NIL ruining football but improving baseball?

3,646 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by TAMU1990
dcg4403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is amazing to see how much more MLB draft talent is going to college now that NIL is a pathway for these kids. Seems NCAA baseball is drastically benefiting as a sport. I am seeing all these big, athletic kids now taking the college route. Gavin Grahovac is THE perfect example as a predicted 55th MLB pick out of HS.

Why does there seem to be such a huge difference between the attitudes and desires of the NCAA football players vs baseball? Football players seem to be after the highest NIL bids. Regardless of the university. No allegiances whatsoever. All about the $$$$.

But baseball players seem to be very different. Taking NIL deals over MLB draft picks. Understanding the value of being developed into a highly competitive MLB player. And in college, they seem to be very committed to their university of choice.

Thoughts? Are baseball players simply higher IQ people that understand the bigger picture in life?
greg.w.h
AG
MLB reduced MiLB teams and reduced # of rounds in the draft…
powerbelly
AG
It could be many factors. The SEC baseball experience is much nicer than low A ball. Football players may be getting truly life changing nil money and come from lower income families on average than a college baseball player and they can afford to gamble on moving from the 55th pick to a top 10 pick.
themissinglink
AG
A lot more money flying around football. Being offered 6 - 7 figures feels life changing and can really change one's motivation.

Baseball player's are still splitting 11.7 scholarships. Being offered enough to cover the rest of school and have a little bit of spending money is a relief but it doesn't feel like the journey is done.
BQ_90
AG
Unlimited transfer portal is ruining college football not NIL
McInnis
AG
BQ_90 said:

True, but it's been pretty good for our baseball team this year huh?

dcg4403
AG
BQ_90 said:

I do agree with this statement as a big factor within NIL. Has to change 110%. But still doesnt really change the question as baseball players have the same options.

I thought that socioeconomic status also has a fairly significant impact.
greg.w.h
AG
dcg4403 said:

BQ_90 said:

I do agree with this statement as a big factor within NIL. Has to change 110%. But still doesnt really change the question as baseball players have the same options.

NCAA has to let students transfer because all coaches are free agents…
The Banned
dcg4403 said:

BQ_90 said:

Agree with the last part especially. Most families succeeding in baseball at this level have invested significant money into it. They understand the long game and have played it a long time already. What's another year or two?

Football is far more often a matter of someone with raw athletic talent getting just enough to get by until the new NIL rules. The big pay day matters a hell of a lot more than an unknown increase in draft status.
BQ_90
AG
dcg4403 said:

BQ_90 said:

Scholarship limits slow it all down in baseball. Although trap dooring kids and transfers have been more,ingrained in baseball than it has in football. Again scholarship limits impact college baseball so much more than football and MBB
12thMan9
AG
powerbelly said:

It could be many factors. The SEC baseball experience is much nicer than low A ball. Football players may be getting truly life changing nil money and come from lower income families on average than a college baseball player and they can afford to gamble on moving from the 55th pick to a top 10 pick.
None of what you say is true.
Ronnie '88
powerbelly
AG
12thMan9 said:

powerbelly said:

Okay
BQ_90
AG
12thMan9 said:

powerbelly said:

Childress or one of is coaches gave a presentation during dugout club, of course this was pre NIL, showing how going to college was improving draft position. Also said that SEC schools facilities are better than lower level pro ball. Travel better, player facilities better and of course college life is better. NIL only makes college more attractive than busing around in A ball.
The Marksman
AG
NIL/transfer portal has not ruined any sport. Some old men get their panties in a twist about it on the football board though.
jkag89
Don't mind NIL. Like the idea that kids can opt for smaller schools to prove themselves instead of sitting as a frosh and still can opt for a big time program. What I don't like is the every season free agency that we seem to have now. I'd like to see some kind of rules that limit the number of times you can enter the portal but at the moment can't think of a way to make it fair for both the players and the schools.
12thMan9
AG
Nothing, nothing prevents any school from picking up a kid in the portal.

Nothing, nothing prevents a kid from not entering the portal.
Ronnie '88
StinkyPinky
AG
jkag89 said:

Don't mind NIL. Like the idea that kids can opt for smaller schools to prove themselves instead of sitting as a frosh and still can opt for a big time program. What I don't like is the every season free agency that we seem to have now. I'd like to see some kind of rules that limit the number of times you can enter the portal but at the moment can't think of a way to make it fair for both the players and the schools.
This. The $ chasing kills culture and tenure. And until ESPN and national networks show college baseball any attention, the NIL dollars will suffer accordingly.
CapCityAg89
AG
dcg4403 said:

It is amazing to see how much more MLB draft talent is going to college now that NIL is a pathway for these kids. Seems NCAA baseball is drastically benefiting as a sport. I am seeing all these big, athletic kids now taking the college route. Gavin Grahovac is THE perfect example as a predicted 55th MLB pick out of HS.

Why does there seem to be such a huge difference between the attitudes and desires of the NCAA football players vs baseball? Football players seem to be after the highest NIL bids. Regardless of the university. No allegiances whatsoever. All about the $$$$.

But baseball players seem to be very different. Taking NIL deals over MLB draft picks. Understanding the value of being developed into a highly competitive MLB player. And in college, they seem to be very committed to their university of choice.

Thoughts? Are baseball players simply higher IQ people that understand the bigger picture in life?

Every single assumption here is flawed and untrue. A&M benefited this season for sure. Ask Stanford fan his take on NIL and the transfer portal.

Football players and baseball players in general are looking for an opportunity to get developed and drafted, they want playing time and oh, a little money to help their family and go on dates. A very limited number are searching big money but it's just an easy bogeyman.

Also "baseball players are smarter than football players" is insulting at best.
W
AG
the timing of NIL with the implosion of the Pac-12 is fantastic for the SEC

and A&M's being on the western edge of the SEC is also a plus for landing California players
twk
AG
We've always had transfers in baseball. I'm ok with NIL, especially in light of how much the cost of attendance has risen.
LB12Diamond
AG
Still trying to figure out how it's ruining football.
AggieCrew44
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Still trying to figure out how it's ruining football.
Maybe it's just me, but my care level for the sport has fallen drastically other than game day. I used to follow it with a passion and it's just not the case anymore. Recruiting is just kinda "meh, whatever. They may be gone in two weeks because a coach yelled at them"

I don't know how anyone thinks the Kadyn Proctor situation was a good look for the sport. It's just going to happen more and more
Floorguy
The best High School football players have no leverage of entering the draft, so of course they will work the system for money where it's available. I believe less draft picks, and teams in professional baseball has definitely impacted College baseball. NIL helps as well; but it will continue to be very tough to get a 1st, or even 2nd rounder to come to campus.
HtownAg94
AG
Single A ball isn't what it use to be. It is much better. The Players Union has gotten them many more provisions for accommodations etc. than in the past.

I am not arguing against college baseball, I love it, but Minor League ball isn't as blue collar as it use to be.
Fairview20
AG
It's not "ruining it" per se but it is definitely impacting a lot of people's enjoyment. I mean Kayden Proctor literally just announced he's transferring back to Bama, after transferring from Bama to Iowa in January. It's gotten ridiculous.
Corporal Punishment
AG
College football is pretty much dead to me. Maybe I'll catch the bug again in the fall but probably not.
cevans_40
AG
Well yeah. Under 12 scholarships is/was ridiculous thanks to Title IX
The Marksman
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

College football is pretty much dead to me. Maybe I'll catch the bug again in the fall but probably not.
Your loss
Chester
Corporal Punishment said:

Go to a game. Don't sit at home watching it on tv. You'll get fired up, again.
Chester
TarponChaser
BQ_90 said:

The two go hand-in-hand.

NIL is definitely helping college baseball by getting kids to college vs. taking draft money. And the collegiate baseball player life is a lot better than the low-minors.

In college, especially at big-time program (ie- most P5 conference members) kids get better facilities, better travel accommodations (charter jets vs. bus), better living situations, high-quality instruction, education, and maybe most importantly- college chicks.
TarponChaser
CapCityAg89 said:

dcg4403 said:

Every single assumption here is flawed and untrue. A&M benefited this season for sure. Ask Stanford fan his take on NIL and the transfer portal.

Football players and baseball players in general are looking for an opportunity to get developed and drafted, they want playing time and oh, a little money to help their family and go on dates. A very limited number are searching big money but it's just an easy bogeyman.

Also "baseball players are smarter than football players" is insulting at best.

Stanford has had its share of transfers in too.
LB12Diamond
AG
So a kid changed his mind. So did the WR from UTEP last year that came to A&M. Who cares.
GigEmAgsCaleb
Grahovac recently inked a NIL deal with Bryan College Station Toyota leasing him a new 2024 truck as well as a deal with Accelerator Energy! Big for college baseball
TAMU1990
AG
GigEmAgsCaleb said:

Grahovac recently inked a NIL deal with Bryan College Station Toyota leasing him a new 2024 truck as well as a deal with Accelerator Energy! Big for college baseball

Cali kid with a truck. Texas must be rubbing off on him. When will he get his first pair of boots?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.