Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,579 Views | 3171 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by JCRiley09
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I also had it for lunch. I was pleasantly surprised. Not mind blowing, but a solid spot out in Kingwood.

Bulldog73
AG
I do appreciate the humor, but I'd give it a try if I was in the neighborhood.
DiskoTroop
CDub06 said:

I also had it for lunch. I was pleasantly surprised. Not mind blowing, but a solid spot out in Kingwood.

Glad to hear it! I'm not a huge fan of the Cajun rice. I had moist brisket, baked beans, squash casserole and spoon bread today. If you try it again, those sides are fantastic. Spoonbread's more a compliment than a side I'd say but they sell it as a side. It's real good though so I'll let it pass.

They ran out of their cheesy cauliflower before we got there… :-/

ETA: and I see I already listed what I had in the first post today. I'm getting old folks…
DiskoTroop
Bulldog73 said:

I do appreciate the humor, but I'd give it a try if I was in the neighborhood.

Yep and that's that attitude I've taken for it. I can appreciate the humor too but I'm not gonna feed into it.
RED AG 98
AG
Finally getting around to adding pics from Troubadour...

First up, the consensus least favorite bite of our group, barbaboa tacos and sausage from Vaqueros. Was the only thing I had all day that was pretty meh...

Smokey Joe's had a cool presentation and their tacos were on point.

Sausage from Brotherton's. It was very good.

Brisket from Blacks. This wins best bark and best seasoning.

Tri-tip and chimichurri from Kreuz. Very good.

One of the best things all day - Brick Vault brisket on loaded queso fries.

Brisket and chorizo sausage from Teddy's. I love chorizo but this wasn't working for me in the 90F heat. Wish I'd tried it earlier.

Really cool Asian fusion bite from Guess in Waco. Flap, basil, and sliced jalepeno. Really good.

Kielbasa from Interstellar. Good but not spectacular.

This is a horrible picture and doesn't do it justice, but this tray from Tejas won the best sampler of the day for us. Pork Belly is difficult to see but it was fantastic. Jalapeno sausage was great. The pumpkin(?) bread and mousse(?) were a nice touch after a ton of meats.

Texted my son because I'm missing pics of 3 of my favorites:
Smoke prime rib at Rosslers
Fried brisket at Meat Church
Brisket at Hutchins
rolling_ridgeag05
Tejas could have tried something different but the orange bite looks like their carrot souffle. One of the best sides/desserts out there.
RED AG 98
AG
Ah that would make sense. It was tasty. But we all thought it a bit muted compared to say pumpkin pie filling.
NColoradoAG
RED AG 98 said:

Ah that would make sense. It was tasty. But we all thought it a bit muted compared to say pumpkin pie filling.

I love that carrot souffle. I don't think it's supposed to be as heavy or spiced as pie. It's meant to be a side dish and not a dessert.

That also looks like their chile relleno sausage which I personally think is the best bite in all of texas bbq.
RED AG 98
AG
Roger that. We were very hot and fighting the meat sweats so while we started off asking a lot of questions, towards the end we were ready to be done.

However Tejas is 100% on our next list now.
NColoradoAG
RED AG 98 said:

Roger that. We were very hot and fighting the meat sweats so while we started off asking a lot of questions, towards the end we were ready to be done.

I hear that! Not sure about the weather this year, but I went last year on a VIP ticket. Weather was pretty mild all things considered, but I struggle down there with the humidity even if it's 80. Went hard and was done after the first 90 minutes.
RED AG 98
AG
NColoradoAG said:

RED AG 98 said:

I hear that! Not sure about the weather this year, but I went last year on a VIP ticket. Weather was pretty mild all things considered, but I struggle down there with the humidity even if it's 80. Went hard and was done after the first 90 minutes.
Hottest day of the summer so far. It was 90+ and still really humid from all the rain. It was ok in the shade but anywhere in the sun or near the pits was freaking hot.

We ended up taking an hour break in the MSC Cafe at 4PM when it was hottest and the samples ran dry.
flytxag
AG
I hope I didn't miss them, but was Snow's not there at the troubadour festival.
agfan2013
AG
I think it's always interesting to see how people have different tastes/preferences. I really liked the taco and sausage from Vaqueros BBQ. Thought the jalapeno cheese link from Brothertons was fairly plain, but was glad to see them there. I still think it's gotta be hard on them with John's passing and Bill Dumas moving over to Schultze (he was at Troubadour with Vaqueros and made the barbacoa sausage).

As a couple of guys above have already said, the Tejas plate was the chile relleno sausage which is fantastic and the carrot souffle is supposed to be more of a side than a dessert so its not as overpowering on the sweetness as you might expect going in. Fantastic side and I found a copycat recipe online last year that is pretty close that I've made at my house a few times. Tejas is a cool place with the sides and desserts, but outside of the sausage, I found their meat offerings to be fairly average.

As I said on my other post the meat church chicken fried brisket was a favorite in our group. I ended up not going by Daynes and getting the burger slider they were serving and really regret that, just one of the few we didnt make it to unfortunately.

Quote:

I hope I didn't miss them, but was Snow's not there at the troubadour festival.
They were not, we noticed that after the fact. I did see something about Kim Bexley's (co-owner) dad passing away so I believe it has something to do with that.
RED AG 98
AG
The slider from Dayne's was definitely legit. Really the only place we had to wait in line for a bit as they were cooking them fresh, plating and serving.
CowtownAg06
AG
I'd love a pic of the CF brisket if you get one.
RED AG 98
AG
Steak taco from Goodstock. Pretty good.

Slider from Daynes. Outstanding!

4 for 1, clockwise from the top left
- Meat Church Fried Brisket. Absolutely delicious.
- Rossler's Smoked Prime Rib with garlic butter. Truly truly outstanding.
- Blood Bros. I forgot
- Hutchins Brisket and jalapeno popper. The brisket was really good, #2 to Blacks which had a better bark and seasoning.
Project Gemini
AG
Is Peter's in Ellinger good or wait til Back Porch in La Grange? I need barbecue in that area on a drive today around lunch.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Peter's reminds me of Rudy's. Back Porch has more non-traditional bbq options, but meat is no more special than Peters. I'd skip both and just get a burger at Hruskas, IMO.
Project Gemini
AG
Thank you sir
Ol Jock 99
AG
Smokey Joe's in South Dallas remains criminally underrated.

Matsui
AG
Will add to my list
JCRiley09
AG
Finally made it to Dayne's new location in Aledo. No line at 1pm on a Thursday. Every bite was outstanding.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.