Fundamental changes to Corps structure.

20,582 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by inconvenient truth
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any updates??
n1mr0d
Kiss your black belts good bye. Corps now going to brown belts and low quarters in another blow to tradition by current regime.

A parent that attended a recent virtual meeting told me to expect michalis' FOW plan to be released this week. He's hell bent on dismantling the Aggie Corps for a generic, woke ROTC organization.
merkman03
AG
current cadet. heard he was a staff rat, don't think he was in any special units
74OA
AG
nm
Aggie Therapist
AG
n1mr0d said:

Kiss your black belts good bye. Corps now going to brown belts and low quarters in another blow to tradition by current regime.

A parent that attended a recent virtual meeting told me to expect michalis' FOW plan to be released this week. He's hell bent on dismantling the Aggie Corps for a generic, woke ROTC organization.

Any update to this???
merkman03
AG
Yes. I'm cadre for this upcoming FOW. Going to be interesting. Cadre will be trained on specific modules (drill, pt, room standards, uniform standards, etc) and teach that module to every outfit in your minor unit (3-4 outfits). The only cadets that will stay with the outfit will be the command team and Guidon. Only two pissheads allowed per outfit (including guidon).

Unfortunately this just sounds like a middle-ground plan to the Commandants original plan and I'm worried that if it goes well this year, he will push further towards his original agenda in the future.

Aggie Therapist
AG
Only Two pissheads for FOW week or the entire semester?
AGhistorian
I actually really like the Commandant's plan. I think it long time that the Corps revamp how it does leader development. His plan actually has objectives, and provides a better mechanism to actually ensure that cadets are getting a productive leader development experience. As many folks know the quality of outfits ebbs and flows with time and personalities, some people have a great experience because of a few great people. I worked on the commandants staff many years ago, and there were a lot of outfit where the blind were leading the blind. So to me it seems like putting a structure in place to ensure a common minimum standard of leadership and training is perfectly reasonable.

I'm always so surprised at how enslaved so many people are to what they claim is "tradition." We should be inspired by tradition not anchored to it. I can honestly say the Corps today is getting better outcomes for cadets than it was when I was a cadet, their grades are higher, more students are commissioning. Those are the types of metrics that matter to me.

(as an aside labeling anything you don't agree with as "woke" is completely intellectually bankrupt and totally unproductive)
OldArmyCT
AG
If the goal is to increase the size of the Corps and retention of fish and it is reached by lowering standards then what's the point? Why not just turn the Corps into a weekend event where any student that wants to can put on a uniform, march around campus and then block in Kyle Field, the rest of the week just walk around like all the other non-regs. That certainly would look the same to the casual weekend observer. It's like lowering the standards in Ranger School to increase the number of graduates. Sure, commissioning is up but is the quality? I went thru Army helicopter school in 1968, about 20% of my class washed out and there was a definite need for pilots back then. I was an IP in 1980 and the standards weren't lowered at all, the only discernible difference to me was how hard it was to wash out female trainees. But they didn't lower the standards, they just gave them more chances. IMO the Corps has made giant strides but the one thing that should remain constant is pride in your outfit. If you miss that your fish year, well, you miss something important.
Aggie Therapist
AG
I'm a major now.

I think the corps was good for teaching young men and women how to socialize and work with others as a team and develop friendships. Beyond PT, I don't think the corps was anything like the Army is. At least our 2LTs that commission out of A&M aren't total goofballs like I saw from west pointers
bigtruckguy3500
n1mr0d said:

You know what as a real tradition? Looking sharp in uniform. Pretty sure Aggies invented the suck strap. Now you've at least got shirt stays to be more comfortable. Just one example.

BQRyno
AG
Shirt stays were an absolute godsend compared to a suck strap!
Aggie Therapist
AG
HEY TUBA FISH!
JABQ04
AG
I guess I never really had a problem with the suck strap. Hell, I still have mine somewhere in my closest. I even tried a few times on active duty, but I only dressed up to go to balls and I was gonna get sloppy anyway so I stopped.
Aggie Therapist
AG
I love me some balls.

I remember being a 2LT then seeing my battalion commander pull out some steel reserves from his personal cooler
JABQ04
AG
I was enlisted so had more freedom with the debauchery. I did kiss my BN XO his bald ass head at the my last St Barbara's Ball.
inconvenient truth
Aggie Therapist said:

I love me some balls.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.