled pigs feet which I thought was disgusting.

But we're discussing details, now. The main point still holds true, which is the L&C team ate an amazing amount of meat from an incredible amount of critters that they had to kill.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.