Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Home AC not working

917 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Ribeye-Rare
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Came home and house was warm. Air was just cool out of the vents while the AC was kicked on. We've outside and the outside unit fan wasn't spinning and the pipe was obviously warm to the touch and not sweating.

Turned unit off and waited 30 minutes. Turned thermostat back on and went outside to wait and watch the condenser unit outside. I heard and saw the fan click on and start to spin and then it immediately turned off.

Thoughts?
aggie_wes
AG
Probably low pressure. There are safeguards to keep the compressor from burning up. My guess is a coolant leak.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Blown Capacitor? They're easy to check for a bulging top. Just don't touch the leads.
FDXAg
AG
aggie_wes said:

Probably low pressure. There are safeguards to keep the compressor from burning up. My guess is a coolant leak.

That would suck. This unit had that issue 2 years ago and I was told they discovered it was low on Freon and leaking from a connection point in the line. $700 and 4lbs of Freon and all was well.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Since the condenser fan starts but then cuts out, it might be a couple of things other than a low refrigerant condition that triggers a shut-down sensor.

1. Failing capacitor - causes fan to draw too much current and that trips the fan's internal overload
- replace capacitor (cheap fix)

2. Failing fan -- bearings will begin to drag and once again cause fan to trip out on its internal overload
- replace fan motor (semi-cheap fix)

3. Failing contactor -- contact points pit and burn and no longer provide low-resistance (or any) current path to both fan and condensor
- replace contactor (cheap fix)

If a coolant leak -- ask the 'tech' to find the damn leak and repair it. Unfortunately, some of these guys make easy money by doing the 'gas and go' method, and it sounds like they charged you plenty last time just to re-charge.

BTW, HVAC companies are having a helluva time getting and keeping competent help. As a result, some marginal guys are being put in trucks and sent out.

Good luck.
TruService HVAC
Sponsor
Did you happen to hear if the compressor came on too or just the fan?

Depending on the age and model of the unit it could be a capacitor which is an easy fix or it could be a bad motor especially if it's low voltage commutated.

Best thing to do is visually inspect the capacitor and if the lid looks swollen or dome shaped then you likely found your culprit.
It could also be refrigerant being low and such but a lot of times after storms and such we find a lot of bad capacitors.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Cromagnum
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Blown Capacitor? They're easy to check for a bulging top. Just don't touch the leads.

Fan usually doesn't kick on at all if it's a capacitor. OP said fan came on, but then shut off.
FDXAg
AG
Unit was replaced in 2017, so it's not that old. I'm definitely going with a different company this time then the one 2 years ago that charged me for freon for sure. I can remember at the time he said he actually found and fixed the leak.

To answer sometimes question, I'm honestly not sure if the compressor kicked on when I was outside. I almost want to say it didn't. When the fan wasn't spinning or when it turned on and immediately turned back off, the unit was silent.

We did have really bad storms with bad lightning a few days ago. Not sure if that's related. AC has been working fine though and was working when we left the house last night for a function at my daughter's school. Came back and immediately noticed the house felt warmer. Could tell the air coming out of the vents was just "barely cool" when the thermostat was showing the AC was on.
FDXAg
AG
Of possibly greater concern, when I was up in the attic I noticed this burned area where the gas furnace meets the start of the ductwork. Almost looks like fire damage?? Could this have been from a lightning strike?? We've had some bad storms in the last few weeks with lightning but when I looked up at the area above this in the attic, I didn't immediately notice a hole or damage in the roof. It was night though, so it's possible I didn't notice something. We've also had probably 2 to 3 inches of rain in the last week or so, so I'd think I would have pretty significant water damage around this area but I didn't see anything noticeable. There are lots of black charred fragments everywhere as you can kind of see in the picture on top of the furnace

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I'm having to call an HVAC company out so they can look at this area as well. I don't like the look of it at all.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Cromagnum said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

Fan usually doesn't kick on at all if it's a capacitor. OP said fan came on, but then shut off.

Not true of all units, capacitor can be bad and fan runs
TruService HVAC
Sponsor
Is the black insulated pipe just out of the frame the refrigerant line that goes to the outdoor unit? If so I would say the burn mark was a result of when they were installing the coil and the torch got pointed the wrong way.

Historically when I've seen units struck by lightning it's the flue pipe through the roof that gets hit, the unit will not run at all inside or out and you'll find burn marks in the unit where the ground wire connects or behind the circuit board after removal. I'm guessing that's a Goodman or Amana system as they had a coil that the refrigerant lines came out of the top (assuming that photo was the top).

I'm going to lean toward a capacitor being bad but my advice is worth what you paid.

Good luck!

FDXAg said:

Of possibly greater concern, when I was up in the attic I noticed this burned area where the gas furnace meets the start of the ductwork. Almost looks like fire damage?? Could this have been from a lightning strike?? We've had some bad storms in the last few weeks with lightning but when I looked up at the area above this in the attic, I didn't immediately notice a hole or damage in the roof. It was night though, so it's possible I didn't notice something. We've also had probably 2 to 3 inches of rain in the last week or so, so I'd think I would have pretty significant water damage around this area but I didn't see anything noticeable. There are lots of black charred fragments everywhere as you can kind of see in the picture on top of the furnace

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I'm having to call an HVAC company out so they can look at this area as well. I don't like the look of it at all.

FDXAg
AG
Yes that's the refrigerated line I believe. It has that wrapped pipe plus a thin copperlooking pipe next to it that follows exactly next to it.

Only thing that bothers me is I don't believe this looked this way when I was up here months ago. The gas furnace is the original unit to the house and I've been up here numerous times and pretty sure I would have noticed this burn mark before.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Quote:

If so I would say the burn mark was a result of when they were installing the coil and the torch got pointed the wrong way.
Agreed. I've heard it happens even in the best of families.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.