****Track and Field 2023-2024****

65,275 Views | 466 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by box65
triniaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

We start the 2023-2024 thread with an update on the indoor track. Looks really impressive so far

Yell & Review: Facility Construction Tour - YouTube

trackaggie76
AG
Looks really nice. It would be "nicer" if the sprint lanes were outside the oval (like our previous indoor facility). It is difficult to run field events at the same time that the sprints are taking place with the sprint lanes inside the oval.

But...looking forward to next season!
Guest Commenter
Clarification please: The AD mentioned we are only 1 of 3 able to host NCAAs; what does that mean as last year's host, A&M, & Ark are the ONLY 4000 capacity stadiums? Haven't other sites hosted across the country or have the rules changed recently?
triniaggie
AG

Our two new assistant coaches Joe Sarra and Julia Abell

Henry Adds Joe Sarra and Julia Abell to Coaching Staff - Texas A&M Athletics - 12thMan.com
triniaggie
AG
Other athletes going pro
Talitha Diggs
Ackera Nugent
taylorswift13
AG
Britton Wilson signs with Adidas
triniaggie
AG
Guest Commenter said:

Clarification please: The AD mentioned we are only 1 of 3 able to host NCAAs; what does that mean as last year's host, A&M, & Ark are the ONLY 4000 capacity stadiums? Haven't other sites hosted across the country or have the rules changed recently?
Judging from the host sites selected for the NCAA indoor track and field championship for the next three years it seem that way. It seems that going forward they are focusing on sites with > 4000 seating capacity

2024 - Texas A&M University - Texas
2025- Norfolk State University - Virginia (Virginia Beach Sports Center with seating capacity of up to 5000)
2026 - University of Arkansas - Arkansas
TRM
AG
Birmingham and New Mexico have hosted recently. I haven't kept up with the bid criteria.
Look Out Below
AG
2024 is in Boston, not here
taylorswift13
AG
At the U23 NACAC Championships Heather Abadie vaulted 12'10 for silver, today Connor Schulman runs a 12.40 for gold in the 110 Hurdles and Jermaisha Arnold wins gold in the 400 running a 50.68 and will run the 4x4 finals tomorrow!
hurdlenut
Senior Connor Schulman has had an INCREDIBLE season! The 2019 Rice Altair graduate (he recently graduated from A&M, but has an additional year's eligibility due to Covid) came to campus with a best of 14.27 in the 110 highs...26th best high school time in Texas and something like 120th nationally. This year he was spectacular! A true coaches dream! Running a best of 13.33 he now ranks just behind Wayne Davis who leads the All Time list with a swift 13.20. Today he ran 13.40 to win the NACAC's. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE "24 season. COACHES GOTTA BE PLEASED WITH THIS KID!!
taylorswift13
AG
Thanks for that insight! I'm a huge fan of Schulman's and can't wait to see him take another leap! It would be incredible if he got to that record! Can't wait to see what he does!
shady
AG
Three world records this year for Faith Kipyegon (1500, Mile and 5000). Incredible...
triniaggie
AG
Camille Rutherford represented Bahamas at the NACAC U 23 championship in the 100m and 200m. No mention of her from Aggie athletics so I guess she is no longer with the team
hurdlenut
On the Aggie home track website they do not have the track roster for '24 listed, but they do have the coaches listed… NO MILTON MALLARD! Has he left?
TRM
AG
Mallard has been gone a couple of months.
triniaggie
AG
There were speculation for several weeks now that he was fired concerning the handling of a matter with one of the recruits Josh English. I don't know if this is so but if he is not on the Roster then this would mean he is no longer with us.
hurdlenut
I had heard that there were "allegations" against him, but didn't know that he either resigned or was "let go." Who is coaching the half milers?
taylorswift13
AG
Mikenna Robinson to Houston
taylorswift13
AG
Looks like Ishmel Williams will medically retire
triniaggie
AG

We start the 2023-2024 track season with a look at our women sprinters.
So far, we have 5 sprinters expecting to compete in 60m, 100m and 200m events. These are Semira Killebrew, Camryn Dickson, Jada Campos. Laila Hackett and Elnita Green.

Semira Killebrew
PB
60m 7.18
100m 11.14
200m 23.57
Semira has one of most explosives starts in college sprinting. If she can develop the last half of her race, she will be a top sprinter nationally. Her 7.18 PB in the 60m is a potential NCAA qualifying time and I think she will run faster than 7.18 this season indoors. She has not run much 200m races but once she remains healthy, I think her 200m times will definitely drop down for her indoor best of 23.57. Now she has run 11.10s in the 100m a couple of times, I think she is poised for a great sprinting season with the Aggies and don't forget we will have her anchoring the 4x100m relay.

Camryn Dickson
PB
60m 7.34
100m 11.17
200m 22.85
Oh, what a freshman season for this Aggie Sprinter. She made NCAA in both 100m and 200m. Now that she is constantly under 23 seconds for the 200m I expect her to develop into an exceptional 200m runner. Her latter half is the race is strong and once she works on starting her races a little more aggressively, she will definitely do well. Maybe we will see her doing a lot more 400m races this season. While her 200m has generally been her better race, I saw great strides in her 100m and is now in the 11.1s range which we can expect to drop to 11 seconds and lower next season. We will see her in her final races of the season at the Panamerican Junior championship this weekend.

Jada Campos
PB
60m 7.65
100m 11.52
200m 23.65
400m 55.11
This very talented sprinter will certainly add depth to our women sprinting this season. She had a one-year stint at Arizona State University where she only competed in a few races. Her PBs are from high school but the potential is there to add to our sprinting stock in 2024. She made it to Junior Olympics when she was 14 and won two gold medals in 4x100 and 4x400. I see her as a very versatile sprinter for the Aggies over the next couple of years. She is from Texas so transferring back to the state of Texas could only do her well with her family and friends close by.

Laila Hackett
PB
60m 7.42
100m 11.36
200m 23.55
One of the top incoming freshmen in Texas and the country, Laila comes to Aggieland with some impressive times. Her 11.36 run from early this year was exceptional run and I expect this time to be lowered in 2024. Indoor she is also impressive with 7.42 PB having only run a few indoor races. Her 23.55 for 200m is also a decent time for an incoming freshman and I can't wait to see her develop in College Station. Laila is going to bring a lot of depth to our sprinting and could be a permanent fixture leading off the Aggies in the 4x100. Laila will be competing this weekend at the Panamerican Championship for the US in the 4x100 relay.

Elnita Green
PB
60m 7.75
100m 11.52
200m 23.92
Elnita is a hometown girl from College Station. She did not compete in 2023 so her PB were from her junior high school year. I would have love to see what sort of times she would have run if she had competed in 2023. She has been very impressive up to her Junior year and I can't wait to see her develop over the next couple of years. Elnita will also add 4x100 relay depth the Aggies so badly need.
triniaggie
AG

Advertisement for an assistant Track and Field Coach

It's All Here - Working at Texas A&M (myworkdayjobs.com)
taylorswift13
AG
Amazing write up! I'm excited for this 4x100!
George Costanza
Cross Country schedule is out: https://12thman.com/news/2023/8/3/cross-country-texas-am-reveals-2023-schedule.aspx
YaBoyBP
Haven't seen if this was shared anywhere, but here's Mallard's farewell post he put up last night on IG

Edit: Didn't realize his account is private, here's the text.

Quote:

As I prepare to embark on an exciting new journey, I find myself reflecting on the incredible experiences and memories I have shared during my time as a track and field coach at Texas A&M University.

I am immensely grateful for the opportunity I have had to be a part of this wonderful institution and work with such talented athletes and dedicated staff. I carry with me the valuable lessons and experiences gained from coaching at Texas A&M.

To the athletes, thank you for your trust in my coaching and for giving your all in every training session and competition. The passion and determination displayed by you have inspired me to become a better coach and person. I will forever cherish the countless memories of victories, milestones, and the camaraderie that flourished within our team. Your dedication and hard work have been the foundation of our success, and I am honored to have been a part of your athletic journey.

To the coaching staff and support personnel, thank you for your collaboration, encouragement, and unwavering commitment to our shared mission. Your expertise and teamwork have been instrumental in achieving our collective goals. A special thank you to my Coach, career mentor and most importantly my friend, Pat Henry.

Lastly, to the administration and the entire Texas A&M Aggie community, thank you for providing a nurturing environment that allowed us to thrive and make our mark in the world of track and field. Your belief in our potential has been a driving force behind our accomplishments.
As I look forward to new challenges and opportunities, I will always carry the memories and lessons learned during my time at this wonderful institution.

Though I may be moving on to an exciting new journey, my heart will always have a special place for Texas A&M University. While I am excited about the future, I will undoubtedly miss the warmth and support of this incredible community.
Thank you once again for everything, and I hope our paths may cross again in the future.

Stay tuned…

The Marathon Continues

taylorswift13
AG
Surprised we aren't starting the cross country season at home, hopefully the TCU meet has a good amount of school and competition
taylorswift13
AG
Mallard was integral part to the 800 Meter U Brand! I'm excited to see who takes his place and hope Texas A&M can continue its legacy as 800 Meter U
DoitBest
S
Big shoes to fill, wishing the best for Coach Mallard & trusting in Coach Henry to do just that..
fitzwatema
AG
Thanks for the updates, didn't know about Mallard leaving. What is the speculation on his replacement?
TRM
AG
Look Out Below
AG
Replaced the coach that recruited and coached up an 800 athlete to the NCAA women's record with the coach that recruited and coached up an athlete to the NCAA men's 800 record. And has his own Olympic gold medal in the event. Nice.
taylorswift13
AG
I'm excited! Was scared who could replace Mallard but I'm excited for this! Now bring some Kenyans who will bring us a natty!
fitzwatema
AG
Whoop!! Welcome to Aggieland !!!
triniaggie
AG
taylorswift13 said:

I'm excited! Was scared who could replace Mallard but I'm excited for this! Now bring some Kenyans who will bring us a natty!

I am wishing the same thing. Bring some top mid distance and distance runners
triniaggie
AG
Camryn Dickson wins bronze in the 100m and Jack Mann wins gold in the Pole Vault at the Panamerican games in Puerto Rico

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.