Home Improvement
Sponsored by

School Room Built-ins

5,764 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by BenTheGoodAg
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lot of updates from the last week:

I stepped through the ceiling in this room last year. At the time, I patched the hole, but didn't texture or paint. The can lights in this room were also different than the ones in the rest of the house, and they cast a very different shadow on the ceiling than the rest of the house, so I swapped them out and finally textured. Someone (Underoos, I think) recommended a texture sponge, and it made this much easier than a spray can/hopper.

I had to pull the crown off, which pulled a lot of caulk, revealing a different color, so the whole ceiling needs to be repainted. The walls have a lot of marks, so they'll also need to be repainted. Got the crown reinstalled, as well as most of the trim for the shelves, so now I can cut the front fluted pieces to size. I'll start painting tomorrow.

I've also been working to set up the computers for this room. Bought a couple of small form factor PCs. They sell brackets to mount them to the back of the monitor, but they're $40 a pop. So I came up with a 3D printed version that let's me mount them to the shelf tracks instead. This is just a prototype for sizing. I'll print the final one in black and PETG:

And finally, got the holes drilled for the power in the granite on each side.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Almost done:

Painting done. Got the front trim stained and installed and I'm really happy with the joints and final appearance.

Wrapped up today by cutting/sanding the scribe molding and caps/bases for the fluted trim. I don't think Red Oak was a good candidate for this profile, but this profile is what I have in my house, and I cut some extra and will use the best bits. I can't believe how pricey stain grade scribe molds are, so glad to save a little money with some of the extra oak I had leftover.

Next step is to stain/poly, get these installed and putty it up.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Finished! I really like how this turned out:

Here's a nice before & after:

And a nice comparison to some of the other trim in the house:

Overall, fun project. It was challenging to install a piece of granite sandwiched in the middle like that, but glad I took the time to do it.

ETA - glad I went with straight, txag2008

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.