Baseball Sarge

15,543 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Bedmaiston
Capt. America
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Call this a rant. Enjoy it or don't, I don't care.

Since 2015, I've been advocating for a logo I designed, Ol' Sarge holding a baseball bat. Despite multiple attempts to try to make it an official logo, it finally got shut down earlier this year when me and the folks from CC creations approached the university to develop it. I was told that the logo was "vaulted" and that Ol' Sarge was not being used in any kind of official capacity, especially on a design like I had.

Just a couple of months later, Aggie Baseball posted a video out on socials with what appears to be an awfully similar design to my own, completely cutting me out of the conversation and going about it their own way.

Not much I can do for my situation at this point. I just want to make folks aware. Gig 'em.

Sharpshooter
AG
I hate lawyers, however......
trouble
AG
That's annoying as all hell.

It's that from the video they posted today?
you moran
AG
First of all.. awesome design. 2nd of all...if the University/12th man sells it's similar design and de-mothballs Ol' Sarge, then I'm buying that sh*t. Screw you, buddy. You're sol. But I'll pour one out for you my good fellow Ag. Well, maybe pour just a little. Don't really want to waste good beer.

But cool design. And thanks.
you moran
AG
And jk. Seriously, cool design.
Capt. America
AG
Indeed it was
RED AG 98
AG
No advice but that's not cool. Not cool at all. And your logo is much better.
trouble
AG
I was trying to get a good look at it on my phone earlier.

This really does piss me off on your behalf. ESP because you tried to do things the right way.
cypress-ag
AG
I know that the University hired away a Marketing Coordinator away from Perdue to upgrade the University and it's brand appeal, not sure if it will cross over to athletics but the cringy we are not weird are hopefully coming to an end.
TAMU1990
AG
The university has Sarge trademarked. I think you are SOL.
Capt. America
AG
Sure he is, and I'm not asking for a trademark. Just a little recognition for where they got inspiration would go a long way.
trouble
AG
Want a funny kid story from today? You're getting anyway so smile.

The boys wanted cheeseburgers from the Chicken for lunch. As soon as we got there, they had to go say howdy to Sneaky Snek. She was more active than usual and her rattle was just a shaking. As I walked up to them, they were grinning like crazy and told me "she's a rare snake, a rattlin snake" and then laughed at their own joke so hard they nearly fell down.
Capt. America
AG
Love that
RED AG 98
AG
I watched the ~15 min highlights from TCU v Ags from the 2022 regional. Smiled at the few seconds of airtime you and your got. Those were fun times.

Also, do you run the section 203 merch store? Wondering how many more orders do you need to ship the maroon button down?
DD88
AG
Capt. America
AG
No, I didn't run the merch store. I did the designs back in 2018, but another member of the section took designs and put them on a website more recently.
RED AG 98
AG
:/
Capt. America
AG
I just went digging into my old emails and came across this little number. As I figured, not much I can do here.
you moran
AG
At least they apologized before bending you over...
Capt. America
Hearne_Ag
AG
I'm sorry you got cut out. It really sucks when people do that stuff without giving credit and the worst part is that their version usually isn't all that good.

RED AG 98
AG
I had no idea there were so many competing versions.

(see also: here)

Capt. America
AG
Yeah, my original design goes back to 2015, though I made several adjustments to clean it up to where it is today. Just sucks.
woodometer
AG
Golf has been putting a golfing old sarge on hats and shirts for a couple of years. Rob Childress embraced Old Sarge and there was and still may be a very large one on the wall of the offices at Olsen.
RED AG 98
AG
The first I saw it was definitely your unis x account long before I was super regular here. Just sux all around.
GarryowenAg
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I had no idea there were so many competing versions.

(see also: here)

Has anyone figured out where to buy these stickers? It's driving me crazy!
Capt. America
AG
A friend of mine on Twitter/X apparently went digging and found my original post about it. Almost 10 years ago man.
RED AG 98
AG
I may or may not have bought a handful from that guy in the linked thread.
RED AG 98
AG
I would just ask him how to place an order. He messaged me via DM when I asked... they are very nice

BCG Disciple
AG
This is not a novel design. You stop a university logo and made something that is not unique.

Also, the university dramatically improved on your logo. The body/legs were too cartoony, and from what I can see in the blurred logo the new design it is more true to form.

But I understand your frustration. As a kid I often thought and discussed having a capri sun larger than a six ounce pouch. About a year later, those theiving a-holes introduced the big pouch capri sun and I've boycotted those sons of b**ches ever since.
A-A Ron
BCG Disciple said:

This is not a novel design. You stop a university logo and made something that is not unique.

Also, the university dramatically improved on your logo. The body/legs were too cartoony, and from what I can see in the blurred logo the new design it is more true to form.

But I understand your frustration. As a kid I often thought and discussed having a capri sun larger than a six ounce pouch. About a year later, those theiving a-holes introduced the big pouch capri sun and I've boycotted those sons of b**ches ever since.
Right there with you! As a kid we would play street hockey after school and it was always a pain to switch from shoes to skates and I had the idea wouldn't be cool if our shoes just had wheels built into them and just pop them out when needed... then a few years later they very item came to market. Someone beat me to it.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

I think it's Mr. Red but maroon and with Sarge's head.

becomes

Aginnebraska
AG
Capt. America said:

Call this a rant. Enjoy it or don't, I don't care.

Since 2015, I've been advocating for a logo I designed, Ol' Sarge holding a baseball bat. Despite multiple attempts to try to make it an official logo, it finally got shut down earlier this year when me and the folks from CC creations approached the university to develop it. I was told that the logo was "vaulted" and that Ol' Sarge was not being used in any kind of official capacity, especially on a design like I had.

Just a couple of months later, Aggie Baseball posted a video out on socials with what appears to be an awfully similar design to my own, completely cutting me out of the conversation and going about it their own way.

Not much I can do for my situation at this point. I just want to make folks aware. Gig 'em.

While I like your Ol' Sarge logo...Ol' Sarge might be intellectual property of the University...which means you were borrowing from them to create your logo. While your creativity should be awarded...you generally can't take other people's IP, make some changes, and claim it as your own. You are the one who needs the license to to make changes and monetize it if TAMU controls the IP.

Now that is assuming Ol' Sarge IP is in some way owned or controlled by TAMU. If it's not owned or licensed by TAMU and nothing like it has ever existed before for baseball, then you might have a stronger case. I'm not familiar enough over time what contexts Ol' Sarge has been used in TAMU marketing.
Capt. America
AG
Yes, I borrowed the IP to create a logo that was unofficially used in my own stuff, primarily for fun. The problem is that this logo that the university decided to create was probably not even an idea for the university until I approached them with CC creations to try to make my rendition official.

I recognized that I'm not getting anything monetarily out of this and frankly, I don't care. Just learning I need to let it go at this point.
TX_Aggie37
AG
dabo man said:

Quote:

I think it's Mr. Red but maroon and with Sarge's head.

becomes

The internet wins again. That's exactly what it is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.