Toyota recommended oil weight

1,872 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by PLC 83
Dr. Venkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Virtually all Toyotas recommend 0W-20 in the U.S. market owners manual. Yet, the official service data sheet, factory service manual, and owners manual outside of the U.S. market recommends anything but 0W-20.

I've come to the conclusion that 0W-20 is only recommended so that they can meet the latest CAFE standards and do NOT provide the best protection for your engine. In Texas climate, 15W-40 should be used most of the year. You can use 5W-30 or 10W-30 if you want better fuel economy or if you expect temperatures to drop below 10 degF.

The 2015 Toyota Highlander for example,
U.S. market owners manual:

However, the official service data sheet:

Factory service manual:

Australian owners manual:

idAg09
I am now using 5w-30 in my Tundra based on what I've read over the years as well. Might do the same for my 2.0 Accord once I read up a bit more on Honda stuff
'03ag
Big topic on Toyota Lexus boards. Using 5w-30 in my 2013 LX because of everything you said.

BiggiesLX
Good stuff. I also switched from zero weight since it doesn't provide better protection.
Dr. Venkman
AG
'03ag said:

Big topic on Toyota Lexus boards. Using 5w-30 in my 2013 LX because of everything you said.

The way I read the Australian manual, though, is that I should use 15W40 unless I live in a climate that I expect temperatures below 10 degF (I don't) or if I want to sacrificed engine protection for fuel economy (I don't).
'03ag
yeah I was more referring to the CAFE standards and studying the worldwide manuals. There's been a ton of discussion on this and that's where I've landed. I'm also using a 5k interval instead of 10k.
drmwvr
AG
To be the contrarian here, I have a '10 200 Series Land Cruiser and have only run 0W-20 since I purchased it in '15 with 50k miles on the odometer. 220k now and no issues. I only use Mobile 1 and change every 5k. I am not an auto engineer so I tend to trust Toyota's recommendations more than someone on the internet. YMMV
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

so I tend to trust Toyota's recommendations
Which is? Doesn't look like even they know.
drmwvr
AG
the one marked on the thigymabob you have to take off to put oil in the engine
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
5w30 will do fine in most climates.
JSKolache
AG
drmwvr said:

To be the contrarian here, I have a '10 200 Series Land Cruiser and have only run 0W-20 since I purchased it in '15 with 50k miles on the odometer. 220k now and no issues. I only use Mobile 1 and change every 5k. I am not an auto engineer so I tend to trust Toyota's recommendations more than someone on the internet. YMMV
Same on Tundra and Sequoia. 0w20 mobil 1 and pennz platinum. I sent samples of both used oils to Blackstone at appx 100k and they advised 7k to 9k intervals. I mean if jiffy lube is trying to charge you more for 0w20, then I get it, but 0w20 is cheap at walmart.
fixer
5w30 in warmer months, 5w20 in cooler and cold climates.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
To note, it's been documented on many Toyota forums , in the Middle East, oil weights for the same exact engines are much heavier than what is required here stateside for the same application.
Dr. Venkman
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

5w30 will do fine in most climates.
Yes, I agree it will be fine (clearly so is 0W20), but I guess I'm looking for the "best" oil for my climate without any political influence regarding fuel economy. Looking at the service datasheet, FSM, and foreign owners manuals, that's 15W40 for Houston.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Texags Automotive forum delivers. Again!!
maroon barchetta
Mobil 1 5w30 for a 2000 Tundra with 280k on the odometer.

Seems aight.
Martin Q. Blank
drmwvr said:

the one marked on the thigymabob you have to take off to put oil in the engine
Yes, you have a U.S. market oil cap. Which matches your owners manual. So we're back to square one.
AggieDruggist89
AG
So what would be the benefit of using 5w-30 over 0w-20?
bam02
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

To note, it's been documented on many Toyota forums , in the Middle East, oil weights for the same exact engines are much heavier than what is required here stateside for the same application.

Heavy machine guns and isis flags mounted in the bed will put extra strain on any engine.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
bam02 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Heavy machine guns and isis flags mounted in the bed will put extra strain on any engine.

Aloha snackbar
aggiej2007
AG
Dr. V,

My wife's car is a 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited with the 3.5L V6 engine. We purchased it new from the dealer. I have personally done all oil & filter changes at 4K-4.5K intervals and other maintenance on it myself from day one. I have trust issues.

I have used Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic for every oil change and a genuine Toyota oil filter every time. It has 130K on the clock and not one single issue. It doesn't burn a drop of oil because I measure it every time when I refill the containers for recycling. I'm not sure why Toyota issues different data to other markets but I find this happens with other manufacturers. I could go on and on about Mopar and Cummins.

That V6 is a fantastic engine and I think you'll be fine with the 0W-20 but I completely understand your quest.
agracer
AG
One thing I've noticed when changing the oil on my newer vehicles that spec 0W-20 is it looks like water coming out of the drain plug vs the thicker stuff that came out of my older cars using mostly 5w-30.
PLC 83
AG
I think 5W-30 is the best compromise for the Toyotas. My 2013 Tacoma, which is marked 5W-30 on the oil cap, has basically the same engine as my daughter's 2010 FJ Cruiser, which is marked 0W-20. And yes, the forums show that for the exact same engine designation, the countries outside the USA get the thicker grades of oil in general. As a practical matter, it is much easier to buy the same grade Valvoline synthetic than to keep numerous jugs of the stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.