Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Help us write a history of Aggie tailgating

688 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by texag_89
Aggie Network
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG

When did Texas Aggies start tailgating?

It appears that tailgating or picnics at Texas A&M go back at least to the 1960s, picked up popularity in the 1980s, followed by an increase in the late 1990s, and got a big boost in 2012 when Texas A&M joined the SEC.

Does that match up with Aggies' experience? Do you have great tailgating stories from any era?

Let us know!

Read more about what we think we know so far --> Current timeline

Share your tales and photos --> tx.ag/TailgateStories
The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
lotoarmy
AG
I remember, in the '70s, when we could drive up to most any campus building parking lot. Back up to the curb, unload our stuff on the grass, and have a good time. I'm talking within shouting distance from Kyle field.

Of course, then, tailgating was more like a picnic than what it is now.
Last of the Old Army
NoahAg
I don't remember tailgating being that big a deal when I was in school ('98-'04). I'm sure it was happening, but nothing like the last 10 years.
texag_89
In the mid-late 80's we would go to "The Bus" after a gameā€¦.. It was parked just outside the NW corner of Kyle not that many steps away from the old ramps.

Was not much else besides NG happening in those days leading up to games, aka The Chicken and Duds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.