****Swimming and Diving 2023-2024****

6,883 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by aggiebq14
coloradoag69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A&M has occasionally broken into the top five for swimming and diving, but in my memory we've been mostly a top 15 squad for both the men and women.

For any of those of you who are knowledgeable about collegiate swimming and diving, what does it take to get into national championship consideration, at least occasionally? Are we committed to that, or do you think Alberts is satisfied where we are and this is a cost saving measure?
aggierogue
AG
NomadicAggie said:

I have to be careful what I say, but my son is a heavily recruited D1 swimmer from a club that sends a ton of kids to D1 swim programs. The club coach is not a fan of the Aggie program, and none of his top swimmers are heading to A&M. These are some of the most highly recruited kids in the country. As an Aggie myself, I find it upsetting as I would like to see my son at A&M, but I can't argue with current status of program (not great).
Have heard the same. My daughter swims on a club team, and her coach is not a fan of Holmes. He likes Bultman, but he wouldn't let his son swim at A&M. They didn't even take a visit.

I feel the same as you. My daughter's dream is to swim for A&M. It's upsetting to me too. I find this to be a refreshing move hiring a key piece from Virginia's staff.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
I doubt any of the current staff will be retained.
aggiebq14
AG
She's new to being in the driver's seat - associate being the highest she's gone. I bet she keeps hold of a good few but lets the new one's go. I only see Holmes sticking it out for one year then calling it quits - I'm sure he wants to try and keep some traditions alive.
TRM
AG
She was the head coach at an NAIA school before taking D1 assistant roles.
aggiebq14
AG
NAIA is a big difference from D1
Lemmys Rickenbacker
aggiebq14 said:

She's new to being in the driver's seat - associate being the highest she's gone. I bet she keeps hold of a good few but lets the new one's go. I only see Holmes sticking it out for one year then calling it quits - I'm sure he wants to try and keep some traditions alive.

Holmes is not calling the shots anymore and if she needs help, she will bring in her people.
aggiebq14
AG
Very true. I have to agree with you there. IF Holmes is kept, I could only see him staying one season.

But I still can't see her getting rid of everyone - Calanog especially. Ever since he's been in the picture the quality of the male recruits has skyrocketed - look at how much we've improved over the past years. This year we signed the number 1 recruit in the country.

When it comes to the girls...they definitely need help. That side of the program has really gone down hill since Jamison left. I can see this new director - and her recruiting record - really helping them out.
aggiebq14
AG
Quote:

A&M has occasionally broken into the top five for swimming and diving, but in my memory we've been mostly a top 15 squad for both the men and women.

For any of those of you who are knowledgeable about collegiate swimming and diving, what does it take to get into national championship consideration, at least occasionally? Are we committed to that, or do you think Alberts is satisfied where we are and this is a cost saving measure?

Well I don't have exact figures for you but here's what it takes to even compete at the National Championship https://swimswam.com/ncaa-releases-2024-championship-standards-long-course-conversion-formula/

Ever since Calanog joined the staff in 2015 the quality of the swimmers being recruited has greatly improved as well as their performance at championships. However, ever since the women lost Jamison to Houston they haven't been able to keep up and it really showed at SEC's. The success in either of the programs over the past few years really looks like it's been coming from the associate head coaches - not the head coaches.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.