Arsenal 2023-2024 Thread

178,796 Views | 3880 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by chjoak
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Martinelli on the right is a waste.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
What a ball by MO.
Project Gemini
AG
What was Pickford going on about?
gougler08
AG
Can't believe they let that stand
_____________________________________________________ Today's winner of the A&M Football Board BBQ Blitz is: gougler08
AustinScubaAg
AG
Welp great season. To bad the team that built their squad by breaking the rules won it again.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
And we took four points off those ****ers this year.
wangus12
AG
Hurts. Hard.to believe this team has no major silverware over the last 2 years
jeffk
AG
I wanted y'all to take the title if Liverpool couldn't. Sorry the team came up a little short again. I definitely understand the feeling.
OneBlitzer
AG
Just finished watching the two matches simultaneously. Proud of our boys!

Congratulations to The C1t1zen5!
YNWA.2013
Gutting end to the season for you Gunners. City nipping you to the title on the final day is a feeling my club is very familiar with.
zgolfz85
AG
At least we were there with a chance. Been a long time for that and the season was exciting throughout. Title will be nice when it finally happens again, but this club made itself the most globally relevant again for the first time in way too long. And never really had to sweat champions league inclusion much
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
29 goals conceded is a huge accomplishment. I didn't realize the record was 15 by Chelsea, which must have been incredible.

TXAggie2011
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

29 goals conceded is a huge accomplishment. I didn't realize the record was 15 by Chelsea, which must have been incredible.

That Chelsea team was led by a huge ***** in Mourinho and that defense was full of *****s like John Terry and Williams Gallas but together they were monstrous. And Pete Cech in goal, of course
chjoak
AG
Based on the last several months of rumors and a little general common sense, I've got a few bold (and not so bold) predictions for our summer window.....

GK
- Rams sold
- Hein loaned
- sign a a vet FA (or cheap 30+) along with a young HG or u21 (Patterson, Beaudry)

DF
- OZ is sold
- no other outs unless Kiwior forces a move
- bring in Jorrel Hato and ease him into the rotation. he plays FA Cup and some garbage min in EPL and/or CL group stage

MF
- ESR sold
- Vieira loaned
- Partey stays because we can't find a deal that works for all parties. he is then sold in Jan after frustrations over low minutes.
- new starting quality MF (#6 or 8)
- Nwaneri + a new u21 signee get ESR & Vieira's minutes until Jan and then one is loaned

FW
- Jesus stays
- Eddie & Nelson sold
- we sign a #2 ST (Sesko, Zirkzee, Brobbey). Havertz remains starter.
- we sign a young HG or u21 W that can play both W to take Nelson's minutes and push Jesus/Trossard

Summary
- lots of depth dropped
- new young players brought in to raise quality floor
- only 1 immediately starter (DM/CM) signed

Next season's depth.....

GK - Raya, new vet, new youth
DF - Saliba, Gabi, White, Timber, Tomi, Kiwior, Hato
MF - Rice, MO, new DM/CM, Jorge, Partey, Nwaneri, new CM/AM
FW - Havertz, Saka, Marti, Jesus, Trossard, new ST, new W
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I hope you're correct. And then we need Arteta to use the depth.
RF93
AG
According to the article on ESPN our #1 signing priority is a 'versatile' forward who can put defenses under pressure and penetrate. To me that is what Trossard does so perhaps a similar but upgraded profile? Would love to see a new long term solution at #6 to make us less dependent on Partey. We also know that Cedric and Elneny are at the end of their contracts and won't return. Will be curious to see what happens with their more promising players on loan this season.
CatD11Ag
AG
zgolfz85
AG
CatD11Ag said:

That's insane
CatD11Ag
AG
CatD11Ag
AG
Agree. I did not know this and still thinking about having played every single minute of the season.
chjoak
AG
RF93 said:

According to the article on ESPN our #1 signing priority is a 'versatile' forward who can put defenses under pressure and penetrate. To me that is what Trossard does so perhaps a similar but upgraded profile? Would love to see a new long term solution at #6 to make us less dependent on Partey. We also know that Cedric and Elneny are at the end of their contracts and won't return. Will be curious to see what happens with their more promising players on loan this season.

1. ESPN has no idea what they are talking about with Euro soccer. They are regurgitating 4-6 month old info.
2. Look at the current squad and who is leaving. While I agree Arteta wants another versatile FW, we currently have 5 returning players at FW and 2 (Trossard & Jesus) can play all 3 positions. #1 priority would indicate a new starter and it is unlikely that we add a versatile FW that will become an immediate starter.
3. With Havertz moving to FW, Rice & MO are our only legit starting MFers. The remaining depth chart is a 32 yo who cant play 90 on the regular, a 30 yo that cant stay healthy and 2 younger players that cant get on the field. A new starting 6 or 8 absolutely has to be the #1 priority.
wangus12
AG
Agreed. I think the main priority will be another midfield starter. I think we sign a FW, but it'll be a younger project rather than a starter
CatD11Ag
AG
Interesting financial details.

chjoak
AG
This summer will be about solidifying the starting MF and increasing our quality depth.

GK - we are solid. any backup we sign is simply there in case Raya gets hurt
DF - very solid. if we can keep Timber & Tomi healthy we will have a very strong rotation and I think they likely squeeze Kiwior out (assuming he stays). OZ needs to go. He doesn't bring anything to the table that Timber & Tomi can't and there is no reason for him to rot on the bench.
MF - outside of Rice & MO we need a complete overhaul but I think that is a 2-3 summer transition with Jorge & possibly Partey maintaining quality depth for us while we sort it out. Buy a new 6/8 starter and you are in much better shape because barring injuries Rice, MO and the new guy are likely gonna get 3000+ min each in league. Jorge, Partey (or a new young guy) plus Havertz/Trossard/Nwaneri/Vieira/ESR will be good for backup & FA cup next season.
FW - while I see the need for some new blood, I am actually more comfortable with our wing situation next season than others. Marti was off this season but he, Saka, Trossard & Jesus is a strong W rotation. I want a strong replacement for Eddie that can force Jesus & Trossard to stay on the W. The we can address W next summer as I also see a need to throw a bone to some of our high performing youth players in FA cups and maybe the odd blowout.
chjoak
AG
That was quick

gougler08
AG
Never change Chelsea
chjoak
AG

2 notes of worth.....

- he turns 19 in a couple weeks so would not be HG eligible
- Rennes record sale is 28m euro and TM rates tis guy at 20m so a 30-35m euro fee may be reasonable
TXAggie2011
AG
With transfer talk taking over the thread...I believe its time...
RF93
AG
Quote:

1. ESPN has no idea what they are talking about with Euro soccer. They are regurgitating 4-6 month old info.
2. Look at the current squad and who is leaving. While I agree Arteta wants another versatile FW, we currently have 5 returning players at FW and 2 (Trossard & Jesus) can play all 3 positions. #1 priority would indicate a new starter and it is unlikely that we add a versatile FW that will become an immediate starter.
3. With Havertz moving to FW, Rice & MO are our only legit starting MFers. The remaining depth chart is a 32 yo who cant play 90 on the regular, a 30 yo that cant stay healthy and 2 younger players that cant get on the field. A new starting 6 or 8 absolutely has to be the #1 priority.
1. Come on dude that's a little harsh. Not completely unfounded regarding ESPN but I'd like to think I have an idea of what I'm talking about but am no expert by any means.
2. This is an interesting question entering the summer transfer window. I'd argue we could use attacking depth and versatility to help change pace and break down bunkered in defenses.
3. I agree our biggest weakness is the midfield and will be curious to see the profile of the players they pursue this summer. Does Rice shift back to #6 if we find a new #8? Is Arteta looking for a certain profiles then determine positions after the fact? Where would we like to see Rice play?
zgolfz85
AG
3rd kit leak?

if so love the trefoil adidas logo!
chjoak
AG
New thread for 24/25 guys. We can continue the summer discussion over there..... https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/3461686
First Page Refresh
Page 111 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.