Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Carpet Upstairs?

698 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Chase
maroon10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Suburban two-story home...What is the census on replacing 20-year-old carpet with new carpet? Our contractor that has done other home upgrades for us says to do LVP and that is where all his customers are trending. We asked if this would be loud downstairs (3 kids) and he said not if we get a good pad. Thoughts on this? I love the idea of no stain flooring, less allergies but I've just always known carpet to be in bedrooms, especially for kids. Currently have carpet on our stairs as well.
The System
AG
I think it depends on the setup. Our stairs lead to an open loft/gameroom upstairs. We put new carpet there because it would help with sound. And since we were replacing it there, we went ahead and did the bedrooms (3) up there as well.

However, we did remove the carpet from the stairs for aesthetics, and replaced with new wood stained to match the banister
tgivaughn
AG
Although he's correct he's not so correct in the sound transmission dept as HD Karastan carpet & top-o-line pad would be The Answer.

Family Allergies that beg shots forever now GONE due to Karastan top quality & pad that began decades ago. Watch for the annual sales and don't dally.

If you buy a Miele or Riccar self-propelled, the cleanup will be EZier than hard floors and air cleaner b/c carpet catches the dust/etc and hard floors allow it to blow about or form dust buddies, dust on everything.

IMHO and am sticking to it
Texker
AG
You might consider carpet tiles. They are incredibly durable, but If one gets jacked up then just replace that piece. We installed them in our arcade 4.5 years ago.
Chase
AG
maroon10 said:

Suburban two-story home...What is the census on replacing 20-year-old carpet with new carpet? Our contractor that has done other home upgrades for us says to do LVP and that is where all his customers are trending. We asked if this would be loud downstairs (3 kids) and he said not if we get a good pad. Thoughts on this? I love the idea of no stain flooring, less allergies but I've just always known carpet to be in bedrooms, especially for kids. Currently have carpet on our stairs as well.
This is a tough one, right?

We have carpet that HAS TO be replaced soon and we love our bamboo floating floors but they get dirty as hell and it isn't as comfortable on the feet, especially in Winter. The pets/allergy thing with carpet is also a temptation to get rid of it.

Lately, we've been contemplating doing wood or tile and then getting large rugs for the bedrooms. I don't know that that is where we end up but that's the current leading thought.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.