Highland Pines

3,690 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Ezra Brooks
cjsag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Played today for second time.. really enjoy that course. Great condition and plenty of variety that makes you think. The greens are rocket fast with lots of break. It's somewhat mentally exhausting and you definitely need to pay attention to where you should leave lag putts and approach shots!

Anyone know if they will stay open to the public or are they moving to full private?

If you haven't checked out it, I definitely recommended it.

BRING MOSQUITO SPRAY!!!!?
GDP
I played it this spring after it opened. Fun golf course !

They have Zoysia fairways AND greens.

Well worth the green fee of $ 100 ish. I believe their management model is mid to high end public golf.
dcrewint
Since members are also members at AP and GP they'll probably remain public
aggie_wes
AG
Great course. Twilight rate is very reasonable too, I think it's $65.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
GDP said:

Well worth the green fee of $ 100 ish. I believe their management model is mid to high end public golf.

It was about $140 all in when I played.

Fun course but I'm cheap. That said there are some amazingly fun holes. Hitting a 3 wood from that 8/9 hole into the valley over water is pretty amazing for this being in Houston.

Definitely one of the top (not yet private) courses in Houston.

I think when the club house is done it will be a private club.
AustinCountyAg
how busy is it normally out there? brutal long rounds?
dcrewint
Unless they already declared it from the beginning I doubt it would become private.
cjsag94
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

how busy is it normally out there? brutal long rounds?

Course was full on Thursday and it took 4:10 to play. I think they do a good job of keeping it moving and I also think the price lends itself to members and avid golfers.
cjsag94
AG
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

GDP said:

Fun course but I'm cheap. That said there are some amazingly fun holes. Hitting a 3 wood from that 8/9 hole into the valley over water is pretty amazing for this being in Houston.

I think cheap golf is definitely on its way out in Houston.
E
AG
cjsag94 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

GDP said:

Yes... unfortunately

Only thing worth a damn under $80 is MP, Gus, The Wilderness, Cypresswood Cypress (when in good condition)

Wildcat, Blackhorse, High Meadow, Cypresswood Tradition all basically $100 or more
Mr.Bond
AG
E said:

cjsag94 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

GDP said:

Yes... unfortunately

Only thing worth a damn under $80 is MP, Gus, The Wilderness, Cypresswood Cypress (when in good condition)

Wildcat, Blackhorse, High Meadow, Cypresswood Tradition all basically $100 or more

Shiiiiiiit MP is $140 for me. Pass

Gus is by far the GOAT for public golf in houston now
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

C ROC N
Just played the course yesterday morning for the first time. Beautiful layout with elevation changes. Greens are a challenge running around a 12 to 13 very fast. I was hitting wedges with tons of spin all day right below the hole and not a one would stop. Pin position 1 had a lot of pins on the front edges of greens. Expect some long putts downhill due to the huge green sizes. Some very tight holes off the tee and some open. It's definitely going up to the top of my list once the greens mature. For only $120 on a Saturday morning that's a great course and a bargain! Pace of play, started at 8:17 and finished at 12:23 so 4hrs + or -. I will try to post some pictures when I get time but I have to be on my way to Sunday school. God bless you and your walk with the Lord!
E
AG
E said:

cjsag94 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

GDP said:

Yes... unfortunately

I played Tradition yesterday and although the course was in fantastic condition, the pace of play was unbearable.

We had a 8:36 tee time and didn't get off til 8:45 cause they were already behind. Didn't finish til after 1:30.

I spoke with the Marshall twice about speeding up the groups ahead of us and he said they were only a couple mins behind pace. Asked what pace was and he said 4:30…. we had 3 groups waiting on the 11 par 3 tee box.

We are done with Cypresswood. You know you're pace is the worst when you're slower than Gus or MP.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
cjsag94 said:

Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

GDP said:

Unfortunately I feel you are right. I'm honestly looking to join a club here next year of work cooperates.

Sick of playing **** courses with cracks in the fairways and awful greens for $75 a round.

I play enough personally and for work that I may as well join Riverbend or something like that.
bigfooticus
Course is underwater, surreal looking down the first hole from first tee box, water level is equal to the 2nd tee box set
Poot
bigfooticus said:

Course is underwater, surreal looking down the first hole from first tee box, water level is equal to the 2nd tee box set

Do you have any pics? I was curious how this would go when there was a flood event.
Lonestarandi
AG
There's video in the comments of this post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/805525019580273/permalink/3177475645718520/?mibextid=W9rl1R
E
AG

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Damn

Floodplains make great golf courses, but…
Mr.Bond
AG
Just awful. Love that course but knew this was always inevitable given the location
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Poot
Thanks for the pic, bummer. But yes, this was always a possibility/probability. I'll be curious how it recovers.
El Sucio
Maybe all that water will make the greens softer
AgLA06
AG
I don't believe this is the first time they've flooded.

Ezra Brooks
AG
Hopefully they planned at least a little for this....it's obvious it was going to happen.

After Tax Day and Memorial Day floods followed by Harvey, Kingwood CC put in the effort to raise a lot of their sprinkler controls to minimize the chance of them going underwater.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.