****Swimming and Diving 2023-2024****

6,828 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by aggiebq14
triniaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Rosters are up for both men and women

2023-24 Men's Swimming and Diving Roster - Texas A&M Athletics - 12thMan.com

The men lose some of the SEC scorers from last year. Hope the incoming class can step up this year.
The men add freshman Logan Brown the top recruit in Texas and 15th ranked nationally.
PB
100 Y Breast - 52.59 ( Time good enough for the B final at SEC 2023)
200 Y Breast - 154.02 ( Time good enough for the A final at SEC 2023)
200 Y IM - 144.60

The Aggies also add a top 40 recruit and 4th ranked in Texas Roberto Bonilla
PB
100 Y Breast - 54.62
200 Y Breast - 156.86

2023-24 Women's Swimming and Diving Roster - Texas A&M Athletics - 12thMan.com

I hope the women can really get back to top 5 in the SEC this year.
One transfer from Florida. Haydn Miller a potential scorer for us in the distance freestyle races at SEC and NCAA.
PB
1650 Y free- 15.59.21 (5th at SEC in 2023)
500 Y free - 4.39.88 (8th at SEC in 2023)
200 Y free - 146.35

Incoming class include Mexican record holder and backstroker Miranda Grana who has international experience and should contribute this year.
PB
100 L Back - 1.01.41
200 L Back - 2.15.52

Butterflier Katie Walker a top 50 recruit should also help the Aggies this year
PB
100 Y Fly - 53.51
200 Y Fly - 156.24 (This time is just outside the top 8 at SEC 2023)

triniaggie
AG
Schedule for both men and women teams

2023-24 Men's Swimming and Diving Schedule - Texas A&M Athletics - 12thMan.com

2023-24 Women's Swimming and Diving Schedule - Texas A&M Athletics - 12thMan.com

The women and men are set to face two top 10 teams in Texas and Tennessee at home this season.
On the women side most of our NCAA qualifiers are back.
On the men side we lost some key NCAA qualifiers and relay legs so this year we need to develop strong replacement for those who graduated.

Let's hope this season the teams do much better than the last couple of years especially on the women side.
We need to work on getting our relay teams strong with lots of depth.

Season start in two weeks at home so come out and support the teams this year
triniaggie
AG

Aggies pick up a commitment for the men's class of 2024 in Chase Swearingen who previously committed to Kentucky but re-evaluated his option following a coaching change at Kentucky.

Chase is considered by Swimswam as one of the honourable mention recruits outside the top 20.
He has really good times and would be a great asset to the Aggies.

50 fly 20.99
100 fly 46.85
200 fly 1:47.92
200 IM 1:46.67
50 free 20.31
50 free relay split 19.73
100 free relay split 44.43
100 breast 54.85

He joins top 5 recruit Jacob Wimberly and Best of the rest freestyler Seth Tolentino as what could be a great 2024 recruiting class.

Jacob Wimberly best

100 fly: 46.26 (best in class)
200 fly: 1:45.11
50 free: 19.89
100 free: 43.44
200 free: 1:34.00
200 back: 1:43.82
200 IM: 1:44.08
400 IM: 3:51.05

Seth Tolentino best
50 free 20.1
100 free 44.3
200 free 1:38.1
Aceswimmer09
Need to steal NC State coach
triniaggie
AG
The Aggie men and women start their schedule against UIW today at 5.00pm

Aggies Kick Off Season Against UIW - Texas A&M Athletics - 12thMan.com

Aggies Host UIW to Begin Competition - Texas A&M Athletics - 12thMan.com

It has been reported though that some of the men have been suspended this fall over an hazing incident recently according to Swimswam. We will see who swims today.

Sources: Texas A&M Men's Swimmers Suspended for Fall Semester Over Hazing Incident (swimswam.com).

Live results can be obtain through a paid subscription on meet mobile. (I don't know why you have to now pay to get Aggie swimming results. Just crazy)

Meet Mobile App | Swim Meet App | ACTIVE
triniaggie
AG
Swimming and Diving Update

The Men and Women's team hosted Tennessee two week ago.

The No 25 Aggie women defeated the 6th ranked Tennessee with a final score of 169-131. The Tennessee women were missing 4 of their top swimmers who competed at the Pan American games. Still a solid win over a top 10 opponent.

The No. 13 Texas A&M men's swimming & diving team upset No. 6 Tennessee, 171.5-111.5. Again Tennessee men were missing a top swimmer and diver. Baylor Nelson dominating with 3 individual wins.

Last Friday the Men and Women's Team Hosted Texas and Georgia Tech

The women lost to Texas with a score 148-114 but defeated Georgia Tech 192-103
Freshman Miranda Grana shined once again for the Maroon & White, claiming her best times of the season in the 100 (52.01) and 200 back (1:53.30). Chloe Stepanek earned a win of her own in the 200 free, clocking in her best time of the year at 1:44.15.

Hayden Miller made her mark in Texas A&M history by breaking the school record in the 1000 free, touching the wall at 9:33.45. The previous record was 9:33.76 set by Sarah Henry in 2013.

The men defeated Texas for the 2nd time in 61 years with a score of 143-119 and also defeated Georgia Tech by 189-111
Baylor Nelson placing first in the 200 free (1:33.97), 200 back (1:42.34) and 400 IM (3:46.13). Foote registered season bests in both the 50 free with the time of 19.92 and the 100 fly 46.01 for two first-place finishes.
Texas A&M dominated in the breaststroke as Alex Sanchez touched the wall first in both the 100 breast (52.86) and the 200 breast (1:54.76) while Logan Brown was right behind him, placing third in in both events.

Overall both teams looked good and I expected some great times at the Art Adamson Meet Invite in two weeks time. The Aggie women are looking much better than the past couple of years and have already qualified a couple of athletes and relay to NCAA before they host their Invite and SEC championship. I really think the women is a top 15 team rather than a 25 ranked team.

The women team have so far gotten 1 A cut (4x100 medley relay) and 16 B cuts.
The men already has 19 B cuts.

aggiebq14
AG
Good start to the Art Adamson invitational yesterday.

DAY 1 RESULTS

The Men are in the lead with 492 points to LSU's 298 points
G - 200 Free Relay (NCAA-A cut) {B Nelson, C Foote, C Nelson, C Conklin}
G - 400 Medley Relay {T Shomper, A Sanchez, C Foote, B Nelson}
G - Baylor Nelson - 200 IM
S - 400 Medley Relay {T Hulet, L Brown, C Conklin, C Nelson}
S - Connor Foote - 50 Free
S - Logan Brown - 200 IM
S - Trey Dickey - 500 Free
B - Clay Conklin - 50 Free
B - Alex Sanchez - 200 IM

The Women lead UCLA 315 points to 260 points.
G - 400 Medley Relay {M Grana, B Kennett, O Theall, C Stepanek}
G - Abby Grottle - 500 Free
S - 200 Free Relay {O Theall, C Stepanek, K Owens, B Kennett}
S - Chloe Stepanek - 500 Free
B - Hayden Miller - 500 Free
taylorswift13_
Love the great start to the season!
aggiebq14
AG
Another good day for the Aggies at the Adamson Invite.

DAY 2 RESULTS

The men widened their lead ending the day with 1035 points. In 2nd is LSU with only 653.5 points.
The women improved to 781 points with UCLA behind them with 570 points.

Top swims from the ladies include
  • GOLD - 200 Medley Relay (M Grana, B Kennett, O Theall, C Stepanek)
  • GOLD - Olivia Thrall; 100 Fly
  • GOLD - Chloe Stepanek; 200 Free
  • GOLD - Miranda Brana; 100 Back
  • GOLD - 800 Free Relay (J Buechler, A Grottle, G Goerigk, C Stepanek)
  • SILVER - Giulia Goerigk; 400 IM
  • SILVER - Bobbie Kennett; 100 Breast
  • SILVER - Jordan Buechler; 100 Back
  • BRONZE - Katie Walker; 100 Fly
  • BRONZE - Charlotte Longbottom; 100 Breast

Top swims for the men include
  • GOLD - 200 Medley Relay (T Shomper, A Sanchez, C Foote, B Nelson)
  • GOLD - Baylor Nelson; 400 IM {NCAA-A cut}
  • GOLD - Connor Foote; 100 Fly
  • GOLD - Thomas Shomper; 100 Back
  • GOLD - 800 Free Relay (B Nelson, C Foote, M Vega Cuevas, T Dickey)
  • SILVER - Max Vega Cuevas; 400 IM
  • SILVER - Clay Conklin; 100 Fly
  • SILVER - Alex Sanchez; 100 Breast
  • SILVER - Tyler Hulet; 100 Back
  • BRONZE - Munzy Kabbara; 400 IM
  • BRONZE - Logan Brown; 100 Breast

Diving is also going really well but final scores aren't getting posted for some reason
RJH10
AG
My 8-year-old son is a swimmer, and we'd like to take him to watch an Aggie swim meet at the rec center. Do we need tickets for this? Any tips?
Look Out Below
AG
Swimming is typically free of charge. Just walk in the front of the main Rec Center entrance and go to the right up the steps.
RJH10
AG
Great, thank you!
TRM
AG
Bump for SEC Championships

https://sidearmstats.com/auburn/swim/
TRM
AG
halco87
Women finished 3rd, Men 4th.

SEC individual champions:

Baylor Nelson 200 IM, 400 IM. First man to sweep the IM's at SEC's in consecutive years since 1994

Alex Sanchez 200 Breast (broke school records in 100 & 200 breast)

Victor Povzner 1m diving

Joslyn Oakley 1m diving

Also school records for Connor Foote (50 free, 100 fly) and Miranda Grana (100 back). I might have missed someone else.
Faustus
Women's qualifiers for swimming (diving still has competition yet to go) were announced today.

Here is the list by team:
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/default-source/timesdocuments/ncaa/w-div-i-selected-swimmers-by-team.pdf

A&M has 12 swimmers for 18 events.

Virginia looks likely to run away with their fourth consecutive title with 18 swimmers qualifying in 40 events.
aggierogue
AG
Aceswimmer09 said:

Need to steal NC State coach
Virginia's Todd DeSorbo is at the top of my wish list.

Why can't A&M be among the elite in swimming?
Aceswimmer09
We should be, I wonder who will be hired. A promotion from within would be horrible. Our recruiting on the women's side has been horrendous not even really getting top 30 program recruits….its ridiculous.
aggierogue
AG
Aceswimmer09 said:

We should be, I wonder who will be hired. A promotion from within would be horrible. Our recruiting on the women's side has been horrendous not even really getting top 30 program recruits….its ridiculous.

Could it have anything to do with Bultman retiring? Have we shared our plan to replace him?
TRM
AG
Recruiting had taken a turn down even before that. I want to say before Tanica left for UH, it was trending down even with our mid 2010 run.
aggierogue
AG
Cody Miller said on his podcast that the longhorns have hired a search panel/committee to replace Eddie Reese. Said it's common for football or basketball but unheard of in swimming.

Names he mentioned for possible replacements were current longhorn assistants and NC State and Virginia coaches.
Reality Check
aggierogue said:

Cody Miller said on his podcast that the longhorns have hired a search panel/committee to replace Eddie Reese. Said it's common for football or basketball but unheard of in swimming.

Names he mentioned for possible replacements were current longhorn assistants and NC State and Virginia coaches.
Bowman.

https://texassports.com/news/2024/4/1/mens-swimming-and-diving-bowman-named-director-of-swimming-and-diving-at-texas.aspx
How do I get a Longhorn tag?
aggierogue
AG
Reality Check said:

aggierogue said:

Bowman.

https://texassports.com/news/2024/4/1/mens-swimming-and-diving-bowman-named-director-of-swimming-and-diving-at-texas.aspx
Big hire for them. Hopefully we do something big to replace Bultman.
Aceswimmer09
Falling further and further behind.
Reality Check
Aceswimmer09 said:

Falling further and further behind.
Despite assurances from the former athletic director, the $75 million buyout is going to be absolutely devastating to every non-revenue program, including men's and women's swimming and diving. It's complete fiction that their budgets won't be impacted.

Maintaining a Top 20 program -- especially for the women as they go through the coaching transition -- is going to be an accomplishment on both sides. Approaching the Top 10 will be an absolute show of excellence on their behalf.
Reality Check
Texas A&M to (Re) Combine Men's and Women's Swimming & Diving Programs

BRYAN-COLLEGE STATION Texas A&M Director of Athletics Trev Alberts announced the department's plan to combine the men's and women's swimming & diving program Friday afternoon.

With the retirement of women's swimming & diving head coach Steve Bultman this year after an impressive 25 years at the helm, the decision was made to create a new position that would lead both programs moving forward. A national search for a Director of Texas A&M Swimming & Diving has begun as the department continues its work with search firm TurnkeyZRG.

https://12thman.com/news/2024/4/5/mens-swimming-and-diving-texas-am-to-combine-mens-and-womens-swimming-diving-programs?fbclid=IwAR1rBWHZB7X5NxHtrf-mTjAyzWRc5J6RouwV5WvKlm4Zh2ln_hYKnREvIoE_aem_AWGsWufXMSGxZlehUHD2ylNcTooTL6d_tjHf4RaQB5vmsAYhyQ2LheC5AWFMn59zFWlRemWy2Sr_yoLHEWF0C81W
taylorswift13_
Have no knowledge of anything in the swimming world, but if we can get a monster hire is this a great move?
HeyAbbott
AG
A cost cutting move there but hopefully we can find a good director of swimming and diving.
aggierogue
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

Have no knowledge of anything in the swimming world, but if we can get a monster hire is this a great move?
Yes.

As I understand it, the sips are doing the same and DeSorbo runs both the men's and women's teams at Virginia.
Deke
AG
Sounds good, saves both teams.
NomadicAggie
AG
I have to be careful what I say, but my son is a heavily recruited D1 swimmer from a club that sends a ton of kids to D1 swim programs. The club coach is not a fan of the Aggie program, and none of his top swimmers are heading to A&M. These are some of the most highly recruited kids in the country. As an Aggie myself, I find it upsetting as I would like to see my son at A&M, but I can't argue with current status of program (not great).
Faustus
NomadicAggie said:

I have to be careful what I say, but my son is a heavily recruited D1 swimmer from a club that sends a ton of kids to D1 swim programs. Within the club, it is widely discussed that A&M swimming has had a drug issue, and now this. The club coach is not a fan of the Aggie program, and none of his top swimmers are heading to A&M. These are some of the most highly recruited kids in the country. As an Aggie myself, I find it upsetting as I would like to see my son at A&M, but I can't argue with current status of program (not great).

I'm not sure that qualifies as careful.
oragator
Nesty runs both at UF as well, fwiw.
NomadicAggie
AG
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just a parent. I only hear what all the kids and coaches are talking about.
TRM
AG
Good hire with Bachman.

UVA Associate Head Coach Blaire Bachman To Be Director of Swimming and Diving At Texas A&M (swimswam.com)

Blaire Bachman Virginia Cavaliers Official Athletic Site (virginiasports.com)
Quote:

Blaire Bachman joined the UVA coaching staff in August 2017 as an assistant coach, serving as the women's recruiting coordinator and primary coach for the upper middle distance training group. Since arriving in Charlottesville, Bachman has aided in the recruitment of the No. 1 & No. 2 women's recruiting classes and No. 3 & No. 9 men's recruiting classes in the NCAA.

Bachman helped guide Virginia's women's team to the program's first NCAA Championship in 2020-21. UVA won six national titles in individual and relay events at the NCAA Championships, the most ever by an ACC program. The Cavaliers had 12 athletes named to CSCAA All-America Teams (10 first team and two second team). Virginia also won its third women's ACC Championship in four years, and league-record 17th overall.

In her third year with the Cavaliers, Bachman helped the women's team secure the ACC Championship title with the highest point score in history and the men's team finishing as the runner-up in February 2020. Among those athletes representing Virginia, she helped coached Paige Madden to three ACC individual titles and ACC Female Athlete of the Year award. Additionally middle distance athletes, Ella Nelson and Abigail Richter set UVA school records in the 400 IM and 200 breaststroke.

In 2018-19, Bachman coached six athletes to the NCAA Championships with Zach Fong, Paige Madden, Emma Seiberlich and Abby Richter earning All-America honors. Madden represented the U.S. at the Pan American Games. Her athletes helped the Cavalier women finish sixth at the NCAA Championships, the third best finish in program history, and the men's team record its best finish since 2011, placing 10th overall.

In Bachman's first year with the program, she coached six student-athletes to the NCAA Championships, in addition to coaching the 2018 women's ACC 200-yard backstroke champion and a 2018 World University Games qualifier in the 200-yard freestyle. Her swimmers set two school records over the course of the season, helping to set new standards for UVA.

Bachman has had eight years of coaching experience at the club and college level. From 2016-17, she served as the assistant swimming coach and women's recruiting coordinator for Indiana University. During her time with the Hoosiers, the program captured a 2017 Big Ten Conference Championship before concluding the year with a top-8 finish on both sides.

Prior to Indiana, Bachman spent a year as the assistant swimming coach and women's recruiting coordinator for Dartmouth (2015-16) after following a five-year stint (2010-15) as the head swim coach and aquatics director for Brenau.

With Brenau, Bachman was named the 2014 NAIA Swimming and Diving Women's Coach of the Year, while earning the Appalachian Swimming Conference Women's Coach of the Year in 2012-13-14. Bachman is a four-time American Swimming Coaches Association Coach of Excellence honoree (2011-12-13-14). In 2010-11, her first season at Brenau, she became the youngest head coach in the nation.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.