Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Land clearing and mulch

1,118 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Medaggie
Medaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would love some opinions and if someone has done this. I have a home that I am clearing a bunch of oak/cedar in the back using a land clearing machine with a mulch attachment. They just started today and the back will be covered with mulch. My wife wants to get rid of the mulch bc she doesn't want the back to be "squishy". It looks good to me so trying to find a good reason to keep the mulch plus decreases constant grass cutting and upkeep. Area being cleared is about 1.5 acres. Under the mulch is grass

1. Any great benefits in keeping the mulch such as better for the land, keeping insects/animals away?
2. If we get rid of the mulch, what is the best option? Would getting a bobcat to make a large pile and letting people come get it for free; would people want to get free mulch this way? I can get someone to come and just dump it too.

Photo link
Gary79Ag
AG
aka The Lavaca County Legend
tgivaughn
AG
Neighbor football coach did this on 5ac & mucl stayed & benefited him & all that got runoff.

Make a deal with wife: phone Skip Richter noon Thursdays KAMU-FM 90.9 and whateveer HE says you BOTH agree to do it

https://kamu.tamu.edu/radio/radio-programs/garden-success/
IMHO and am sticking to it
JP76
With enough rain it will usually break down/ rot in about a year if you leave it. Cedar may take a little longer.
AggieStan
Grass will be up in year or so. Then you will be mowing over mulch
Sea Speed
AG
How do you even get the mulch up efficiently? I'm about to grind 20 stumps and I am not looking forward to there being giant mulch pulls all over the property.
Medaggie
I had someone come with a bobcat and spread it around the yard.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.