*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

332,385 Views | 6935 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Tksymm7
Water Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
91 wins may be all that is needed to win this division.
DallasAg 94
File this under... turning over every rock:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/05/rangers-sign-kyle-barraclough-to-minor-league-deal.html

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Water Boy said:

91 wins may be all that is needed to win this division.

It may be but I think Seattle has the best team right now. They don't have a potent offense but that pitching staff is damn good.

I think we need about 96 wins this year to win the division.
Double Talkin' Jive...
sburg2007
I'm a huge scherzer fan but, I didn't expect anything out of him when they made the trade. I don't expect anything this year but what the what about fore arm???

DallasAg 94
Their hitting is bad. It could just be the cooler damp NW weather early is helping the P.

Consider this:
AL ERA for SP:
4. Mariners: 3.34, 1.03 WHIP, 215.1 IP, 216 SO
7. Rangers: 3.71, 1.18 WHIP, 213.2, 204 SO

Mariners: 5 SP
1. Gilbert: 7GS, 1.69, 0.79
10. Miller: 7GS, 2.61, 0.92
20. Castillo: 8GS, 3.54, 1.14
27. Kirby: 8GS, 4.15, 1.04
Hancock: 7GS, 5.24, 1.31 37th

Rangers: 8 SP
8. Gray: 7GS, 2.50, 1.16
10. Eovaldi: 7GS, 2.61, 1.16
Dunning: 7GS, 4.10, 1.15 (27th if Q. Needs 1.2 IP)
Heaney: 7GS, 4.50, 1.11 (33rd if Q. Needs 3.0)
Lorenzen: 5GS, 4.66, 1.34 (10.0 IP from Q) 33rd

Bradford: 3GS, 1.40, 0.62
Leiter: 2GS, 12.91
Urena: 1GS

Seattle has not had a disruption in their rotation. I don't know that Bradford maintains his performance, but he was projected for the rotation.

Seattle has 5 P on the IL. Only 1 is a SP and I don't think he was necessarily projected in their 2024 rotation.

This will be interesting.
DallasAg 94
I'm looking for the phrase "as a precaution. "
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Their hitting is bad. It could just be the cooler damp NW weather early is helping the P.

Consider this:
AL ERA for SP:
4. Mariners: 3.34, 1.03 WHIP, 215.1 IP, 216 SO
7. Rangers: 3.71, 1.18 WHIP, 213.2, 204 SO

Mariners: 5 SP
1. Gilbert: 7GS, 1.69, 0.79
10. Miller: 7GS, 2.61, 0.92
20. Castillo: 8GS, 3.54, 1.14
27. Kirby: 8GS, 4.15, 1.04
Hancock: 7GS, 5.24, 1.31 37th

Rangers: 8 SP
8. Gray: 7GS, 2.50, 1.16
10. Eovaldi: 7GS, 2.61, 1.16
Dunning: 7GS, 4.10, 1.15 (27th if Q. Needs 1.2 IP)
Heaney: 7GS, 4.50, 1.11 (33rd if Q. Needs 3.0)
Lorenzen: 5GS, 4.66, 1.34 (10.0 IP from Q) 33rd

Bradford: 3GS, 1.40, 0.62
Leiter: 2GS, 12.91
Urena: 1GS

Seattle has not had a disruption in their rotation. I don't know that Bradford maintains his performance, but he was projected for the rotation.

Seattle has 5 P on the IL. Only 1 is a SP and I don't think he was necessarily projected in their 2024 rotation.

This will be interesting.
Need our bats to step up in may. Reinforcements arriving in June.
AgsWin2011
AG
Looks like we're going to have the same streaky offense as last year. 10+ runs or nothing. Such a weird team, but fun to watch.
gigem1223
I know he's just off injury himself, but I think it's time we give Antoine Kelly the call with Sborz going on the IL. He's been dominant since the start of last season.
gigem1223
Hard to believe, but the rangers have now scored the most runs in the AL.
ChoppinDs40
AG
gigem1223 said:

I know he's just off injury himself, but I think it's time we give Antoine Kelly the call with Sborz going on the IL. He's been dominant since the start of last season.

Wait, did Sborz come back and get reinjured?
fc2112
Quick stroll through the IL

https://www.espn.com/mlb/injuries

Texas has 22 guys on the IL, the most in MLB. But the Yankees and Astros both have 21, and most teams have more than 15.

We tend to focus on ourselves and think we're snake bit - but pretty much everyone has serious injury problems. Interestingly, Seattle has the fewest injuries in MLB right now. They are young, but you figure the avergaes will catch up with them too.

I guess we're gonna see a lot of AAA ball at the MLB level this season.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes. Faced 2 hitters and had to leave yesterday. The shoulder he missed time for already seems prime suspect
ChoppinDs40
AG
fc2112 said:

Quick stroll through the IL

https://www.espn.com/mlb/injuries

Texas has 22 guys on the IL, the most in MLB. But the Yankees and Astros both have 21, and most teams have more than 15.

We tend to focus on ourselves and think we're snake bit - but pretty much everyone has serious injury problems. Interestingly, Seattle has the fewest injuries in MLB right now. They are young, but you figure the avergaes will catch up with them too.

I guess we're gonna see a lot of AAA ball at the MLB level this season.

I wonder how we compare from a "production on the IL" perspective. We have 5 SPs on there right now. An all star 3B and more.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Blows my mind that we're 5 games above .500 and leading our division with this mash unit. Outside of 5 hitters in our line up, we're a bunch of "who is that?"

Literally, our entire projected SP rotation is on the IL right now.
fc2112
Yankees have four starting pitchers and an All Star third baseman.

Houston has 7 starting pitchers.
Ag Since 83
AG
Went out last night and avoided watching the last four innings, so I'm just now posting this

Water Boy
AG
Mariners may not be as good as everyone thinks they are. Only 8 players on the IL. I don't wish injury on anyone but with how the mlb is now it would be extremely rare if a few of their pitchers didn't hit the IL for some reason or another. If they can't get a decent lead in the division when they are far and way more healthy than us and the Astros what makes you think they'll be a problem when we get reinforcements and they have players hitting the IL?
Water Boy
AG
Incredible to be 5 games over .500 with 3 of our top pitchers out, seager playing like a rookie, jung out, Bradford playing great then got hurt. If this team is even remotely healthy for the playoffs they could absolutely win another title.
Tksymm7
AG
The Mariners are a good team, who have a pretty sustainable pitching staff (they literally do not walk opposing hitters), but the issue for them that has been the issue the past three or so years is that they simply do not hit the ball enough. I'll be curious if they are willing to go out and trade some of their pitching depth for a real impact bat.
DallasAg 94
Your point is valid, but that list is a bit skewed because it includes minor league guys not on the 40: Matt Duffy, Shane Green, and Luis Mieses, to name 3.

We have 12 on the 40 that are on the IL and that includes Mahle, whom we signed to put on the 40. We also grabbed Carson Coleman on Rule V knowing he was still coming back from TJ. Yankees got Brubaker in a trade to stash on the 60, as well, IIRC.
Tksymm7
AG
Matt Duffy just got released the the other day as well.
fc2112
Yeah, I realize that list is not the best - but it was all I had that was all in one place.

I figured each team would have a similar number of guys not on the 40 and thus a team to team comparison would be valid.
DallasAg 94
Tksymm7 said:

Matt Duffy just got released the the other day as well.
I believe Danny Duffy got released.
Tksymm7
AG
Yeah my fault. I can't keep all of the Duffy's straight in my head lol.
DallasAg 94
Hopefully the Rangers day off today will help the Stars and Mavs focus better on G2.
DallasAg 94
Rotation ahead:
@ Colorado
5/10: Open @ Gomber
5/11: Gray @ Feltner
5/12: Heaney @ Hudson
v Cle
5/13: Open v Bibee
5/14: Lorenzen v Lively
5/15: Open v Carrasco

SP Option for Open:
Urena <- Went 90PC on Tues
Cole Winn: 8G, 6.10, 0.774 WHIP, 10.1 IP, 10 SO
Owen White: 1G, Inf ERA, 0.0 IP, 3H, 0 BB
Jack Leiter: 2GS, 12.91, 2.348 WHIP, 7.2 IP, 6 SO

I can see Leiter getting the 5/13 GS. Maybe Urena.

MLB has added a limit to Optioning a player during the season to 4 times. Leiter has used 1. If he gets sent down as part of the xtra spot for the DH, it doesn't count. However, if they don't send him down... he'll burn the 2nd of 4 Options during the season.

If Dunning and Sborz are both out for extended periods, we'll likely have to keep Leiter as the only in-house viable option.

Eovaldi won't be eligible to be back until after May 18, IIRC. That is if he is healthy.

I think Owen White might be back out there for the Friday GS. With the high altitude and thin air, someone will be sacrificed and it will likely be a complete mess.
fc2112
I thought there was no option used for calling a guy up for a double header?

And if we're looking for human sacrifice, how about Adrian Sampson? Isn't that what 32 year old minor leaguers are for?
KT 90
AG
Unless they pull someone from Round Rock it about has to be Winn or White on the Fri 5/10 Open game (too soon for Urena). Winn started out great, but the last couple of outings or so haven't been as good. And White didn't record an out yesterday. We likely pick one of Winn/White to start knowing that both will be needed to get through the Friday game.

We really need some of our injured starters back asap. A well timed rainout would be helpful as well to get past this stretch
KT 90
AG
fc2112 said:

I thought there was no option used for calling a guy up for a double header?

I am not sure who the designated pitcher was (Leiter or White), but we may need to keep them up anyway given the current lack of starting pitchers.

DallasAg 94
Correct... if they send Leiter back as having only been called up for the DH... it doesn't count.

I was trying to say if they keep him up for another GS... when they send him down he would count.
Water Boy
AG
Trying to be optimistic about the injuries. So many young guys are getting plenty of opportunities to prove themselves. CY will know exactly what this team needs by the trade deadline and next offseason. Last offseason he said he wanted to give minor league guys opportunities to see what we have. Well by the end of the season we will have a great idea about who will be ready for 25 and who isn't getting it done.
Water Boy
AG
Mariners getting smacked around by the twins.
Water Boy
AG
Btw Julio Rodriguez has the exact same amount of RBIs and HRs as Wyatt Langford. Just something to keep in mind.
Coppell97
AG
Mariners getting rocked today.
First Page Last Page
Page 175 of 199

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.