Voltage Adapter for Ireland/UK?

864 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by montegobay
TXCityAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I usually travel solo and only take adapters for my phone, iPad, etc., but I'm going on a trip with my family to Ireland, Scotland, and England next month. My mom is going to take her hair dryer and curling iron. I am assuming she will need a voltage adapter? If so, does anyone have insight as to what I need to be looking for?
HollywoodBQ
AG
Something like this should do the trick:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-all-in-one-travel-adapter-and-converter-with-2-usb-ports-black/6350841.p?skuId=6350841

lexofer
AG
Went through this with my wife last year. I found it cheaper/easier for her to just buy a travel hair dryer that could accept 110-240v.
Aggie71013
AG
I'd echo this. Even if they say they can handle the wattage of the hair dryer or curling iron I've still seen the devices fried using a converter. Also make sure they arent already compatible with 110-240 volts.
JMac03
AG
Yep I wouldn't take a blow dryer. I have curly hair and I bought a universal diffuser that fits on any blow dryer.
ATM9000
AG
As somebody who lives here now, my advice would be don't screw around with the voltage adapters. Half of them actually don't work and you end up shorting circuits out of ruining your appliance itself.
EMY92
AG
I bought this one when I went to Ireland in 2019, used it again in Ireland last year, and Nepal this year. I've had no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSBC5LM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Danger Mouse
AG
Would not bring any haircare electronics. High risk the circuitry will be fried using a converter. Easier to simply purchase them at your place of destination.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
montegobay
We just returned from the UK. All four hotels had hair dryers and my straightener worked fine with the regular plug adapter that I brought.
ATM9000
AG
montegobay said:

We just returned from the UK. All four hotels had hair dryers and my straightener worked fine with the regular plug adapter that I brought.

So your straightener was dual voltage then. Else you would have tripped all the electrical circuits wherever you were staying. Let OP a know what brand you used.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I have seen hotels with a US/Japanese plug in the bathroom. But they usually have a warning about drawing too many amps. Like - Shaver only not for use with a hair dryer.
ATM9000
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

I have seen hotels with a US/Japanese plug in the bathroom. But they usually have a warning about drawing too many amps. Like - Shaver only not for use with a hair dryer.

Yeah but I don't think you have to use adapters for those is the thing.
montegobay
The brand of the adapter was Tessan. I bought them on Amazon. My straightener is just the regular one I use at home all the time.
94chem
I thought everything these days was dual voltage. I never go anywhere with more than an adapter. Ukraine, S. Africa, China, W. Europe, Central Asia...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
ATM9000
AG
montegobay said:

The brand of the adapter was Tessan. I bought them on Amazon. My straightener is just the regular one I use at home all the time.

Did you use a plug adapter or an actual voltage converter?
montegobay
It is a plug adapter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.