Anyone a seasonal Texan? Opposite of the snow bird.

1,490 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by 94chem
TikkaShooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Goal: Leave Texas from June-October, returning for Nov-May

Wondering if we have any seasonal Texans here. If so, do you:

- Own a second home?
- Rent a home/property?
- Use travel points for long term stays at hotels/resorts?
- Cruises?
- RV?

The idea is to keep our primary home and come back to that each fall. But travel during the brutally hot times of the year. Basically the opposite of the snow bird.

Interested to here of anyone who splits time in a different part of the country/world.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
This is one of my life goals. I'd like to spend May/June-August somewhere else and return in time for Aggie football. I've looked at rentals in the PNW and Alaska.
Apache
AG
One of my suppliers sold his business right before the crash of 2007/08.
Was sitting on that cash & invested heavily in the market when it was down. Now he is swimming in it.

Spends June-September at his house in Maine.
Oct/Nov. and Mar-May in Austin.
Dec-March at his place in Palm Springs

No real set dates, he jokes that if he has to turn on a heater or air conditioner, he leaves where he's staying and goes to the best option.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Legend.
MAROON
AG
Colorado and Park City basically become Texas North every summer.

We have a place in Western North Carolina at 3500ft. It's great for the spring/summer/fall. The plan is upon retirement to spend most of every summer up there.
Matsui
AG
Badass
TikkaShooter
I wondered about this. The influx of Texans/southern summer travelers into places. And if it makes sense to look outside the box a little. Coastal New England, Upper Michigan, etc. I haven't traveled to enough US summertime gems to know what's out there, but this is what the next 5-7 years are for. Find a place, and start making plans.
I bleed maroon
AG
My next door neighbors just bought a small condo in the Seattle area (Bainbridge Island) expressly for this purpose.
94chem
For those of us not in the top 5% of earners, I would get a place in Cloudcroft, NM, in the summer. One day drive from Houston. Affordable, low property taxes. Could even rent it out during ski season.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
htxag09
AG
My dad takes his travel trailer to Ruidoso, NM and leaves it there all summer, where he spends the vast majority of his time. His main home is on the water in Corpus.

Obviously the weather there is great, but he also raves about the RV parks they have.
Pahdz
Northern MN/WI/MI
The Chicken Ranch
AG
If I could, I'd spend Summers in Western NC, Fall in the Florida Panhandle, winter in the Antilles, and Spring in the Keys.

I'd only come to Texas for health care, a few Aggie football games, a Aggie baseball series or two, and funerals.
94chem
htxag09 said:

My dad takes his travel trailer to Ruidoso, NM and leaves it there all summer, where he spends the vast majority of his time. His main home is on the water in Corpus.

Obviously the weather there is great, but he also raves about the RV parks they have.

He's close...but Cloudcroft kills Ruidoso. Shhh...don't tell anybody. Ruidoso is 2000 feet lower (hotter), and way more crowded.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
dylan
We have looked for a place to buy or rent summers. It seems Olympic oeininsuka, Montana, Alaska, are so expensive. Western NC seems intriguing but I wouldn't be surprised that that is expensive as well. I love Cloudcroft but my wife hates high altitude.
ag88man
AG
My wife and I are are both teachers. Our children are grown and self sufficient (Don't ask for money). We own our home and have no debts. We have always worked multiple jobs to complete our year, but have recently cut back to just teaching during the school year. I consider us semi-retired since we have so much time off.

We would love to find a place to "summer." Read- Cool weather only. I'm loving hearing y'all's suggestions. We've enjoyed visiting Germany and Czech Republic, and have thought about renting for the summer and possibly buying a small place. We need to spend more time in the northern US and Canada.
JMac03
AG
This is our plan - have a summer and winter house. Summer either in Texas or Florida, winter in maybe Colorado. Of course things could change, but this is what we hope to do. Maybe even throw a Mexico house in there.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Our plan is to vrbo for a month or six weeks and work remotely. Before covid, this was not an option. Now, maybe. Bossman is no dummy. He knows how much work would really get done in this scenario, but just maybe. I like to think we are just emulating the Bush family. Not sure where we would go, but someplace cooler.
As it sits, every year we take at least a long weekend out of the heat.
62strat
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Goal: Leave Texas from June-October, returning for Nov-May

why is this the opposite of a snow bird?

Snow birds are in southern climates in winter, and northern climates in summer.

The opposite would mean to be in texas in the summer and colorado in the winter.
TikkaShooter
My bad. My parents always used snow birds to mean northerners who left at the first snow an "flew south" for the winter.

So in my mind, the opposite is fleeing north when the 90s hit in the south.
BSD
AG
TikkaShooter said:

My bad. My parents always used snow birds to mean northerners who left at the first snow an "flew south" for the winter.

So in my mind, the opposite is fleeing north when the 90s hit in the south.

Made sense to me since we're the permanent residents going the other direction to a vacation home. We go north, they go south.

And yes, that is my eventual goal.
lazuras_dc
AG
Aka winter Texan. Tons of em in south Texas
YDog
I posted this on the Outdoor board, but xposting here as we'll.

My wife and I are very interested in leaving during the summers, but haven't yet taken the plunge. However, after last summer, we are highly motivated to get the heck out of dodge between June-Sept.

Question: What type of protocols do you implement to handle things while you are away? For instance- do you turn the water off to the house, do you forward your mail to your vacation location, etc.

Any info/tips you can provide are greatly appreciated
94chem
dylan said:

We have looked for a place to buy or rent summers. It seems Olympic oeininsuka, Montana, Alaska, are so expensive. Western NC seems intriguing but I wouldn't be surprised that that is expensive as well. I love Cloudcroft but my wife hates high altitude.

So I guess that rules out Taos and Leadville...
94chem,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.