Better fields in tournaments

1,376 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Aggie369
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Could the PGA do something like put a requirement that every player in tour had to play every tourney on tour in a 2 or 3 year span? I think it would cause there to be better fields at all tournaments and would draw more attention to each week
Aggie369
AG
They do this by rotating the elevated events
AgBQ-00
AG
How often do they rotate through? Honest question. I don't remember the last time either of the metroplex tournaments attracted really strong fields.
JCA1
AG
This is the tradeoff for the elevated events. The top guys now play largely the same schedules. But the non-elevated events are going to struggle to attract the better players.
Aggie369
AG
Well we have only had 1 year of elevated events. Some events will always be elevated I believe like the memorial @ muirfield
wildmen09
AG
And The Players. Does The Tournament of Champions count too? There just isn't room to have a ton of elevated events
_lefraud_
AG
The DFW events took a hit when the PGAT fell in love with the Wells Fargo, add the PGA moving to May, it's just a terrible spot for both the Nelson and Colonial.
Aggie369
AG
And when they dropped TPC and all the players/wives hated to leave and then colonial lost its sponsor
cb1919
AG
The PGA Tour just needs to start fresh.....

- You don't need a tournament virtually every week. There should be 15-20 events (including majors). All the other events can blend in with the Korn Ferry.
- 75ish tour cards. If you don't have one, you don't play in a PGA event.
- Players should play every week, outside of injuries. Structure the Fed-Ex cup to where its virtually impossible to win without playing in every event if you have to.

cab559
AG
cb1919 said:

- You don't need a tournament virtually every week. There should be 15-20 events (including majors). All the other events can blend in with the Korn Ferry.
- Players should play every week, outside of injuries. Structure the Fed-Ex cup to where its virtually impossible to win without playing in every event if you have to.

So, like LIV?
cb1919
AG
cab559 said:

cb1919 said:

So, like LIV?

No, like real golf tournaments. Not hit and giggles.

That is (partially) sarcastic, but LIV certainly has gotten a few things right. Mainly, players on the PGA Tour should play a PGA Tour schedule. Could you imagine if the NFL played 45 games a year, but Patrick Mahomes picked his schedule and played only 20 weeks a year?

I don't really have a hard stance on the number of tour cards there should be, but I do firmly believe that you should have to have one to play in the events and it should be easier to lose it.
AgLA06
AG
cb1919 said:

cab559 said:

cb1919 said:

So, like LIV?

No, like real golf tournaments. Not hit and giggles.

That is (partially) sarcastic, but LIV certainly has gotten a few things right. Mainly, players on the PGA Tour should play a PGA Tour schedule. Could you imagine if the NFL played 45 games a year, but Patrick Mahomes picked his schedule and played only 20 weeks a year?

I don't really have a hard stance on the number of tour cards there should be, but I do firmly believe that you should have to have one to play in the events and it should be easier to lose it.
There's currently 36 PGAT events.

To me this is a lot like all the worthless college football bowl games that shouldn't exist.

Cut it down to 20 plus the majors and do a better job of scheduling events in bunches by region similar to the West Coast, Florida, and Texas swings we already have. It should allow for scheduling some bye weeks and holidays.

Keep the rest and combine it with the Korn Ferry in the name of charity for those towns and growing the game. Do something similar to soccer with relegation (both from a player and a tournament perspective).
boy09
AG
I'd still rather watch any "lesser" PGAT event, like this past weekend, than anything LIV is putting out. It's just really tough to care about LIV. It doesn't feel like there are any stakes, it's just exhibition golf.
gravy97
AG
I enjoy watching the big name guys compete. I went through the whole PGA tour leaderboard for this week and about the biggest name was Zach Johnson (and who likes that guy?). Jason Day was on there, but near the bottom so he was probably done before tv coverage even began. The LIV event this week had Cam Smith trying to chase down Brooks Koepka.... so thats where my golf eye balls were this weekend.

I'm not sure what needs to be on the line. Is it b/c the LIV guys got paid big money, so the money on the line doesn't matter... All the big name guys have millions (and don't look now but the PGA is paying out millions to the top guys too)... so the money doesn't "matter" to guys on either side in terms of affording their private jet to fly home, they all want to win to win.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I've posted this at length before and don't feel like writing it all out again, so ill say it succinctly. There is nothing at stake for the Liv guys because (1) they all got paid big money and (2) there is no sort of relegation system. Number 2 is more important than number 1.

On the pga tour, something is always on the line. You must keep your card (if you haven't already earned certain exemptions) or you are going down to a lower tour. And if you make the tour, a win or some good finishes literally guarantees that you can stick around for another year or two and not have to be relegated. And it's fun watching a no name have he chance at life changing money (and locking up his card for the next year or two). I thought the finish yesterday was fun to watch for that reason, even though the field was definitely trash.

If Liv simply input some sort of relegation, where the bottom 15-20 players would be relegated each year or something like that, it would make it more interesting. But still wouldn't be as interesting as the pga tour in my opinion.
cb1919
AG
It's a fun exercise to put together that schedule. To me, 20 tournaments feels right.

The obvious ones I think you keep….

Masters
US Open
PGA Championship
The Open
Scottish Open
Pebble (more on that later)
Genesis
Phoenix
The Players
The Sentry

Some wants….

I would love to see match play back at Austin Country Club. I love the format and think that course is perfect for it.

I would love Pinehurst on the annual should schedule.

4-5 rotating local events. I'll use Valero because I'm in SA. You can have it on the calendar every year for the lower tier of the tour, but it would add a lot of juice locally if every 2-3 years the PGA Tour comes through to the event.

Playoffs….

2-3 playoff events for a tour champion

I think the championship should be held at Pebble. Prime time and your most recognized course not named Augusta.

I think that gives me 18-20 events for the year
wildmen09
AG
cb1919 said:

It's a fun exercise to put together that schedule. To me, 20 tournaments feels right.

The obvious ones I think you keep….

Masters
US Open
PGA Championship
The Open
Scottish Open
Pebble (more on that later)
Genesis
Phoenix
The Players
The Sentry

Some wants….

I would love to see match play back at Austin Country Club. I love the format and think that course is perfect for it.

I would love Pinehurst on the annual should schedule.

4-5 rotating local events. I'll use Valero because I'm in SA. You can have it on the calendar every year for the lower tier of the tour, but it would add a lot of juice locally if every 2-3 years the PGA Tour comes through to the event.

Playoffs….

2-3 playoff events for a tour champion

I think the championship should be held at Pebble. Prime time and your most recognized course not named Augusta.

I think that gives me 18-20 events for the year

Agreed on the Fed Ex Cup Championship. Why is it at East Lake?
Aggie369
AG
They do have relegation they were/are just waiting to get full teams for year 1.

Relegation was always in the plan. If that changed then that's dumb but it was supposed to be a formula 1 set up
Poot
Formula 1 doesn't have relegation, does it? I know European soccer leagues, but not F1. (Though the drivers change often, it's not "relegation")
mavsfan4ever
AG
I've never heard a plan set forth for relegation. I've heard it mentioned before but I don't think Liv has ever said they are definitely doing it and have never heard them come out with any sort of plan. Relegation would fly in the face of them giving out guaranteed money so I doubt they do it. What happens if they give guaranteed money to someone who gets relegated?.

I don't think formula 1 has relegation (could be wrong bc I don't follow). It would need to be like English soccer style relegation.
Aggie369
AG
I know F1 comparisons for teams were being owned by outside entities was the goal, I thought F1 had relegation as well with F2. Maybe not....I don't follow F1 or soccer

Relegation was always in the plan according the guys I heard from who either went LIV or negotiated with LIV. Bottom guys from each team could be relegated down and top performers could come up.

Some of the bigger name guys that left PGAT got equity stakes in their team. If LIV was going to be successful and the teams were to be purchased by outside entities/sponsors there was a lot of money to be made for those players.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.