Iranian President might be dead

27,452 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by TitanAGGIE09
AtticusMatlock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Along with the foreign minister. Helicopter crash near Azerbaijan.

https://nypost.com/2024/05/19/world-news/rescuers-respond-to-incident-involving-iranian-president-ebrahim-raisis-helicopter-convoy/

It was posted on the Israel/Hamas thread but it's different enough for it's own thread. Reports of fog and low visibility. Rescuers having difficulty accessing the site.
fixer
That's a shame.
ABATTBQ11
AG
But more than that...
YouBet
AG
Reports of fog and visibility....Oh, and a cylindrical object slamming into the helicopter at 400 mph.
aggiehawg
AG
AtticusMatlock
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/5/19/helicopter-carrying-irans-president-suffers-hard-landing-state-tv

Quote:

Three copters were in the convoy, and the two others made it back safely.

Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian and Ayatollah Mohammad Ali Ale-Hashem, the representative of the Iranian supreme leader to the province, are believed to have been in the same helicopter as Raisi.

Quote:

Government news website IRNA said the president's helicopter is believed to have crashed in the Dizmar protected area, a forested and mountainous zone.

Also reporting there was at least brief radio contact but Al Jazeera reporter seems to think contact has now been lost.
bobbranco
AG
Kudos to Bibi if it was him.
Logos Stick
Meet the new boss...
GAC06
AG
Quote:

Iran operates a variety of helicopters, but decades of sanctions have made it difficult to purchase new aircraft or obtain parts.

Many of the military aircraft currently in service in Iran date back to before the country's 1979 revolution.

Who says sanctions don't work?
aggiepanic95
AG
The Biden administration is feverishly working to get the Iranians billions to ease them in this time of mourning.
FriscoKid
AG
You win some, you lose some.
agent-maroon
AG
Mossad
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
doubledog
Take home lesson : Do not piss off the Israels
Old Tom Morris
"Hard landing" lol
Thunderstruck xx
Comment on the article:

"My condolences to the Biden Administration."
AtticusMatlock
This has some interesting dynamics.

Azerbaijan and Iran are not exactly best friends. Azerbaijan and Israel have a decently close relationship.

The Iranian President was there to take part in a diplomatic photo op to celebrate the completion of a joint dam project, likely in hopes to at least slightly improve relations between the two countries. It wasn't that long ago that the Azerbaijani embassy was attacked in Tehran.

While the crash occurred in Iranian territory, it wasn't that far from the border at least as far as I can tell.
Joes
Does it even matter if true? I would imagine the line of succession is essentially just a bunch of equally fanatical replacements.

Is there an Iranian Kamala? Lol
Jeeper79
AG
Now do Kaminei.
torrid
AG
Too bad none of the mullahs were onboard.
YouBet
AG
Joes said:

Does it even matter if true? I would imagine the line of succession is essentially just a bunch of equally fanatical replacements.

It's mostly irrelevant. This position has no power and is strictly a formality. Evil people facing karma is always a good story though.
AtticusMatlock
Won't change anything policywise. Supreme Leader Snoke appoints a "Guardian Council" which has veto power not only of legislation coming from the Parliament, but they also have veto power over anyone wanting to run for high office. Any sort of reform-minded candidate or anyone whom the Ayatollah thinks may be too moderate on some issues is simply not allowed to run. Otherwise the elections are free and open.
AtticusMatlock
It looks like one was.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

It's mostly irrelevant.
Might have some value from a "sending a message" standpoint if the Israelis were behind it. If so, you can bet the mullahs won't be travelling by air anytime soon.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FriscoKid
AG
YouBet said:

Joes said:

It's mostly irrelevant. This position has no power and is strictly a formality. Evil people facing karma is always a good story though.

Yep, the "president" is a figurehead. The crazy religious dudes call the shots.
nortex97
AG
Worth celebrating even if he suffered only a 'head injury.'
Biz Ag
AG

Joes
YouBet said:

Joes said:

Yeah, I get that and I certainly won't miss him.

If Israel did this though it seems like a huge risk for no real tangible benefit. I'll follow along but my bet is that whatever happened probably really was just mechanical or weather or something like that.
AtticusMatlock
Al Jazeera reporting new update that the chopper and the Pres are "still missing" and rescuers are struggling to reach the site.
agsalaska
AG
T&P for Biden losing one of his closest allies.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
annie88
AG
Good.
FriscoKid
AG
annie88 said:

Good.

They keep replaying the same video over and over. He's gone and the promise of 72 virgins is gone too.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

Al Jazeera reporting new update that the chopper and the Pres are "still missing" and rescuers are struggling to reach the site.
I guess any survivors are figuring out who gets eaten first.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
EX TEXASEX
Christmas in May !!
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was the Israelis or a Mother Gaia
#FJB
AtticusMatlock
A look at the search conditions they are dealing with.

Contrary to an earlier report, Al Jazeera is now reporting that no one has been in contact.
aggie93
AG
Joes said:

YouBet said:

Joes said:

Yeah, I get that and I certainly won't miss him.

If Israel did this though it seems like a huge risk for no real tangible benefit. I'll follow along but my bet is that whatever happened probably really was just mechanical or weather or something like that.
Hard to say, anything that creates instability could spiral it's just hard to know how it will happen.

As an aside the Iranians are an interesting people. I know many Persians here in the US and they are as American as can be. Typically highly educated. A lot of MD's and PhD's. Many no longer are Muslim. Iran lets folks leave without much fuss. They don't want folks that want liberty to stay so they don't try to keep them. It's smart and it is why it's so hard to replace the mullahs.

The other half of that is I have also noticed that among those Persian Americans none seem to have any desire to try to support making those changes. Certainly not like you saw with say, the Irish in America. It amazes me with some that I honestly think I know more about what is going on in Iran more than they do. They love Persian food and the culture but have basically written off their homeland otherwise.

I just don't know how that's getting fixed because the only way you can have change in a place like Iran is from the inside out. The best thing we can do is disengage as much as possible and let them turn their attention to the Saudis so they can have Sunni/Shia fun killing each other instead of worrying about us. Even then it's really all about regional power and control. The religious stuff is just a distraction for the sheep. Same with the Israeli and Palestinian conflict, that's about how Iran doesn't want Israel to get closely allied with Saudi.

By far the best strategy is to become energy independent and have no reliance on anything from that region and let them do whatever they are going to do. It's going to happen anyway so putting our blood and treasure in the middle is just setting it on fire.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.