Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,028,870 Views | 40455 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by LPHA
ConfidentAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I ALSO love Hispanics
AgDev01
AG
Was watching some whiskeytube and got to thinking, how much do you care about how your whiskey is crafted?

If you could go buy a TW house brand bottle for $35 that tasted just like GTS but was artificially aged or had flavoring or other additives, would you?

Is the value of the bottle just end product or the story that goes along with it?

Would you buy a 13th colony double oak at retail if it was proven there was some shenanigans behind it?

For me i don't think i would care as long as the product was good and they were up front about it.
ConfidentAg
AG
I would care.

I don't know why but I would.

My stupid monkey brain I guess.
Shaggie 05
AG
I would also care. There is something awesome about the natural process and what some are able to do.

Add in chemicals and flavors and it's no longer an art, it's cheapened. And why there is such a push for additive free tequila these days.
AgDev01
AG
both valid points. Im thinking about it in the commodity sense. If i could get a GTS clone for 40 bucks then that becomes the daily and i see it in the same vein as any other cheap bottle. would i reach for the fake stuff or the OF100?

I think the end result is that the real thing becomes all that more special because it is "real" that and i'd certainly never buy a pour from an opened bottle.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Real or fake, I'm down for either
AgDev01
AG
we still talking about whiskey?
Aggie Therapist
AG
AgDev01 said:

we still talking about whiskey?

I don't mind chemicals and lost art.

As you said, I just want the same end result and satisfaction.
jackie childs
bmc13
AG
artificial aging via ultrasonic or controlled temp cycling I don't mind. not sure I'm a fan of using external additives, though.
Aggie Therapist
AG
I'll be living in a tent for the next couple weeks and out of pocket. Please bring any TexAgs pick related questions or concerns to srob2004.

srob2004
AG
I will be your huckleberry
ConfidentAg
AG
bmc13 said:

artificial aging via ultrasonic or controlled temp cycling I don't mind. not sure I'm a fan of using external additives, though.

Yeah I wouldn't mind that at all.

As long as the ingredients didn't change
AgDev01
AG
bmc13 said:

What is the line to consider an external additive?

The thing that prompted my question is these "infusion spirals" that are designed to be dropping in a barrel and add a finish to it.

Quote:

Now is the time for distillers to think outside the barrel when it comes to aging alternatives for their spirits. By utilizing Infusion Spirals from The Barrel Mill, you'll experience savings in cost, labor, and time while experimenting with new woods and toasts to get truly oneofakind spirits.

Whether you're trying a small sampling with our Bottle Spirals or conducting larger trials with our popular 8" Carboys and large-volume Tank Packs, the end result will be top-notch.
https://thebarrelmill.com/infusion-spirals/infusion-spirals-spirits/

I have a hard time differentiating between this and someone just dumping in a concentrate into the barrel.

I do think there is a distinction with this method and MM who replace the actual staves to my knowledge.

Again as long as they are transparent i don't think i would care but i do think it goes to show we should demand more transparency on the labels these days because the game has changed.
AlaskanAg99
AG
In my opinion there's a huge difference of adding flavorings in chemical form to a barrel vs adding different toasts and chars from an actual wood product.

Adding staves or spirals to a spirit is not the same as adding chemical additives.
Aggie Therapist
AG
I also ask that no one here drink for the next two weeks.

Thanks.
Jethro95
AG
AugustusGloop
AG
I will if you actually do dry Jan with me next year…Mr. Moist.
trouble
AG
Bless your heart
h_town_ags
Ended up getting lucky this morning and grabbed two tickets for me and the wife to Buffalo Trace for the Distiller's Dinner Series (William LaRue Weller) for their July event!

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/events/upcoming/distillers-dinner-weller.html
ConfidentAg
AG
That's super cool.
ryeguy
I went to the EH Taylor Dinner. It was great. Walked away with a Single Barrel pick. You'll probably walk away with an OWA pick.
h_town_ags
I tried getting tickets to that event but failed. I'm hoping for OWA vs W12
FireJimbonow
Is Larceny barrel proof easily findable these days? What's MSRP and what's secondary pricing for it?
Hornbeck
Hell, I don't do Dry January. Why would I give up 2 weeks for?
HouseDivided06
AG
Depends on if it has dropped recently or not. Back about 6-8 weeks ago, I saw it basically any time I went into TW for a good 2-3 weeks. Haven't seen it since. I believe it drops 3 times a year or so, similar to ECBP. Retail should be about $65-$75.
ConfidentAg
AG
FireJimbonow said:

Is Larceny barrel proof easily findable these days? What's MSRP and what's secondary pricing for it?

Got it at Costco for $55 and I have seen it at multiple other stores.
LPHA
AG
Maker's Mark doesn't actually replace staves. They have a bar that hangs across the top of the barrel that the 10 staves hang from
AGdent07
AG
FireJimbonow said:

Passed it up today. Where are you located?
FireJimbonow
Houston, but have friends in Austin and Dallas visiting soon that can grab it if there.
AgDev01
AG
interesting. thanks for the info.
LPHA
AG
Their barrel picking experience is one of the coolest ones that I've been a part of
First Page Refresh
Page 1156 of 1156

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.