Hydroxychloroquine...........

294,125 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Jabin
Red Fishing Ag93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beware of Doug said:

Especially when those "woke" libs are harping on their leftist agenda of vaccines working, the earth being round and that they don't get butt****ed by a demon in their dreams
I don't know, man. Seems like the woke libs would enjoy something like a butt****ing from a demon.
Picadillo
Philip J Fry
AG
Zobel said:

Ok, let's exclude that guy. 999-6 still seems compelling to me.

Sorry. Not a double blind peer reviewed study. Means nothing.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Philip J Fry said:

Zobel said:

Ok, let's exclude that guy. 999-6 still seems compelling to me.

Sorry. Not a double blind peer reviewed study. Means nothing.
Agreed, but all the double blind peer reviewed studies say HCQ doesn't work, and right now I believe the count is 7 of them.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Picadillo
Philip J Fry
AG
How many of those used all three in the study during early onset?

How many of the 7 have been outright retracted?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Philip J Fry said:

How many of the 7 have been outright retracted?
Not a single one

As for how many used all 3, none of them, just like all the retrospective, non-controlled studies y'all keep touting like Raoult's and the Henry Ford study.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Philip J Fry
AG
I ask because the Lancet retraction a couple months ago.

Until a study is completed with all 3 and early in the disease progression, I don't see how the vitriol towards it is justified.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

I don't see how the vitriol towards it is justified.
Is there vitriol? I really don't see that anywhere.
fig96
AG
What exactly is the pro-HCQ crowd looking for here? Most people, including the docs, are saying they don't think studies prove it works but if you want to use it then knock yourself out.
Another Doug
AG
Some are looking for hope, some are just pawns in the latest distraction.
Philip J Fry
AG
And some think that the answer for getting our economy back could be staring right at us, but won't act on it for political reasons.

The notion that you can protest, but can't go to church is extremely disturbing. The notion that the government will arrest you for opening a salon, but do nothing if you burn the salon down in racist protest is sickening. It destroys whatever credibility the government has to tell us we need to sacrifice our financial health for our physical health.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
fig96 said:

What exactly is the pro-HCQ crowd looking for here? Most people, including the docs, are saying they don't think studies prove it works but if you want to use it then knock yourself out.
I think a lot of people are just looking to be "right" so they can say, "I told you so". Hydroxychloroquine unfortunately has just become another partisan issue and it really is a sad state of affairs that modern medicine has devolved into this d*** measuring contest.

On the politics board, a recent thread regarding another non-evidenced based claim on the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine had a poster directly accusing Aggie doctors not in favor of using the drug as wanting people to die! If the issue hadn't officially jumped the shark before, it sure has now when you have to inject that degree of asinine hyperbole into your argument. People are now conflating the desire to adhere to established and standardized protocols to evaluate therapeutic efficacy with wanting people to die.

There is no place for emotion like that in modern medicine. It isn't about being right or wrong, it's about benefiting the greater good by doing your due diligence in order to come to conclusions that are evidence-based. But f*** all that because politics.
EyeBalz
AG
This Aggie ophthalmologist will take HCQ with Zinc and Azithromycin if I get sick.

There have been no serious studies conducted in the US evaluating the efficacy of the early use of Plaquenil (HCQ) with Zinc and Z-Pack. It seems that Big Pharma has nothing to gain and a lot to lose from Plaquenil's success.

There is, however, a lot of other evidence to support its use.

Yale epidemiologist supports its use:

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/yale-epidemiologist-says-hydroxychloroquine-key-defeating-covid-19
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Politics might be it for some.

The understandable lack of trust in the lying, lobbying pharmaceutical industry could be another.

We could start a list of all the double blind whatever "perfect" studies that later turned to be a flat bull*****

We could so the same with historical science.
DadHammer
AG
fig96 said:

This is just flat out wrong.
fig96
AG
DadHammer said:

fig96 said:

Then please correct me.
EyeBalz
AG
fig96 said:

DadHammer said:

fig96 said:

Then please correct me.
If the NIH had actually studied HCQ used early with Zinc and Azithromycin, then we might have some proof one way or the other, but they have conspicuously chosen not to.

There is enough anecdotal evidence that it's efficacious from practicing primary care docs around the world, that I think it likely does work.

I think most docs would take HCQ if they got sick and had access to the drug. I would, and I have my own stash already.

15 years ago, Chloroquine's activity against the SARS virus was well documented in this article.

Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread
Philip J Fry
AG
That's honestly what gets me. The fact that there haven't been studies with all three and early in the disease is frustrating.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Red Fishing Ag93 said:

The understandable lack of trust in the lying, lobbying pharmaceutical industry could be another.

We could start a list of all the double blind whatever "perfect" studies that later turned to be a flat bull*****

Agreed. My post came off as blaming the right because of what that one poster said, which was not my intention, because I believe both sides of the aisle are equally at fault for starting and continuing to foster this fiasco. And I don't blame anyone for their mistrust of information being put out these days, but that doesn't mean we abandon reason entirely.

Now more than ever, healthcare professionals on either side of the issue need to abandon their personal biases, and genuinely re-evaluate how they approach and share information on this issue, or else we risk further divide. We can't be making wise sweeping generalizations based on personal experience. The public at large is now falling victim to confirmation bias as each side continues to tout their team's anecdotal evidence and no one cares about facts anymore.

We need to start over to a point where we can all acknowledge that hydroxychloroquine is (and has been) well tolerated in most individuals, and that there is some evidence that suggests there could be a benefit in managing COVID in some population at some point during the course of infection in combination with zinc and/or azithro/doxy; with the caveat however that thus far there is simply no strong evidence to confirm that claim. Until we have definitive data one way or the other, its use needs to be individualized based on a conversation between patients and providers weighing the risks and benefits. But again, this approach will never happen, because politics.
chap
AG
fig96 said:

I don't know if I'm necessarily in the "pro-HCQ" crowd but I have been following this board since it was set up. The doctors who have been providing the most COVID input and experiences (Reveille, Marcus, and others) seem to be big believers in it and have first-hand success in using it. I have followed along Reveille's posts since the beginning. Marcus started this thread before Trump's mention of HCQ so I don't think he was political in his optimism. I notice those doctors don't seem to be posting here as often as they used to. Maybe they were tired of being attacked or just are busy with other things. I don't know. But I do know one other doctor has posted on here that it would be unethical to prescribe HCQ which I would think to be an indirect insult to those that are prescribing it and claiming success.

So as someone who is just trying to read and learn it is tough to see such disagreement. But from reading a lot of doctors on here I don't think it is fair to say "most people, including the docs" don't think it works.
Infection_Ag11
AG
EyeBalz said:

fig96 said:

DadHammer said:

fig96 said:

Then please correct me.
If the NIH had actually studied HCQ used early with Zinc and Azithromycin, then we might have some proof one way or the other, but they have conspicuously chosen not to.

There is enough anecdotal evidence that it's efficacious from practicing primary care docs around the world, that I think it likely does work.

I think most docs would take HCQ if they got sick and had access to the drug. I would, and I have my own stash already.

15 years ago, Chloroquine's activity against the SARS virus was well documented in this article.

Again, anecdotal evidence (which is already not particularly useful) is even more meaningless when we're talking about a disease with a very low overall mortality. And especially so when we're talking about outpatient management of that disease. This is because nearly everyone will recover no matter what you do for them. I could put ANY harmless substance in a capsule, tell patients and doctors it was X drug and generate the same anecdotal perception.

Guys like Reveille are good doctors and genuinely trying to help people. In no way am I accusing him or others like him of lying. But his intuitive assessment of the efficacy of this treatment on his outpatients is simply not a meaningful metric.
Philip J Fry
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

EyeBalz said:

fig96 said:

DadHammer said:

fig96 said:

Then please correct me.

Again, anecdotal evidence (which is already not particularly useful) is even more meaningless when we're talking about a disease with a very low overall mortality. And especially so when we're talking about outpatient management of that disease. This is because nearly everyone will recover no matter what you do for them. I could put ANY harmless substance in a capsule, tell patients and doctors it was X drug and generate the same anecdotal perception.

Guys like Reveille are good doctors and genuinely trying to help people. In no way am I accusing him or others like him of lying. But his intuitive assessment of the efficacy of this treatment on his outpatients is simply not a meaningful metric.

Then why in God's name are we shutting everything down? This is madness.
goodAg80
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

Red Fishing Ag93 said:

Agreed. My post came off as blaming the right because of what that one poster said, which was not my intention, because I believe both sides of the aisle are equally at fault for starting and continuing to foster this fiasco. And I don't blame anyone for their mistrust of information being put out these days, but that doesn't mean we abandon reason entirely.

Now more than ever, healthcare professionals on either side of the issue need to abandon their personal biases, and genuinely re-evaluate how they approach and share information on this issue, or else we risk further divide. We can't be making wise sweeping generalizations based on personal experience. The public at large is now falling victim to confirmation bias as each side continues to tout their team's anecdotal evidence and no one cares about facts anymore.

We need to start over to a point where we can all acknowledge that hydroxychloroquine is (and has been) well tolerated in most individuals, and that there is some evidence that suggests there could be a benefit in managing COVID in some population at some point during the course of infection in combination with zinc and/or azithro/doxy; with the caveat however that thus far there is simply no strong evidence to confirm that claim. Until we have definitive data one way or the other, its use needs to be individualized based on a conversation between patients and providers weighing the risks and benefits. But again, this approach will never happen, because politics.
I completely agree with this. The risk is low to try HCQ plus other stuff, but no one should be surprised if it is not effective. With small, anecdotal experiments you can see all kinds of "correlations". This is well known from statistics. It makes it very easy for confirmation bias to take over and its worse if you have a political bent.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

EyeBalz said:

fig96 said:

DadHammer said:

fig96 said:

Then please correct me.

Then why in God's name are we shutting everything down? This is madness.

We're talking about outpatient management
Cookiemonster64
Doctor's can't even seem to agree on this drug as effective or not. Studies conflict each other. How in the hell do we expect politicians and lay people to agree?

Note: primarily responded to your post as you're a prominent doctor on these boards that disagrees with any prominent doctor on these boards. It's the internet, felt obligated to point out not attacking you or your post here.
Another Doug
AG
Only one political party is retweeting lines like "we don't have to wear a mask , we have a cure"
fig96
AG
EyeBalz said:

fig96 said:

DadHammer said:

fig96 said:

Then please correct me.

You're literally reinforcing my "no one really cares if you want to take it, but people keep trying to claim there's proof" post from the last page.

Also don't know how a study on a similar but different drug (in my understanding) used on SARS 15 years ago is relevant.
fig96
AG
As we're only hearing from a handful of doctors no matter what on here, I don't think we can really use that much of a basis for the medical community at large. Per studies it doesn't seem to be consistently effective, but some do seem to have found or at least believe to have found some success. No matter what our personal opinions, that's anecdotal until proven otherwise. If you or others want to put stock in that then that's your right.

But just like you mentioned that docs prescribing it aren't doing so to be political, I think it's asinine that some think docs who don't believe in the treatment are doing so for political reasons (not saying you're claiming that, but many are). If they believed it worked they would be pushing to use it.

The politicization of it by our politicians and the media is an entirely separate issue.
oldyella
AG
fig96 said:

MY BODY. MY CHOICE. If you have a patient passionate about the COVID COKCTAIL treatment, write if off label. Do the right thing, explain your "scientific" data but let the patient choose under your license.
Dad
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

EyeBalz said:

fig96 said:

DadHammer said:

fig96 said:

Then please correct me.

The hospitalization rate for confirmed cases is 20%. I wouldn't call that ust getting better no matter what
you do. Nearly everyone gets better if you mean they survive but if I'm a doctor and I have 100 patients diagnosed with confirmed Covid and I gave them all sugar pills, I would expect 20 give or take some margin of error to end up in the hospital at some point.

If these anecdotal docs all over the internet are being completely honest, some claim to have treated 100+ patients with zero or one ending up in a hospital. That is not within the margin of error for a placebo.

I have seen so much dishonesty from every side of every issue this year that I don't know what to believe so I don't feel like I'm in the pro or against HcQ camp. I just think if these doctors are telling the whole truth and have accurate data there might be something to this cocktail given early.
fig96
AG
oldyella said:

fig96 said:

MY BODY. MY CHOICE. If you have a patient passionate about the COVID COKCTAIL treatment, write if off label. Do the right thing, explain your "scientific" data but let the patient choose under your license.
First off, it's beyond hilarious to me that conservatives keep using that phrase. I can't tell if it's intentionally ironic or not.

But as I literally said in the post you quoted as and others have said, if you want to go for it. As it's not yet proven some doctors will not prescribe it as they don't believe it's effective and that's an understandable choice. Other docs will so go find one of those.
redd38
AG
fig96 said:

I can't tell if it's intentionally ironic or not.
John J 01
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

jpb1999 said:

So why has every doctor I talked to said they would take it if they got Covid-19. They must all be stupid...
Because you have probably only talked to 2 doctors you know who likely have a significant political bias and/or have a poor understanding of medical literature appraisal, which is surprisingly common among physicians. Medical school does a terrible job of teaching statistics and study design. I happen to know 100s of doctors, and the first and only time I have heard of physicians supporting HCQ use in the last 2 months outside of the AAPS wackos was here on TexAgs.

There is a facebook group I am apart of, EMDocs, which is a group of around 20k+ emergency physicians. This is a group that leans slightly conservative. They actually posted a poll the other day regarding HCQ and who supports it. Certainly this is not in any way scientific, but I think the results below will illustrate the point I am trying to make. And hey, if no one can convince you that this med doesn't work, and you can find a doctor that will prescribe it to you, knock yourself out.

"I believe in science" is a typical liberal phrase meant to undercut anyone who has a differing opinion.

Science is liberal? Sorry, but science doesn't care what you believe (or about your politics). Neither does this virus. Poop in one hand and "believe" you have 20 diamonds in the other. Take 2 HCQ pills, then call me in the morning and let me know which hand filled up first.
Philip J Fry
AG
No, I said that stupid phrase is a typical lib talking point. It's meant to suggest that the other side is full of hillbilly bible thumping idiots who think the earth is flat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.