Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

U of Houston tells NFL to pound sand

11,392 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Magneto
TexAggie1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Spaceball 1 said:

the NFL royally screwed Houston. I have no problem with the Adams family moving the team, but the Oilers and our history belongs to the city not the family. And for that reason I love what UH is doing, its arguing we have our own claim to luv ya blue and the Oilers

I hope Bud Adams is chillin with Jesus but I hate the man.

I do hate that the Oilers history was allowed to leave with the team. I wish the Texans would have just been the Oilers and considered just the return of the Oilers like what happened in Cleveland. I would have actually cared about them then (at least until 2020 when all the pro teams started pushing social agendas and I completely stopped caring about all pro sports).

That said, I don't hate Bud Adams. He demanded a stadium. The city said No. He left. The Astros would have left too when they demanded a new stadium except the spineless city caved and gave into their demands. We are left with the Houston Sports Authority wasting money on building fancy sports facilities for billionaire owners and millionaire players and the highest hotel and rental car taxes in the nation.

Either way, I LOVE what U of H is doing with their alternate uniforms and am glad they are giving a one finger salute to the piece of crap NFL.

halfastros81
AG
I don't see how the Titans/ex Oilers could own colors. Maybe they can own , have exclusive rights on the names of the colors …i dunno. Maybe they can even have trademark rights on the derrick. Change it up some . Seems like they can work around it if they want to.
Iowaggie
AG
I don't know what the best or most recent case would be that reviewed this type of thing, but Board of Supervisors for Louisiana State University Agricultural and Mechanical College v. Smack Apparel seems relevant.

Not sure if it was the phrasing and the colors that was enough to cause the confusion or just the colors.
My guess is if Houston goes with the colors and "Luv ya Blue", then UH would lose a lawsuit. Are the colors enough, I'm not sure and need a more legalese mind to look at the case.

From one of the commentaries: While the Smack Apparel case shows that it is possible to protect unique and distinctive school and team colors as trademarks, the ability to develop and protect color marks is also applicable to other industries. For example, Citigroup, Inc. holds a federal registration for its distinctive "Blue Wave" mark for banking and investment services.
offenseguru
AG
HPD cars going back to the 50's were Columbia Blue. My dad was HPD and in the 70s drove a late 60's Ford cruiser that was Columbia blue. The 50's cars predated the Oilers
The Porkchop Express
halfastros81 said:

I don't see how the Titans/ex Oilers could own colors. Maybe they can own , have exclusive rights on the names of the colors …i dunno. Maybe they can even have trademark rights on the derrick. Change it up some . Seems like they can work around it if they want to.
Seriously you could make a nearly perfect copy with subtle changes and WTf are they going to do?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
I will always bleed maroon!
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
TheDraw
AG
The Seahacks essentially copied and posted our 12th man. Who cares what the NFL thinks.
BMX Bandit
The Porkchop Express said:

halfastros81 said:

Seriously you could make a nearly perfect copy with subtle changes and WTf are they going to do?
sue you most likely.

thats why UH did this:

Quote:

Pezman said an updated design has modified the striping on the uniforms, and uses a slightly different shade of blue than the Columbia blue the Oilers popularized in the late 1970s.
they are changing it to look less like the oillers
greg.w.h
AG
Notice the NFL C&D was respected because our intellectual property law is mostly orderly and respects precedent. There are things that annoy about dealing with it but most of those are a result of our adversarial jurisprudence that allows all parties to defend themselves except those who were targeted by crimes. The state represents society as a whole in prosecuting criminal behavior.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The roughnecks also had to modify their logo because, apparently, the *****ass Adams family owns the concept of an oil derrick, which no one had ever seen in the real world before or since the genius Bud Adams conceived it.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/01/08/nfl-titans-oppose-trademark-of-roughnecks-xfl-logo/football/

My original logo hat from 2020 must have skyrocketed in collector value as a result; I just haven't had time to check on that.
Magneto
AG
Don't forget Gunter, Texas High School
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.