Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Ceiling Fan w/ Remote vs. Wall Switches

1,596 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Tube
Tom Cardy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Replacing an existing fan/light in the house. Currently, the fan and light each have their own wall switch and a pull chain to control speed on the fan.

New fan (fan link) has a remote with a receiver that needs to be wired in during install. While the new fan/light has the same wiring setup, there is no onboard control for fan speed except for the remote. My issue is that installing the remote functionality means I have to go to one wall switch and then use the remote for all functionality.

Is there any way around this? Happy to post wiring setups if needed. The fan manual specifically says to not use a dimmer or variable speed switch with it, fwiw.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Buy a fan without a controller is the easiest option
agnerd
AG
You might be able to use a 3 speed wall switch and bypass the remote.

1. Wire in the remote to the ceiling but not the fan/light.
2. Turn the switch on and check the watts going to the fan at high, medium, and low speeds (toggle with the remote).
3. install a 3 speed wall switch and check the watts it sends out for high, medium, and low.
4. If the switch isn't putting out more watts than the remote box, bypass the box and wire the fan and light directly to the switches.
Tom Cardy
AG
That's what I figured, finding a wall switch with proper wattage might be a pain
Whoop Delecto
AG
TxAgg07
AG
Check what accessories are available to purchase with the model you are looking into. Some manufacturers also sell wall switches that are essentially tiny little remotes that fit into your standard electrical box. Will have same function as the remote but in a smaller size.
will.mcg
AG
Can't you leave the wall switch on all the time & use the remote to turn the fan and or light on & off as well as control speed?
sanitariex
AG
I did this and got rid of the remotes.
Tom Cardy
AG
updating this in case anyone stumbles across it in the future.

I ended up direct wiring the light to the #1 wall switch and capping that part of the remote receiver. Keeping the fan on the remote for speed control, because I decided that my need to change the fan speed is very low.
Tube
I have a similar situation. My question is regarding the fan controller. The output from the remote module (that I would like to remove) for the fan has red, black, and white wires. Does anyone know what these wires are? My first guess is red and black are both hot, but one might be for reversing the fan direction? If so I would need to identify which one spins the fan to blow down and cap the other. White neutral.

Ultimate goal is to wire the fan to an existing 3 speed switch and the light to another switch.

There is a separate white/black pair from the module for the lights so I'm really just trying to identify the purpose of the fan wires.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.