*****Official Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread*****

242,356 Views | 4759 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by GrapevineAg
GrapevineAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't see Miro get dusted like that too often. That sucks.
Out in Left Field
AG
Completely **** that game
Mark Stoops
Pathetic yet predictable
PatAg
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

Effing Oettinger
lol
Cappo
AG
is that 3x choke jobs to Colorado this year now?
GrapevineAg
AG
7 game series, long way to go.
Mark Stoops
GrapevineAg said:

This ain't the LV series. That one is gonna be real hard to overcome.
sburg2007
One ****ing scoring chance and they can bury it. Stars couldn't do jack ***** Goodnight
PatAg
AG
Mark Stoops said:

Pathetic yet predictable
not quite as pathetic as making a sock to cry like a baby on a hockey thread.
joshpettett
AG
That's why I said OT was bad.
Tired legs got absolutely burned by rested legs on the goal.
Otter had little chance on that one
Roll the Bones
AG
Mark Stoops said:

GrapevineAg said:

Ok, rook.
Grapesoda2525
Mark Stoops said:

GrapevineAg said:

It's 1 game and we're the best road team in the NHL. Just don't drop game 2 and have another 0-2 hole and we good.
Grapesoda2525
I will say this. We couldn't have had worse luck with the playoff matchups then we've had. Coming into the playoffs, the 2 teams I didn't want to get into a series with were the golden knights because they cheat on the payroll and suffocate our offense and the avalanche because even if we get a big lead on them, McKinnon and company just keep coming and usually always catch up and overwhelm us in the span of 60 minutes or more.

The last 2 periods and overtime we looked slow and tired from the Vegas series. Thanks NHL for the poo poo scheduling / playoff format.

I like hockey. I like my team. I just hate how the nhl does things.
The Pilot
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Mark Stoops said:

GrapevineAg said:

It's 1 game and we're the best road team in the NHL. Just don't drop game 2 and have another 0-2 hole and we good.

Avs are the best home team so something will give there.
Roll the Bones
AG
Yep, it will be an interesting series.
TV Casualty
AG
Stars outplayed them in OT, but it ends up with a familiar result.

Another game 1, more missed opportunities , defense getting beat, and Otter not making the save on a rush.

Losing all these game 1s is just getting annoying.

Grapesoda2525
The Pilot said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Mark Stoops said:

GrapevineAg said:

Avs are the best home team so something will give there.
Our only win against them this year was on the road. I feel good about us splitting on the road games 3/4. Just need to make sure we get game 2.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I will say this. We couldn't have had worse luck with the playoff matchups then we've had. Coming into the playoffs, the 2 teams I didn't want to get into a series with were the golden knights because they cheat on the payroll and suffocate our offense and the avalanche because even if we get a big lead on them, McKinnon and company just keep coming and usually always catch up and overwhelm us in the span of 60 minutes or more.

The last 2 periods and overtime we looked slow and tired from the Vegas series. Thanks NHL for the poo poo scheduling / playoff format.

I like hockey. I like my team. I just hate how the nhl does things.

You can blame the NHL if you want (I don't understand why the other WC series couldn't have started tonight myself) but the Bruins scored 5 goals in their first second round game on 2 days rest after a tougher 7 game series win. So the Stars really don't have any excuses.

As far as matchups, you're going to play good teams sooner or later in the playoffs. If you can't beat them early you probably can't beat them later, either.
AggieRob93
AG
22 shots for the game? Not good.

1 for 4 on the PP while the Avs were 2 for 2? Even worse.

Let's hope the Stars recover quickly and are able to take game 2.
Russ Dalrymple
AG
When is the last time the Stars won a game 1?
TRIDENT
AG
It's not time to panic or get down…Stars just need to regroup and take the hugely important Game 2 by any means. It will feel a lot better heading to Denver with a W and an even series.
Thunder18
AG
We looked the better team in OT, they just caught us flat footed on the break. Shouldn't have ever let it get there in the first place.
AgBQ-00
AG
frustrating game. I hate 3-0 leads in the 1st.
All I do is Nguyen
Damn I went to bed in the 2nd up 3-1
Tksymm7
AG
That was most definitely a big ole choke job, and it doesn't necessarily make you feel great that we continue to throw games against the Avs left and right, but like TRIDENT above said, it's not time to panic.

A few things:
This series is a complete 180 from what we just went through with Vegas. We all knew this coming into the series, but I think it is worth noting again and recognizing that it might take some time and team adjustments to what the Avs are and do coming off of seven games with the Knights.

For instance; I think we are REALLY going to struggle in 2nd periods against the Avs strictly due to their speed and advanced ability to skate. When they get the puck in deep against us, they are going to cycle it again and again and again, and do everything in their power to get MacKinnon, Makar, Landeskog and Nichuskinin on the ice, almost like a 5/5 power play. PDB and the coaching staff are going to have to figure out a way to prevent this and hold on for dear life in long shifts.

Going along with the above; DO NOT PUT THEM ON THE POWER PLAY AT ALL COSTS. The penalty by Smith 90 feet from our own net was so incredibly stupid and put us in a huge hole. You absolutely cannot put maybe the best power in the league (them or the Oilers) on the ice in the 2nd period when they are rocking at basically a 50% clip.

Lastly, the d-men and your stars are going to have to step tf up in a major way. This isn't a series you can win with Radek Faksa scoring a late backhander out of the blue. We need our blue-chip players to be blue-chip players, and the only ones doing anything consistently at the moment are Wyatt Johnston and Jamie Benn. I also thought the d-core was overall pretty poor last night. They didn't give the puck away necessarily, but they struggled behind our own net a lot in the 2nd and 3rd periods. A part of this is probably the sheer speed that the Avs play with, so put your skating boots on fellas, because you have to defend the Avs with your feet (that can probably be said for the whole team tbh).

Bonus: I think Georgiev is trash, so PUT PUCKS ON HIM ANYTIME AND ALL THE TIME.
sburg2007
This was my gripe when we got cute. He doesn't control rebounds well. Put picks on him and crash it while also being able to get back in transition. Easier said than done.
Roll the Bones
AG
I was actually encouraged for the most part by our play in the game. We outplayed them 5 on 5 for a large portion of the game, 2nd period not withstanding. Tksymm is probably right about the long changes being a challenge in the series.

That goal in OT is one Otter wants back I'm sure. Razor was pretty critical of the play on the radio and was surprised he played it so passively instead of going for a poke check. In a long series we should have the advantage in goal so pepper their target with rubber at every opportunity and crash the net for rebounds.

Let's grab game 2 tomorrow night!
justnobody79
I don't get why Miro quit skating on the last couple of strides on the game winning goal, that burns me more than anything Otter did. Not a surprising result overall, but surprising on how it got to that point.
TV Casualty
AG
Roll the Bones said:

That goal in OT is one Otter wants back I'm sure. Razor was pretty critical of the play on the radio and was surprised he played it so passively instead of going for a poke check.

Otter deserves some criticism there for sure. Giving up rush chances against Otter in OT seemingly always ends up in a goal. Especially against the Avs.

Control play in OT with multiple quality chances. Then watch Colorado get one rush chance and bury it. Seen it way too many times.

Georgiev was better in OT than Otter.
TefIon Don
AG
I'm hoping that he quit skating because his legs were dead.
Kashchei
AG
Russ Dalrymple said:

When is the last time the Stars won a game 1?

Against Tampa in 2020
GrapevineAg
AG
TefIon Don said:

I'm hoping that he quit skating because his legs were dead.

Tend to agree. I mean he's logged a ton of minutes in the playoffs already - 8 games with a couple of OTs, no rest between series, and compounded by the fact that we are playing essentially with 5 D men.
GrapevineAg
AG
Decided to look at the data for "embellishment" penalties this regular- and post-season. 9 of these penalties have been called since the start of the 2023-2024 regular season, and 3 of them are against Dallas. Last playoffs, there were 4 called in our series against the Mild (3 against us, 1 against them) and we got hit for another 1 against SEA. We didn't have any during the 2022-2023 regular season.

The refs called a lot fewer of this penalty this year vs last (9 so far vs 31). Why do we get hit with it way above the league average? Is the league out to get us, or do we try too hard to get penalties? I dunno where I land on that - probably somewhere in the middle, closer to we're trying to hard to draw penalties.

sburg2007
It was an awful call. If you're tripped or hooked you're gonna fall. That's it
GrapevineAg
AG
I'm not arguing that call was a good one. I'm just looking at the bigger picture. Refs can make bad calls, doesn't mean the league is out to get us.
First Page Refresh
Page 136 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.