If we are done- how do you grade the portal haul?

21,103 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by GrayMatter
Eivets Rednow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aldo the Apache
MarcAg
AG

I honestly would love to see Payne his former teammate (#4 on the list) come here.

Moore is a great defender though. He would be defensive stopper off the bench when you have some PG lighting us up.
EastTX_Ag21
AG
I assume he used to play at Minnesota, and has there been any reporting of A&M reaching out?
MarcAg
AG
EastTX_Ag21 said:

I assume he used to play at Minnesota, and has there been any reporting of A&M reaching out?

He declared for the nba draft and entered the portal. These guys are predicting he goes back to Minnesota if he doesn't stay in the draft. And no, I haven't seen any mention of A&M for him
EastTX_Ag21
AG
MarcAg said:

EastTX_Ag21 said:

He declared for the nba draft and entered the portal. These guys are predicting he goes back to Minnesota if he doesn't stay in the draft. And no, I haven't seen any mention of A&M for him
Ah I gotcha, I was looking at #25 Shakeel Moore since they were predicting him to A&M
MarcAg
AG
EastTX_Ag21 said:

MarcAg said:

EastTX_Ag21 said:

Ah I gotcha, I was looking at #25 Shakeel Moore since they were predicting him to A&M

Moore has been mentioned with A&M.
Method Man
I like shakeel Moore. Wish he shot better .
Method Man
KK back to Arky?
The Marksman
AG
I would definitely take Moore
Know Your Enemy
AG
So where is this new commit Looch promised us?
carl spacklers hat
The Marksman said:

I would definitely take Moore
TWSS
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
halfastros81
AG
If we are done right now and we don't lose anyone to currently unforeseen circumstances I think we are more talented and have potential to be better than last yr. Jmo.

I hope Buzz can figure his rotations out earlier so that we don't lose games we shouldn't in noncon and early conference play. That has been an issue imo. He does seem to be a master at getting the team to peak in the 2nd half of conference play and that' s good but if they can avoid the earlier egg laying it would improve seeding and early round tourney matchups.

In essence , don't dig an early hole that you have to climb out of.
bobinator
AG
Not sure the rotation was a problem last year, we were doing just fine at the start of the year, we just hit some injuries and didn't deal with those (and the travel) particularly well for a few weeks.

The real "what are we doing here?" part of the season didn't come until a lot later.
halfastros81
AG
That's true but for instance getting Manny into the lineup was a supercharger and it didn't happen until late in the season. I can't remember if Manny had in season injuries or not to be honest.
bobinator
AG
No, he was just terrible for most of the year. Though based on some of his interviews it seems like something else might have been going on with him also, so who knows.

But unlike the few years before, we were actually pretty good out of the gates this year, winning at Ohio State and SMU, had the injuries against FAU but still kept it fairly close and then bounced back to beat Iowa State despite not having Coleman and Boots. We didn't play well against Virginia or Memphis but those were pretty good teams, especially Memphis at that time, and then we had that big comeback and had a chance against Houston.

Not saying Buzz did a masterful job last year or anything, but it wasn't exactly the same formula as the years before that, we didn't lose to anyone bad until January.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Manny had several opportunities throughout the season that he did nothing with. For whatever reason he became a great player overnight. Thankfully he did but Buzz did nothing egregious with Manny's playing time during the first 3/4ths of the year.
Method Man
Portal Haul! Portal Haul-al! Portal Haul! Portal Haul-al-al-al-al-al...
halfastros81
AG
I thought he was playing like he was on a short leash and maybe he was and should have been. I just know once he was unleashed he made a huge difference .
Know Your Enemy
AG
Why "unleash" a player that is out of control and unable to finish at the rim?
MarcAg
AG
halfastros81 said:

I thought he was playing like he was on a short leash and maybe he was and should have been. I just know once he was unleashed he made a huge difference .

He had a 14 game stretch where he shot 20% from 2 point range. 7 of 35. Thats hard to do.

In that same stretch he shot 30.7% from the FT line. 8 of 26. That is also hard to do.

He wasn't playing more because he was absolutely horrible. It wasn't that oh if they had just given him the chance earlier. They gave him chances and he sucked. Buzz specifically said he was completely lost on defense too. Something just finally clicked for him. Hope it's still clicking next season.

Aldo the Apache
AG
iirc he had a really similar stretch the NIT year, by the end of the year/postseason he was a completely different player than in January/February
bobinator
AG
That year he actually had an injury right? That the same year?
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

That year he actually had an injury right? That the same year?
The year before this year he had an injury and wasn't the same player.

IIRC, Buzz alluded to Manny as having a confidence issue and that's why he couldn't make the simple play. Maybe Buzz used one of his many Jedi mind tricks to get Manny to play out of his mind. It's literally night and day and I would love to see game film to see where he started righting the ship and how he arrived to the Manny we know now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.