General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread

163,465 Views | 2611 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by deadbq03
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

You never know what's gonna happen. That's a red all day every day
How thats not a red card is unbelievable
Dre_00
What if I told you the ref didn't even give a yellow? Wout wasn't seriously hurt because Sabitzer's leg was already coming back. Still makes it look a lot worse than it was.
Dre_00
I can tell United are actually playing somewhat decent football again because all of the conspiracy theories and absurd BS are coming out again.
Furlock Bones
AG
Because this still image does not at all tell the story. He pulled back as soon as he made contact. Leicester players weren't even freaking out.
jeffk
AG
Dre_00 said:

I can tell United are actually playing somewhat decent football again because all of the conspiracy theories and absurd BS are coming out again.

When it comes to sports, your options are 1) have your team suck and have everyone be glad you suck or 2) have your team be good and have everyone be mad that you're good.
KCup17
AG
would add in an option 3) have a mediocre team that gets bought and then have everyone hate you because of your new owners.
jeffk
AG
Ah, I didn't know you supported Chelsea!
Dre_00
It appears that Liverpool are no longer for sale.

https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-sale-fsg-chief-john-henry-confirms-reds-not-for-sale
jeffk
AG
Apparently weren't ever for sale if you believe John Henry of FSG.
Dre_00
Some strong "Fine, I didn't like you anyway" vibes after getting rejected.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, everything is for sale if the price is right.

Edit - but it's fine really because now I can continue to keep a hard anti-sportswashing line without having to be introspective.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Apparently weren't ever for sale if you believe John Henry of FSG.

That's code for "the rich emir bought someone else first"
jeffk
AG
Oh, if the league buys the "yeah, we're a totally different set of Qatari royals" rationale, I'm sure there'll be another wave of purchases here in a couple years.

And I am in 100% agreement that ManU is a more valuable global brand than LFC.
Mathguy64
AG
What will be interesting is that this is a public company, unlike PSG, Man Dhabi, Newsaud United. They will have to actually have clean books, pay dividends, etc.
jeffk
AG
I am not yet fully convinced that will be true, but okay.
Mathguy64
AG
The difference is in a publicly traded company they actually have to file government paperwork every year and if you fake it you are going to get caught. And unlike FIFA, governments dont take kindly to fraud. Ask Juventus. Thats literally what got them in trouble.
jeffk
AG
Well! Since you explained to me what a publicly traded corporation is, I no longer have any concerns.
Dre_00
No new owner has to keep the club publicly traded. They could easily make a bid to take the club fully private after acquiring the class B shares. And if they run into obstacles taking it fully private (i.e. board and/or shareholders don't accept a "fair" offer), they could easily drive the shareholders away by, for example, cutting the dividend entirely.

I could see Ineos keeping it publicly traded but I doubt the Qataris would have any interest in keeping it on the NYSE.
Showstopper
AG
I don't think it will be public traded after this. That was just a vehicle for some of the Glazer siblings to sell some of their holdings. I would expect the Qataris to buyout the NYSE holders and take ownership exclusively private.
deadbq03
AG
Obligatory username checks out.
Showstopper
AG
Well, I say Qataris. Could be that Ratcliffe wins (who purportedly only desires majority rather than completely ownership). Could be Joel and Avram Glazer take really expensive hedge fund financing to buyout their siblings. Neither would necessarily require buying out the NYSE shareholders.

But let's be real, it's probably the Qataris.
wangus12
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CpDUynNMnfP
Rudyjax
AG

deadbq03
AG
AMA midfield!

Strong debut lineup from the new coach.
Furlock Bones
AG
Kids woke me up early. Pulled them in bed but they would not go back to sleep. So I got up and thought well at least there is the 6:30 kickoff…postponed because it was supposed to be Newcastle.
Engine10
AG
deadbq03 said:

AMA midfield!

Strong debut lineup from the new coach.

The morning just got interesting!
Rudyjax
AG
Anyone know when the last time 3 Americans started for the same premier league team?
deadbq03
AG
This one might be the last after that **** pass from McKinnie.
Furlock Bones
AG
Leicester on the counter.

"Hey we have numbers. Let's stop at the top of the box and let arsenal regroup."
"Great idea!"

Arsenal are the better squad. But Leicester have made some absolutely daft decisions when they have had a chance.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

This one might be the last after that **** pass from McKinnie.

Yeah. It's really good coaching to pull a player after one bad pass.
Furlock Bones
AG
3 games. 6 teams. 90 minutes of soccer played. 0 goals. What a start.
deadbq03
AG
You sure?

Oh you're using sarcasm. I was using hyperbole.

English lesson done for the day.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

You sure?

Oh you're using sarcasm. I was using hyperbole.

English lesson done for the day.

Sorry. I just hate it when "fans" harp on one play. There's a reason why a match is 90 minutes.
Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Someone who knows the game better than me, what's the point of passing back to the keeper if he's just going to bomb it 60 yards down field for a 50/50 ball? And I know the difference between that and a clearance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.