old restaurant question

3,354 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Another Doug
harrierdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What used to be where the Babylon Cafe is located? Racking my brains and can't remember.
BaronDeBishopville
seems to me it was Mongolian Grill or something like that
Hornbeck
Yes. The French place was in the middle.
harrierdoc
AG
What was the French place?
Leslie
La Riveria was the French place! I sure loved it!
harrierdoc
AG
Thanks!
Hornbeck
Leslie said:

I could not remember the name, but the wife loved it.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Leslie said:

Best damned French onion soup I've ever had
EVA3
AG
harrierdoc said:

What used to be where the Babylon Cafe is located? Racking my brains and can't remember.
Pyro Mongolian Grill. That place was fantastic. Too bad it went under.
JMac03
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

Leslie said:

Miss this mother's day brunch. We started going there after Lemon Wedge closed.
AggiePirate
AG

Leslie said:

Did you ever try the one at Frost Bank? (Back when they were serving it at the location a few businesses back), Oxford Street, best salad bar in human history.
Hornbeck
I wonder if Oxford Street was really that good, or is it the nostalgia effect remembering now shuttered restaurants fondly? Toss Fort Shiloh and Tom's BBQ in that group for me.
AggiePirate
AG
Hornbeck said:

I wonder if Oxford Street was really that good, or is it the nostalgia effect remembering now shuttered restaurants fondly? Toss Fort Shiloh and Tom's BBQ in that group for me.
If you know you know.
cypress-ag
AG
AggiePirate said:

Hornbeck said:

If you know you know.
And that bread you got was too good.
Another Doug
AG
Oxford street was a Steak and Ale that went independent at some point. The kept pretty much the same menu as S&A.

The Texan had the best French onion soup I've had in CS, though the new French place in So. CS is pretty good.
PS3D
Another Doug said:

Oxford street was a Steak and Ale that went independent at some point. The kept pretty much the same menu as S&A.

The Texan had the best French onion soup I've had in CS, though the new French place in So. CS is pretty good.
I think I have it in my notes (from an old article The Eagle posted) that Steak & Ale opened in 1984 and then sold it in 1987, with the new owners briefly keeping the S&A name before changing it to Oxford Street.

Coincidentally both Oxford Street closed and the entire S&A chain went away the same year.
Another Doug
AG
PS3D said:

Another Doug said:

I think I have it in my notes (from an old article The Eagle posted) that Steak & Ale opened in 1984 and then sold it in 1987, with the new owners briefly keeping the S&A name before changing it to Oxford Street.

Coincidentally both Oxford Street closed and the entire S&A chain went away the same year.
Probably used the same supplier. I used to work at steak and ale, seems like over half our deliveries were these huge boxes of "Squaw Bread" (that good bread came pre-made)

FYI, From what I remember on French onion soup. I believe the onion soup came premade. When it was ordered soup went in bowl, holland rusk put on top, then 2 provolone cheese slices on top and the toasted until it was all melted.

Also, Steak and Ale is making a comeback, first new one is opening this summer.
Tailgate88
AG
AggiePirate said:

Leslie said:

Did you ever try the one at Frost Bank? (Back when they were serving it at the location a few businesses back), Oxford Street, best salad bar in human history.

Definitely a great salad bar but I suggest you try Casa do Brasil.
Another Doug
AG
As someone who was in charge of the Steak and Ale salad bar, which was pretty much identical to Oxford street. The local Brazilian place is a 1000x better. The lettuce and veggies were fresh , but pretty much everything else came from a bag or can.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.